Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Backing In Tips - Ten Feet More Trailer

For the last 7 years, I had a 2004 Jay Feather 23B. We decided to upgrade and in a couple of days we'll be picking up our 2018 Jay Flight SLX 284BHS. This is ten feet more of trailer.

Backing in and such has never been my strong suit. I'm wondering if there are any tips or anything I should know to make this process easier. I'm nervous about many different aspects involved with the newer, bigger trailer, but for right now, the backing in part is my biggest worry.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #2

You should be fine. Smaller trailers are harder to back. IMO. Larger trailers turn slower but more controlled than smaller trailers
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

I agree 100% you should be able to maneuver the larger trailer a lot easier than the smaller one. As always just take your time and it never hurts to get out and double check.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

big parking lot
Four orange cones
Practice!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

36' fiver can get in almost any space, some times in 10 minutes some times 30 minutes. Just patience...........
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #6

Believe it or not, it is actually easier to back in a longer trailer.

Practice a few times and you will be fine.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
You should be fine. Smaller trailers are harder to back. IMO. Larger trailers turn slower but more controlled than smaller trailers
Agreed with the smaller trailers being a pain. I had a 16ft trailer that was harder to back than my 30ft Jayco.

Here are some tips I can offer:
  1. Put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel when backing up. Then you just move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go...hand moves right, rear of trailer goes right.
  2. A backup camera helps, I have a Furrion wireless observation camera and it makes it so much easier to get in and out of tight spots.
  3. Check the mirrors
  4. Don't be afraid to pull back forward and reset...I usually never get it perfect the first time.
  5. Don't get frustrated with your significant other who is making random spastic hand motions trying to communicate that they want the trailer to levitate and move several feet in one direction or another. The rest of your trip will suffer if you make any negative comments about this situation.

To be honest I find the hardest problem I have with the longer trailer is pulling into and out of areas with narrow entrances. I catch curbs sometimes if there isn't enough turn width. Having an extra 15ft of trailer and an extra set of axles can make things interesting getting into and out of the gas stations in smaller towns.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train View Post
True. Having backed multiple trailers over the years, the most difficult one has been a very short single-bike trailer for hauling my motorcycle. That is one tough trailer to maneuver in reverse!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

Backing In Tips - Ten Feet More Trailer

Those little trailers have a mind of their own sometimes. Especially when you can barely see it from the driver's seat!
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #10

Agree that bigger trailers back in easier BUT, they also take more space when maneuvering. Like it is said above, until you get comfortable........ GET OUT AND LOOK ....OFTEN!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #11

Use a spotter with a radio. DW is my spotter and we have gotten it down pretty good after several years. I she can't see you, you can't see her signals so radios are a must. Use specific and understandable words. A little more to the left isn't as good as 2 more feet to the drivers side. Get out before you begin backing to get a good look at the space.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #12

I am very new to this as well, in fact you have more experience backing then I do. I always back on my own, as SWMBO would be utterly useless and I am sure she would agree with me. It helps when I need to move the trailer from the storage yard on my own. My biggest thing is go slowly anyone with a trailer on the back will understand and GOAL (get out and look)

For professional tips (Mike is currently a Class A Instructor/Examiner in Ohio) watch this video, when I remember the advice in this video my backing goes so much better. https://youtu.be/p1B5d_K2__4
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Agree that bigger trailers back in easier BUT, they also take more space when maneuvering. Like it is said above, until you get comfortable........ GET OUT AND LOOK ....OFTEN!
GOAL!
I wish DH did.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

Patience and knowing others in the campground are no better at it than you. Don't be ashamed to abort mission and make the loop again to cool down.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #15

This may not work for everyone, but I frequently put out one or two "sighter" boards, i.e., 1-1.5 foot pieces of 2x4 at the spot I want my driver's side trailer wheels to end up and then watch them in my rear view mirror. It works until I get totally straight lined up with the trailer with my tow vehicle and can't quite see the boards anymore, so you may still have to "get out and look" a time or two, but it helps quite a bit. I keep two boards at my storage site slot and can basically just pull up and back right in and when the rear trailer tire on that side bumps over one of the boards and snugs up the next one, then I'm spot on for having it just in the right position. The catch is you have to be used to backing up and maneuvering by looking into the rear view mirrors, which some folks have a bit of trouble with. Anyway, for whatever it's worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #16

It's all in the attitude.

Victory is NOT getting your trailer backed in quickly.

Victory is getting your trailer backed in without damaging the trailer, your tow vehicle, or anything else, and especially not hurting someone else, or yourself. It doesn't matter how long it takes, or how big an audience you attract.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
This may not work for everyone, but I frequently put out one or two "sighter" boards, i.e., 1-1.5 foot pieces of 2x4 at the spot I want my driver's side trailer wheels to end up and then watch them in my rear view mirror. It works until I get totally straight lined up with the trailer with my tow vehicle and can't quite see the boards anymore, so you may still have to "get out and look" a time or two, but it helps quite a bit. I keep two boards at my storage site slot and can basically just pull up and back right in and when the rear trailer tire on that side bumps over one of the boards and snugs up the next one, then I'm spot on for having it just in the right position. The catch is you have to be used to backing up and maneuvering by looking into the rear view mirrors, which some folks have a bit of trouble with. Anyway, for whatever it's worth.
I do something similar. If there's not a good landmark, make your own!

Also, in some deep sites it's easiest to get yourself backed in as far as possible, even if your final location is further forward.

Or if you've been driving a long time and are ready to snap from family-induced road rage, just get backed in anywhere on the site and turn off the truck for fifteen minutes. Fine tuning your position can wait until you are in a safer state of mind.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoran View Post
  1. Don't get frustrated with your significant other who is making random spastic hand motions trying to communicate that they want the trailer to levitate and move several feet in one direction or another. The rest of your trip will suffer if you make any negative comments about this situation.

How do you know my wife?

My personal favorite is the pained/frightened look, and the hand over her mouth, like I'm about to hit something but she refuses to tell me to stop. That's 2nd only to when I go to hook up, and she waits to tell me to stop, when I'm all the way back, and THEN lets me know I need to go 6in one way or another.

It's nice to know Im not alone.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #19

Like others have said, a longer trailer is generally easier to back than a short one.

Before starting to backup, we both agree where the trailer needs to be.
Using 2way radios works for us for difficult situations. BUT, because of the transmit lag, the DW does ALL the talking. If I need to ask her something, I stop and get out of the truck. Otherwise, I maneuver, pull forward or backward etc. while she watches out for stuff I can't see.

We use unambiguous hand signals for most campsites. She holds her arm in the direction the rear of the trailer needs to go. When the trailer is where we want it, I get the 'Touchdown!" signal.

We have a rule, too, that if I can't see her, I won't move (Sadly, there are depressing stories out there about RV accidents when backing etc. at campsites.).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #20

Suggest you develop teamwork if possible. DW and I work together using hand signals, no shouting. If we need verbal communication the outside person comes up to the driver's window.

We each take turns behind the wheel, but she's better at guiding me over the coupler. About equal backing the tt.

Patience and Practice!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote