Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Back up lamps

After setting up camp in a heavily wooded campsite after dark this past weekend I am considering mounting back-up / spot lights on the rear of our 2007 29BHS. I would like something to light the area behind me yet not blind anyone. Curious if anyone has done this and what you used for lamps. Also, would it be better to mount the lamps above bumper or below bumper near the scissor jacks.

Thanks,
RB
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #2

I mounted a set of lamps on a frame crossmember. they are about 2' in from the rear bumper. They work nicely because they don't shine up...just out. I also have a set mounted under the rear bumper of my truck that lights up the area in front of the trailer tires as well.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

My solution has been to send out my wife with a headlamp and handheld flood to light up the site. First get out and do a walk around looking for stumps, posts, etc down low and then scan up for overhanging branches and other obstructions. Problem I have with mounting backup lights, is you almost never need them and when you do you still have to get them turned on. No need doing all the wiring when the significant other can do a better job and give you verbal feedback in the process. Never would attempt such a task by myself.

Other solution is to mount clamp on or magnetic mounted flood to the ladder or the rear bumper that can be removed and stored when its not needed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Turning them on is easy...they are wired into the back up light circuit at the junction block for the 7-pin connector, they turn on every time I put the truck in R. Just run 1 wire to the lights. Very simple!
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

I know its hard to see in this pic but the PO had mounted a second porch light on the back to help with night hook-up. Works great and its even helped some fellow CG neighbors with their hook ups too. It has a weather proof switch in the bottom for convience.

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

I got some on our trailer, never used them to back into sight but used them at night to find things out back. They work good.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

I have thought about doing this as well. I was planning to use the back up lamp circuit from the 7 pin to drive a relay. The lights would be powered by the camper battery. I thought about doing it this way so I don't have to worry about the wire gauge of the TV back up circuit, blowing fuses and such. I could also switch it in a way that it is useful without the truck hookup as well. Sometimes when the coons get awnry it would be handy having a rear "porch" light.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote