Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Backup/observation camera opinions

I was looking into getting a backup/observation camera for my 2019 28bhs Jayflight. It is already prewired for the Furrion camera system. However, it is hard for me to drop $350 on a camera back there as much as I would love it. I did find this one that I have been eyeing up:
https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wirele...rvation+camera

Has anyone had experience using a different brand camera on their Furrion prewired setup? If so, could you post how you did it, and if you had any pics that would be great. It may just plug in like Furrion would, I just don't know.

If you have this one above even better. Thanks in advance!!
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

Not really what your looking for I dropped the $350 for the Furrion observation camera system on my 2018, it is powered by the marker lights so they need to be on and the plug is directly for the furrion camera. It was also mostly easy to install except I dropped the tiny screws a few times. I found it worked well so far it is a big help reversing into my storage yard bay. I personally felt that $350 to help protect my >$30000 toy was worth it.

You should be able to use that wire to power other cameras but may need some kind of adapter or to pull the wire enough through to get to the connection points.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Id opt for a auto satellite dish first. DW is a better back up camera, except when its dark!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
I was looking into getting a backup/observation camera for my 2019 28bhs Jayflight. It is already prewired for the Furrion camera system. However, it is hard for me to drop $350 on a camera back there as much as I would love it. I did find this one that I have been eyeing up:
https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Wirele...rvation+camera
Based on what I saw in the video, it does not use the RV's pre-wire. It is wireless between the Camera and the monitor. There is additional jacks in the rear camera for an additional camera. My only concern with purchasing these systems (experience in this area) was that the camera behind my EAGLE 284BHS, the Wi-Fi power was not enough even though it had a rating of a distance greater than my TV/TT length. If you purchase on Amazon, that is not a problem, because you can put it back in the box and return it postage free.

I got power from my TT's running lights on the back of the TT. I assembled my own system and it works great, as we leave the TV lights on while driving and it is a good rear view camera for us.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Based on what I saw in the video, it does not use the RV's pre-wire. It is wireless between the Camera and the monitor. There is additional jacks in the rear camera for an additional camera. My only concern with purchasing these systems (experience in this area) was that the camera behind my EAGLE 284BHS, the Wi-Fi power was not enough even though it had a rating of a distance greater than my TV/TT length. If you purchase on Amazon, that is not a problem, because you can put it back in the box and return it postage free.

I got power from my TT's running lights on the back of the TT. I assembled my own system and it works great, as we leave the TV lights on while driving and it is a good rear view camera for us.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don, how did you do your own system? Maybe with a little finagling I could rig up something that works. That’s my biggest fear is losing signal. I want to use as a rear view mirror.
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Id opt for a auto satellite dish first. DW is a better back up camera, except when its dark!
I have the Furion Observation Camera and what I would recommend as well. Remember an Observation camera is much much more than a back up camera, it's on the entire time you are towing. It makes for safe lane changes.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote