Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Backup Camera

Bought a backup camera kit and it came in on Friday. I also bought a waterproof battery pack for the camera but after looking at my trailer back end I thought I could wire the camera and the wireless transmitter to the rear signal light

I pulled off the cover and found a black wire a green wire and a white wire. I no very little about electrical wiring. Would this be easy to do and where would I start. My dealer did offer to do this but he is about 60 miles away
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

My dealer told me the cameras generally go up on one of the rear clearance lights (I would assume the center), I am waiting for clarification from Jayco if there is a mounting backer up there but have not heard back yet. The unit I have is prewired for a camera but didn't have any details in the manual on it.

As for the wires you are seeing, you are likely seeing one for the turn/brake light, one for the tail light, and one for either ground OR if your light has the clear reverse lights its for that and the ground is coming thru the trailer frame/sheet metal. You will want to wire the camera unit into the tail light circuit, you should be able to use a meter and determine which one has power with your vehicle running lights on.

Note also you will have to run with your lights on for the camera to work.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I knew about running with lights on. The camera I bought attaches to the license plate bracket. The salesman assured that would work but have not tested it yet due to other issues with at equipment. Thanks for the feedback
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #4

Currently adding one to our new trailer. Like the last trailer we had I am adding a wireless setup and running it through the screen on the truck radio. I already have a Mygig lock pick installed and will be running it off the extra camera line because, while I do use it as a backup camera, I also use it as a running camera so I can see behind me while driving.
I ordered everything off eBay pretty cheap. The camera is mounted on the rear bumper; power is directly off the battery and the wireless transmitter is on the jack. This setup worked well for us on our last trailer.
Timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Cheap Option - Requires Electrical Know-How

I purchased a really cheap system from Amazon for my 195RB and it works fairly well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5NBZ6M

You'll need a bit of electrical knowledge, but if you have just enough to be dangerous, that'll probably suffice. This took me about 30 minutes to do. Picture quality isn't absolutely perfect, but it is manageable. ESPECIALLY for the really cheap price. You can see the pictures of my installation in my Amazon review.

Now we'll just see how long it lasts...
NavyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote