Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Bad tank read outs?

I'm not sure what it's called but the unit that measures the waste water tanks, fresh water and battery levels seems to be off. How accurate are these units in general?
My new to me (used trailer) seems to have good readings for fresh water and gray water, the black water level is stuck on full and the battery level seems to fluctuate more than I would have expected.
New unit needed or is all this normal?
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
I'm not sure what it's called but the unit that measures the waste water tanks, fresh water and battery levels seems to be off. How accurate are these units in general?
My new to me (used trailer) seems to have good readings for fresh water and gray water, the black water level is stuck on full and the battery level seems to fluctuate more than I would have expected.
New unit needed or is all this normal?
False readings from the black tank sensor are a fairly normal occurrence. "Stuff", like toilet paper, etc gets on the sensor causing the false reading. A good tank rinsing may or may not solve the problem.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

That is pretty normal. Any TP that gets on the those sensors can cause false readings. Also the "splash" when you flush can cause water to get on it and cause false readings. A lot of times it will go back to normal in a few hours when it dries out. Honestly the best method I have found is to look down the hole when you flush and look at the water level.

As far as the battery - it will change a lot depending on how much load you have on the trailer. Turn every light off and it will be on full. Turn on 6 lights and it will go to half.

Overall I use it as a guide, but know I just have to learn my camper and use those lights as just one method of telling the status of the camper.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fresno,

Sounds like you may have a plugged black tank sensor. Assuming that you have already dumped your black tank (empty), I would pour a couple of buckets of soapy water (Dawn works great) into the toilet, then add another 6-10 gallons of clean water into the tank. Let the water slosh around on the way to your next CG, and drain at the CG dump station. If you have full hookups at the campsite, fill the tank again with water, let it sit awhile, and drain again. See if this frees up the sensor.

They do have additives that you can purchase and add to the black tank to help keep the sensor and dump valve seals lubricated.

Be sure to use single-ply bath TP, or the specific RV TP. When ever possible, use moderate amount of water when using the toilet, and the dump valve should remain closed until the tank is full, then dump.

Between trips and/or after hitting the dump station, I pour a bucket of water into the toilet, followed by another bucket of water that I mixed with a cup of Calgon water softener......this slicks things up a little in the tank.

As far as the battery indicator, I would check the connections at the battery, and also check the battery cells. If the battery has been run down to often, it may be shot.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #5

Try filling the black tank about half full of water and dump in a bunch of ice cubes. Hook up and go for ride to let the ice and water slosh around. Dump the black tank (at an appropiate dump station, of course) and check the indicators again. It may take more than one time. We do this when we leave a campsite and have some extra ice. It does seem to help.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

With 3 different TT's we have always found the blank tank reading to be inaccurate. Now when our gray tank needs to be emptied we take that oppertunity to empty the blank tank.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

I had a black water false reading problem last year. On my last trip before winterizing, I dumped it, filled the tank three quarters full of clean water, added 15 lbs of crushed ice and drove 90 miles home where I drained and flushed it again. No problems with the indicator so far this season but have learned that maintaining an RV is somewhat labor intensive.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #8

I just don't pay any attention to the black tank. It is never accurate. The others usually are a fairly good indication of your status.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #9

Thanks!
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #10

The ice trick worked awesome for us... until we used the tank again.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote