Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Awning Pull

Is there any known reason to put the awning pull in the middle of the awning? Is it ok to put it on the end where is is no awning just the aluminum roller?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

On our trailers with manal awnings I always kept the pull cord close to the the end where the release is. I didn't like the awning slamming up before I could get to the cord. We kept our last two trailers a total of 17 years with no awning problems.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Keep it in the center so as you are pulling it down you are pulling on the awning evenly. I've always used the metal rod to pull the awning down and let it roll up without slamming. Once the awning was rolled-out I would slide the pull off to one side and wrap it around the bar to keep it from blowing in the wind. Of course, now that we have the electric awning, I know longer have an awning pull.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

After opening the awning and securing it just slide the pull off at the end, one of the ends is open, and stow it in a compartment.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #5

I have my pull off to the side, It makes no difference where you pull from because of the spring.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
I have my pull off to the side, It makes no difference where you pull from because of the spring.
Yes, I think the spring is in the roller end where the release latch is.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Yes, I think the spring is in the roller end where the release latch is.
I'm not an expert on awnings, but I think whether you have one or two springs inside the awning tube may depend on the length and/or make of awning.

I have a 20' Carefree of Colorado awning on my TT and I there were springs in both ends. I know this because I installed a conversion kit Carefree sells that uses a crank system (similar to those you see on store front awnings) and you remove or disable the springs as part of the installation (I removed mine as it reduced the awning's weight by a few pounds). In my case, the spring on one end was broken and all I had to do was fish it out. However the spring on the opposite end wasn't and extreme caution had to be exercised when releasing the tension on the spring.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I'm not an expert on awnings, but I think whether you have one or two springs inside the awning tube may depend on the length and/or make of awning.

I have a 20' Carefree of Colorado awning on my TT and I there were springs in both ends. I know this because I installed a conversion kit Carefree sells that uses a crank system (similar to those you see on store front awnings) and you remove or disable the springs as part of the installation (I removed mine as it reduced the awning's weight by a few pounds). In my case, the spring on one end was broken and all I had to do was fish it out. However the spring on the opposite end wasn't and extreme caution had to be exercised when releasing the tension on the spring.
I am far from being any kind of expert on awnings. I can see where shorter awnings would have different construction than longer ones. Mechanically, it makes alot of sense to control the rolling from the center, and that is the way I do it. When rolling my smaller awning up from the middle, there seems to be more tension from the latch side. Or, maybe it's just my imagination. Sorry for making such a general statement.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I am far from being any kind of expert on awnings. I can see where shorter awnings would have different construction than longer ones. Mechanically, it makes alot of sense to control the rolling from the center, and that is the way I do it. When rolling my smaller awning up from the middle, there seems to be more tension from the latch side. Or, maybe it's just my imagination. Sorry for making such a general statement.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. My awning length is, most likely, the exception rather than the rule; especially in the newer RVs that have slide-outs on the right (passenger) side. Probably few, if any, of those with that option have a 20' awning.

A right sided slide-out wasn't even offered on Jayco Eagles back in 2000 so there was plenty of room to hang a longer awning.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #10

I have done mine both ways (in the middle and on the end. As long as the awning is in good working order and it rolls up evenly, I don't think it matters.
Where ever the strap is though, it gives the awning a slightly tighter wind at that spot, so I think with the strap in the middle, it makes it roll up more even. The way I do it now is release it on the end and while holding the roller down with some tension, I slide the strap to the middle and then let it up slow.

I replaced an awning on my sisters trailer a couple weeks ago, and it had a separate torsion spring in each end. Only the end with the release allowed extra tension adjustment with a ratchet action. After a couple trial pulls and adjustments, we had it working great.

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote