Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #11

I took it to my mechanic. He said that two of the wheels were "very loose". He tighten those up, repacked the bearings, and inspected the brakes and bearings and everything looked good.

The axle nut is a castle nut with cotter pin and those don't just loosen up. That means they came from the factory that way......come on jayco......quality control. I'm just glad the trailer doesn't have that many miles and I caught it soon enough.

Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #12

I went on the Dexter website and printed out the reassembly directions as well as the grease specs. I used to be an automotive mechanic and I was surprised on the reassembly procedure from Dexter, seems like they like to run the bearings a little more loose then I would have set it up. I didn't check my wheel movement when I had it jacked up, but I agree that you probably shouldn't be able feel a large amount of movement and it was a good idea to have it looked at.

rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsl01 View Post

The axle nut is a castle nut with cotter pin and those don't just loosen up. That means they came from the factory that way......come on jayco......quality control. I'm just glad the trailer doesn't have that many miles and I caught it soon enough.

With a loose bearing you pull the cotter pin and tighten the castle nut until it is snug. Some books will say 50 ft.lbs. Then back it off to the next place the cotter pin will fit.

I am glad you got it all repaired with out any problems. Jayco probably dosen't touch the bearings as they are already on the frame when they get them.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuebub View Post
I went on the Dexter website and printed out the reassembly directions as well as the grease specs. I used to be an automotive mechanic and I was surprised on the reassembly procedure from Dexter, seems like they like to run the bearings a little more loose then I would have set it up. I didn't check my wheel movement when I had it jacked up, but I agree that you probably shouldn't be able feel a large amount of movement and it was a good idea to have it looked at.
Can you link the site?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

I'm not rescuebub, but here's a link to Dexter's Complete Service Manual for 600-8K axles: Dexter 600-8K Complete Service Manual Note that this manual covers a very wide range of different types of axles, bearings, brakes, and suspensions; so it's important to make sure you find the section that applies to the type of axles your trailer has.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I'm not rescuebub, but here's a link to Dexter's Complete Service Manual for 600-8K axles: Dexter 600-8K Complete Service Manual Note that this manual covers a very wide range of different types of axles, bearings, brakes, and suspensions; so it's important to make sure you find the section that applies to the type of axles your trailer has.
Thanks! That's a goldmine of info.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #17

Hi, sorry I was a little late on the reply, but this is a good place to start...
http://www.dexteraxle.com/literature1

As stated, they have alot of products, so you'll have to make sure your in the correct area. I haven't tried it, but you may be able to call them and get technical assistance also.

Also, I don't think Jayco's quality control is at fault on this one, I'm guessing they just get the rolling chassis from Lippert or whoever and build the trailer on top of it, so I'm not sure they even check that stuff. I agree it's still not good to put that out in their dealerships, maybe in the future they will start looking at the chassis also.
Happy Camping!
rescuebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuebub View Post

Also, I don't think Jayco's quality control is at fault on this one, I'm guessing they just get the rolling chassis from Lippert or whoever and build the trailer on top of it, so I'm not sure they even check that stuff. I agree it's still not good to put that out in their dealerships, maybe in the future they will start looking at the chassis also.
Happy Camping!
I do agree with you.....it was probably the dexters QC that missed it. I'm just glad I caught it before any issues.

Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote