Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

axles slx 212 QBW

Got my trailer last year and like quite a few things about it. After delivery I did the normal things I do to a new trailer like reseal the whole thing tighten all plumbing etc. Nothing out of the norm for a RV. However I notice the axles under the tanks only have 1 1/2 inches of clearance. Never noticed it buying it as the underbelly was sagging and I thought that was all it was. Would have been a deal breaker. Talked to dealer and they agreed it was to close,, so they called Jayco no luck on changing it. So I called Jayco the guy on the other end did not get that axles go up and down over bumps. I can do the springover easy enough but I did buy a new trailer and this seems like a design flaw. Not sure where to go from here?
It is not first one they ever built. Thanks.
kayco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #2

Stick a go pro under and go over speed bumps. Either it hits or doesn’t. If it doesn’t hit then jayco can’t be expected to fix something that isn’t broke. Seems like a hypothetical concern right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

Try pressing up on the area where the underbelly is sagging. If it's just the cover sagging, and the cover itself pushes up a few inches without hitting any brackets or a tank, then IMO you have nothing pressing to worry about. That would give you ~3" of clearance. Suspension travel on a travel trailer is very minimal under normal conditions.

Now, on the other hand, if you have 1 1/2" from the axle to something hard, and structural, underneath the underbelly cover, then maybe you may have something to be concerned about.

If it was me (and it's just the underbelly cover sagging) I would purchase some angle iron and mount it across the underbelly (from frame rail to frame rail) to lift up the underbelly cover to give it some added support.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

Seen it with underbelly off. It is 1 1/2 inches at rest. 2x2 just slides in between. Tech used it to hold up under belly when they changed out tank for a different reason.Going to put some underbelly supports in anyway.
Have changed out axles etc and built many trailers. Just trying to get them to fix it.Otherwise I will do it. Have done axle flip on quite a few trailers. My fault I did not catch on. Expected it to be just the underbelly sagging. And yes it touches going over a speed bump or something like it. Want about 2" of lift not the 4 3/8" you get with spring over because I park it under a roof and that is getting to close to roof. Might just cut off hangers and weld in a 2x2 tube spacer. Have lifted fifth wheels that way for new style boxes when the flip was not enough. Lippert makes correct trac that gives you 2" of lift but it costs more than I want to spend for a lift. Fabricator by trade so thats just a easy job.
kayco53 is offline   Reply With Quote