Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Axel weight less than listed trailer weight?

Hit the CAT scale yesterday after we loaded up and on our way out of town. I was pleased to see we were well under our GAWR and GCWR, but I noticed the axle weight of the trailer was slightly​ less than the factory trailer weight on the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer. Is this expected when connected to TV with WD hitch?

Sticker weight: 5551
CAT scale trailer axle weight: 5340

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer weight includes both axle weight and tongue weight. When hitched up the tongue weight is being carried by the TV though the wdh will redistribute some of that back to trailer axle(s) and the TV steer axle . When you are unhooked it is being carried by the tongue jack. Regardless of what is supporting the tongue weight it is still part of the overall trailer weight.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Did you disconnect and include the tongue weight? Tongue weight is included in GVW.

If you added a battery, box, propane, water, anything inside, dealer and sometimes factory options they will all be added to factory GVW.

The Weight Distribution Hitch takes some of the weight of the trailer and adds it to the frame of the tow vehicle. The purpose of the hitch is to level the trailer and vehicle and prevent all the tongue weight which is part of the GVW and trailer load from ending up on the back axel of the tow vehicle.

If to much of the tongue weight ends up on the back axel the front wheels don't have enough weight to steer and brake correctly.

Please read up on weight distribution hitches and why you use them. There are a lot of posts and threads discussing this. It is a huge safety issue!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

Thanks and figured as much. I'm no expert but understand the concepts of the WD hitch but just needed some clarification on my observations and confirm my thoughts. This is our first​ TV and TT with our second time out, so still learning and reading a lot on here. Appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk