Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2024, 01:42 PM   #1

Back rack on 2024 Jay feather

We bought if a 2024 Jay Feather 21 mml (if we ever get it)
does this RV support putting a bike rack on the back?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:50 PM   #2

If it has the square rear bumper, NO. A bike rack puts too much flex on it since the weight hangs out past it.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:49 AM   #3

Also, if it does have the square hollow rear bumper that is made to hold the sewer hose, you can put these safety struts on for additional support:

https://mount-n-lock.com/safetystrut...umper-failure/

Follow there directions on which kit you need and then you can get them on Amazon or a local RV dealer.

We had these on our old trailer and I had a rack on the back for additional storage and I never had an issue.

I'm going to install these on our current 2019 Feather 27RL just for piece of mind, since the spare tire is attached to the bumper.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:09 AM   #4

I would advise against putting a bike rack on the back of any travel trailer regardless of bumper or integrated hitch. Read the specs for just about any bike rack and you will see that almost all specifically say "not for RV use" (Swagman is the exception that I know of).
Drive a few minutes behind any trailer with one of these on the interstate and you will quickly understand why. These are designed to be mounted on a vehicle where they are a couple of feet behind the axle. On a travel trailer, they can be 10 or more feet behind the axle. The amount of bounce and whip in the rack is greatly amplified, and a good bump can break the bumper, hitch or rack.
Personally I use a tongue mounted bike rack which rides a lot more smoothly between the TV and TT. I also run a 'bounce' strap down to the frame to prevent some of the whip effect. I also like that I can actually see the bikes in my rear-view mirror. Having a couple of thousand dollars of toys experiencing a rough ride where you can't see them behind the trailer can be anxiety inducing.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Also, if it does have the square hollow rear bumper that is made to hold the sewer hose, you can put these safety struts on for additional support:

https://mount-n-lock.com/safetystrut...umper-failure/
thanks, bookmarked this idea for the future .
On time I built a rack system that slid into the RV frame and carried the 400Lb motorcycle on back, but added weight on back of RV caused additional sway because of the weight transfer, and this was a 5th wheel .

soon after I bought a used pickup camper just for the motorcycle trips.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:20 PM   #6

I have a new Jayflight 210QB and am considering the Safety Struts with a bike rack on the bumper. But I wonder if drilling holes in the frame for the Safety Struts will void the manufacturer's warranty. Does anyone know if the warranty will be impacted?
BuckeyJoe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:43 PM   #7

Actually I can't get a hose in my hollow bumper because Jayco screwed the support jack to the bumper and a screw sticking through won't allow me to put a hose in. Jayco says that is by design even though the owner's manual specifically says there is either an outside compartment or the hollow bumper for hose storage. I don't have a dedicated compartment for a sewer hose so the bumper should be it, right? A very rude customer service rep told me Jayco reserves the right to change the design and owners manual anytime they want.
EclipseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseChaser View Post
Actually I can't get a hose in my hollow bumper because Jayco screwed the support jack to the bumper and a screw sticking through won't allow me to put a hose in. Jayco says that is by design even though the owner's manual specifically says there is either an outside compartment or the hollow bumper for hose storage. I don't have a dedicated compartment for a sewer hose so the bumper should be it, right? A very rude customer service rep told me Jayco reserves the right to change the design and owners manual anytime they want.
Who told you that? The dealer?
Sounds like something the dealer would do and say to get out of them being responsible.

I would contact Jayco directly and ask them.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 PM   #9

I did talk to Jayco, that's who told me.
EclipseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 02:41 PM   #10

Jayco 21 mml - ebike rack

I have a 2024 Jayco 21MML and have an EBike rack mounted on the rear bumper. I have not had any issues at all with carrying 2 Ebikes at 75lbs. each. I purchased both the Ubolt receiver hitch and 2 Ebike rack from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1874.jpg  
Nevada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Mike View Post
I have a 2. 024 Jayco 21MML and have an EBike rack mounted on the rear bumper. I have not had any issues at all with carrying 2 Ebikes at 75lbs. each. I purchased both the Ubolt receiver hitch and 2 Ebike rack from Amazon.
One day, some lucky duck may get two slightly banged up Ebikes for free!
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
One day, some lucky duck may get two slightly banged up Ebikes for free!
And my insurance will buy me 2 new Ebikes!
Nevada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
And my insurance will buy me 2 new Ebikes!
Awesome! Let me know next time you go camping down a bumpy road. I'll buy you a beer. We can go on our new ebikes! 😁
Old 04-27-2024, 05:22 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. About how many miles have you travelled with the ebikes on the bumper? Also, is your bumper the standard 4" square with no reinforcement?
BuckeyJoe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:24 AM   #15

Be very careful carrying e-bikes to the back of an RV. The bikes are heavy, the load hangs out a fair amount, and road conditions can very significantly. Some metro areas and construction zone roads can be brutal. I have seen a few trailers pulled over dealing with failed racks.

I carry 2 e-bikes and 2 kayaks. I added a double receiver hitch connected directly to the frame. Included a shock to dampen out any vibration/bouncing.
Attached Thumbnails
E Hitch Mount.jpg   G Shock 2.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:58 PM   #16

I added a front receiver hitch to my F-150 to solve the Ebike weight issues.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRey View Post
I added a front receiver hitch to my F-150 to solve the Ebike weight issues.
Got a picture of how it looks with the bikes loaded?
Old 05-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #18

Quote:
I checked and I don't have a picture with the Ebike on the rack. It is a Saris rack. To improve visibility, I mount the bike with the handle bars on the passenger side.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:56 AM   #19

Quote:
I have a 2024 Jayco 21MML and have an EBike rack mounted on the rear bumper. I have not had any issues at all with carrying 2 Ebikes at 75lbs. each. I purchased both the Ubolt receiver hitch and 2 Ebike rack from Amazon.
Its just a matter of time before you have a problem with just a bike rack mounted to the portable receiver bolted to your typical sewer bumper. E bikes in particular, as you probably know comes in so many different models and weights, completely different from regular pedal bikes. Its just a matter of time before you experience a problem, with just a single mounted receiver in the middle of the bumper.

Of course there will be a lot of people that have defied the practice. But short of the constant twisting on the thin wall sewer bumper that takes place when bikes are hung on them, if someone uses the bumper to store a sewer hose, the residue water left in the hose will rust the interior over a short period of time and let go.

Folks never really pay attention to the inside of the bumper and its slow demise of the crappy and marginal metal intended to only carry the disposable sewer hose. This could be a disaster as you travel down the road for other vehicles behind you.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:07 AM   #20

Quote:
If you have a gas Ford, which I don't know, then some of the trucks have an active air dam, you cannot install a front receiver on the truck.