Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2022, 11:12 PM   #1

Backup Camera for RV and Tow Vehicle

Purchased a XROOSE wireless dual backup camera system with 7” Touch Button rear-view monitor for my White Hawk from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is scheduled to be delivered Saturday. Comes with a HD rear view and side view camera. Plan to power the rear camera from the center clearance light and the side camera from a front marker light on the passenger side of the trailer to cover blind spot there.

Purchased a Garmin BC30 wireless backup camera for my tow vehicle from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it arrived yesterday. The BC30 will work with my Garmin Drivesmart 65 MT GPS.

SmilingBob
Old 05-30-2022, 04:38 PM   #2

Got the Garmin BC30 installed on my tow vehicle installation was super easy. My Dodge came with the factory towing package with the 7 pin plug in addition the was a female 4 pin flat plug attached to the wiring to the 7 pin. I tapped the red wire with fuse from the transmitter to the brown wire (tail lights) and the black wire from the BC30 transmitter to the white (ground) on my wiring harness. Turning on my headlights powers up the camera, I always drive with the headlights on for visibility during the day. You can go back and forth from GPS map to camera on my Garmin Drivesmart 65 by the phrase "Show Video" or "Hide Video". Also have to replace the traffic power cable that came with my Garmin with the BC30 power cable "included" that comes with a receiver to pick up the camera. You need to turn on bluetooth on your cell to pick up traffic, but you can also make calls through the Garmin so no big deal. Picture quality is ok but it gets the job done in backing the truck up with a canopy installed on bed and is good to have for a hitch cam as well.

Finished getting the Xroose CM2 system installed today on my Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH. The Xroose instruction booklet left a lot to be desired but I figured it out eventually. Cameras are wireless and each has a detachable antenna as does the monitor that's the same size as the Garmin 65. Mounted the monitor with its included suction cup mount to the windshield just below my rear-view mirror. Had access to the door side front amber running light wiring in my front pass- threw and tapped the side camera red wire to the green (running light) wire on the trailer and the side camera black wire to the white (ground) wire on the trailer. Drilled a 7/16 inch hole through the side of trailer and opened it slightly with a round file so I could pass the cameras female plug through and make a drip loop in the wire between the camera and plug. Had access in rear storage area on the drivers side of the trailer to running light and and ground wire. Mounted the rear camera 6 1/2 inches below my center red clearance light. Routed the wire through a Legrand cord conduit to a point just inside the right side of my roof ladder then down through another cord conduit that ends just above my drivers side tail light drilled a 3/16 " hole through the rear wall of the trailer about 6 inches to the right of the taillight and fed the wire into the rear storage and tapped into my running light and ground. The plug from camera and extension wire fits in the cord conduit. Made a drip loop below camera and where wire enters the trailer at the bottom. Image quality is HD 1080p. No problem with signal strength or lag to monitor in cab, your mileage may vary if your trailer has aluminum siding. No interference between the Garmin BC30 and the Xroose CM2 transmitter and receiver either. Not bad for a two camera backup system with monitor, comes out to a little over $66 apiece. Hope this helps.

Smiling (Big Time) Bob