Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

baffling leak

We have a 2017 212QBW trailer and have a leak that we cannot trace. First noticed water under the love seat where the water pump and water heater are located and thought one of those two were responsible. Since then we have eliminated them as the source. Next we thought rain was coming in the window behind the love seat, big gaps in the caulking. I caulked around the window and don't believe rain is still getting in. During hard rain water puddles around the heater box under the love seat and eventually runs under it and across the floor to the dinette under seat storage. My question is where could the water be coming from? All replies appreciated.
jimi1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Check the marker lights on the sides of the trailer. They are notorious for allowing water intrusion. Water can enter one place and wind up someplace completely different so don't rule out anything.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

Thanks, I will check them.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Have you had a helper spray the one face of the trailer at a time while you sit inside with a flashlight and look for water? That's what a shop would do. That's what I do. Nine times out of ten it will help you find the leak the first time.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
KeizerTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Team

I'll throw out some possibilities, besides the marker lamps.

An unknown tear on the roof membrane.

The seam between the roof material, and the trim strip on the rear, and the gutter on the side.

Ladder mounts (if equipped).

A blocked drain on either the side or back windows, overflowing the channel to the inside.

The cable/satellite port.

The furnace exhaust.

You could put down a layer of TP all around under there, and that may give you an idea which direction it's coming from, as someone makes it "rain" with a hose while you're inside watching.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #6

Yes, we tried having someone inside while the other one is outside spraying with hose. That's what led us to the window. There is no water coming down the inside wall. It shows at around the heater box on the floor under the love seat. I will try taking some pictures tonorrow and showing where it is appearing. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

There are water lines going to and from the water heater in there and multiple valves. Did you check around the bypass valves and fittings at the WH for leaks? On our 212QBW, the pump is to the right, under the pantry. Any chance there may be a leak there and water running down a hose? It can show up a long ways from the leak source, as Marcm said.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #8

Here's a picture of where the water is, only along the red line. Happens only when it rains pretty hard. No water anywhere else that we can see. Could it get in around the heater vent and run along the floor?
Attached Thumbnails
20200904_080939.jpg  
Old 09-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

Maybe try with a hose to simulate the heavy rain to narrow down a location?
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

After several hose attempts I went out at night and had my wife go over the outside edge of the window with a flashlight. Yep, I found two places where the foam edging of the window frame did not touch the metal let alone seal it properly. Lots of caulk later, no more rain inside, even at highway speeds in a rain storm. After that I went over every window, door, and light for potential leaks. Also, every time I am on the roof I probe my seals with fingernails to see if they come up and inspect the roof edges. I found 4 screws came up through the roof edge in back and covered those holes with Etearnabond.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Thanks for letting us know what you found, and that you finally got the leak stopped.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #12

I don't know who this other person is, seems like they piggybacked my thread, but as far as our leak we finally got it solved. Took our trailer to a local RV shop for a state inspection. Asked them to try to locate our leak and after speaking with the service team they got it figured out. The access panel for the fridge on the outside had a bad gasket seal, after replacing and caulking the leak is fixed.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #13

Glad you got it solved and thanks for the update as it may help others down the road. I think JFR got a little confused on who started this thread , no worries.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi1952 View Post
I don't know who this other person is, seems like they piggybacked my thread, but as far as our leak we finally got it solved. Took our trailer to a local RV shop for a state inspection. Asked them to try to locate our leak and after speaking with the service team they got it figured out. The access panel for the fridge on the outside had a bad gasket seal, after replacing and caulking the leak is fixed.
Was the “gasket seal” around the plastic housing outside, where it meets the metal siding? Or something inside that compartment? I’ve caulked around all those compartments (WH, furnace vent, stove vent, windows) as a precaution. You might want to check the seals on those things in case the same worker also caulked those at the Jayco factory.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #15

Yes, it was the seal around the fridge access panel. The workers also caulked around the outside shower panel, electrical cord access door. I have not noticed any water stains around where the leak was coming from. I think we dodged a bullet as far as that goes.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
After several hose attempts I went out at night and had my wife go over the outside edge of the window with a flashlight. Yep, I found two places where the foam edging of the window frame did not touch the metal let alone seal it properly. Lots of caulk later, no more rain inside, even at highway speeds in a rain storm. After that I went over every window, door, and light for potential leaks. Also, every time I am on the roof I probe my seals with fingernails to see if they come up and inspect the roof edges. I found 4 screws came up through the roof edge in back and covered those holes with Etearnabond.
Great! Glad you found it. Hearing your success makes me feel like I zeroed in on my leak too. Found a puddle in the center of the forward storage, traced wet wood back to awning side bedroom window. Same thing.... black foam seal around window was not seated properly. I could see the gap and into the wall behind the aluminum exterior, maybe 1/8th inch wide but it was directly under the awning run-off. I caulked it but haven't wet tested it yet.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi1952 View Post
Yes, it was the seal around the fridge access panel. The workers also caulked around the outside shower panel, electrical cord access door. I have not noticed any water stains around where the leak was coming from. I think we dodged a bullet as far as that goes.
Thanks for clarifying. Glad the shop figured it out. One less headache!