Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Axle nut fell off

Have a 2013 Jay Flight 22FB. My wife was driving three miles from our house, and the front axle started smoking on the driver's side. Figured a bearing went out. Took it to a repair shop to have it looked at. They are telling me the axle nut came off, destroyed the axle, and the axle now needs replaced. The wheel has never been off, and since the camper doesn't see 500 miles a year, I have never repacked the bearings. Has anyone else had this happen?
bomberkid84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberkid84 View Post
Have a 2013 Jay Flight 22FB. My wife was driving three miles from our house, and the front axle started smoking on the driver's side. Figured a bearing went out. Took it to a repair shop to have it looked at. They are telling me the axle nut came off, destroyed the axle, and the axle now needs replaced. The wheel has never been off, and since the camper doesn't see 500 miles a year, I have never repacked the bearings. Has anyone else had this happen?
The cotter key came out somehow. Just another reason to check/repack the bearings annually.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The cotter key came out somehow. Just another reason to check/repack the bearings annually.
Some of the new axles don't use a cotter key, they have a stamped sheet metal nut retainer.
or
Attached Thumbnails
index.png  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #4

[QUOTE=us71na;779769]Some of the new axles don't use a cotter key,

As Grumpy said “Just another reason to check/repack the bearings annually “
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberkid84 View Post
The wheel has never been off, and since the camper doesn't see 500 miles a year, I have never repacked the bearings. Has anyone else had this happen?
Hate to say, but others are right. Checking the bearings is a good maintenance thing that can save you from being stranded on the road side. fortunately you were not stranded. If you tow 500 miles per year, I would not pull the hubs every year, but every 2-3 years for sure.

I would want to see the damage before accepting that your axle is shot, but if it was smoking, that definable indicates some problem. I'm not sure of the spindle was damaged and not sure if just the spindle can be replaced.? I'm sorry this happened. This could have been much worse tho!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

I have seen spindles get so hot they turned blue. We were parked at a Flying J when a 5th wheel pulled in, leaning badly on the right side. When they pulled up to the pumps we saw that the whole right rear wheel assembly was missing , gone, disappeared! Just a snapped off spindle sticking out. The guy got out and proceeded to fuel his TV so I went over and asked him if he knew his wheel was missing. He stared in disbelief when he walked over and saw it was gone. He said he had no idea when or where it came off and they had been driving for the past 5 hours!

He said they were on a 4 week vacation and had just gotten the bearings and brakes serviced before they left home, 1500 miles behind them. This happened on a Sunday when all the shops were closed, so the spent the night at Flying J.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #7

Happened to me over New Years, this year on, a 2006 Sunset Creek TT. Trailer probably had less than 15,000 miles. Had the wheels inspected, brakes services and bearings packed two years before (less than 3,000 miles after service). Fellow pulled up beside me in rural Mississippi and told me my wheel was on fire. It wasn't, just smoking healthily. Immediately pulled off - fortunately at a good place. Same issue, cotter pin/retaining clip was lost and axle end was damaged. I was able to resurface the metal and fit the replacement bearing on it. This happened on 12/30, Sunday, and I was able to find a shop on Monday morning that was able to sell me the likely parts, and guide me with what I had to do. I spend two days with emery cloth strips resurfacing, and finally got the bearings on. After checking all three remaining wheels, I towed it to the trailer shop, and they tore it down and looked at it. They said it was good to go, and we finished our trip.

Lessons learned:
1. Check axle nuts regularly
2. Grease regularly
3. Keep an eye out for others - the guy that warned me sure saved us! The tire literaly fell off when I jacked it up.
2007 Ford F-250 CC - Forcibly Retired
2006 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 312BHDS - Retired
mbwatson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

About every other fuel fill up I will check the temperature of my wheel hubs just as a precaution. Never had a major issue but have found one wheel running 30 40 degree's hotter than the other. Shot great in it and all was good...Just a 1 minute procedure while fuel is being pumped. Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
About every other fuel fill up I will check the temperature of my wheel hubs just as a precaution. Never had a major issue but have found one wheel running 30 40 degree's hotter than the other. Shot great in it and all was good...Just a 1 minute procedure while fuel is being pumped. Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure.

Good Luck..
I do a walk around our trailer every time I stop for fuel and feel the tires and the hubs. I also check hitch and electrical connection.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

X3 on checking;
Attached Images

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I do a walk around our trailer every time I stop for fuel and feel the tires and the hubs. I also check hitch and electrical connection.
X2 on walk around and tire/hub temp check when we pull off for a pit stop for us, or the dogs, or for lunch. Our fuel stops aren't frequent enough.

Plus, if the rig has been left unattended, before pulling out I do a walk around to be sure all hitch equipment etc. looks good.

We've never had a tire/hub issue our anyone mess with our hitch etc. and that's just the way I like it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote