Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

Awning L.E.D light strip help

I have a 2017 Jayflight 24RBS and I bought a new light strip to replace my current one. My question is Whats the best way to replace it? A.. Pry the current light out of the channel and replace with the channel attached to rv or B.. Take the channel down and replace on the ground then reinstall the channel? Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question but I know someone has done it and can give some pointers.
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #2

I might consider going to Home Depot, in the paint department they have the 3M red outdoor tape in 1/4 in width. It's great stuff. Over the years I've used it in various widths for vehicle trim applications...what it was designed for. I'd apply it to the new strip and then affix the strip at one end by peeling a short length of the film backer away. Align the remaining light strip as you peel away a bit more of the backing while moving towards the finish line.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I might consider going to Home Depot, in the paint department they have the 3M red outdoor tape in 1/4 in width. It's great stuff. Over the years I've used it in various widths for vehicle trim applications...what it was designed for. I'd apply it to the new strip and then affix the strip at one end by peeling a short length of the film backer away. Align the remaining light strip as you peel away a bit more of the backing while moving towards the finish line.

Yeah I have the 3m tape but I was wondering about the track that it sits in.. I've watched several videos on YouTube but none show the track like I have. Every video I've seen just shows sticking it straight to the side of the Rv.
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

My strip is in a track. Like I said, that's how I would most likely do what you're trying. My trailer has a track.....not sure why you want to take it down. On mine the light strip just clicks into it.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

I did mine a few months ago. There's a youtube video that walks you thru the process. Easy peasy.

I did mine with the awning up and extended.
I think it took me about 30 mins total.

On ours, the light strip had an adhesive backing. I found a similar "outdoor rated, adhesive backed" 12V LED strip on Amazon for, gee around 10 or 15 bucks.

Zipped the old one off, put the old connector on the new strip, stuck new one up.