Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Bad Smell when the heater kicks on

I'm new to the forum and I don't know how to introduce myself but my name is John and we just purchased a 2009 Eagle. It hasn't been camped in for about a year (has been sitting) We turned on the propane and fired up the furnace and all was good until it started to heat up. There is a bad odor coming out of the vents. Can't smell it on fan mode, just when it hears up. (I had a car once that mice built a nest in and it reminds me of that!) I pulled the metal grate off covering the front of the furnace area (it is inside the camper, 4 screws) and disconnected the ducts. Didn't see any mice poop or signs of urine in the heater itself. Took the register covers off the floor and cleaned out the duct areas best that I could. Might have been a few mice droppings in there but not sure. Thought I'd go underneath and disconnect the ductwork and see what it looks like inside the "tubes" but it's sealed up pretty tight underneath.......

Has anyone ever had mice in their ductwork?
Or is this normal where it's been sitting?

I let the furnace run about an hour and a half and it seemed to help or I just got used to it.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Jayco Eagle John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

If it was just fired up for the first time, there will be an odour but it should disipate fairly quickly. It is normal unless it persists.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There was a thread recently.
Odor Sponge from Home Depot did the trick.
He had a raw sewage leak that contaminated the bottom.
You might try something like that and see if it clears up with a little use.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #4

First time we fired up the furnace in our brand new TT it smelled . After 1 hour the smell was gone. Now we expect a little smell the first time we put the heat on each season but not at all like the first time.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Bad Smell when the heater kicks on

Has the same thing last night when ours fired up. I let it run for 20 minutes or so, then sprayed a little Farbrese and let it sit all night with the windows open. All good now and no smell.

Ps - I hate mice....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

PS, I hate mice also.
My 23FB Jayco is at the dealership for the "dead smell" when I turn on the heater. Told them I didn't want it back until the smell was gone. lol

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

What I did cleaning out my sealed ducts was open the farthest vent away from the furnace -
In my case the duct continued on past the last vent so I blocked this off here with a piece of card board
Then opened a duct vent on the other end of the trailer and used my leaf blower and blowed thru the duct work. All kinds of trash then came out of the other opened end... Didn't have a dead mouse but it should have blown him out of the duct doing this.

Some folks have good luck using a small mirror that will fit down in the duct vent and by shinning a flashlight on the mirror you can see down the ducts...

Most trailers are sealed up on the bottom and that would be a major undertaking to remove the bottom membrane to inspect the duct work.

On brand new trailers the furnace itself will put off some bad smells when first used until it burns off all of the new prep stuff. I even don't like the normal smell of the propane being burned myself... That bothers us as well...

Give the leaf blower a try...

Don't be too bad on the little critter fellar - they got to survive in this world as well...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote