Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #11

Hello,

Here is a PDF describing the types of roads with pictures. I would add to the description that type two roads have gullies and holes from water runoff.

I want a trailer to always handle type 2 roads and sometimes it will be on type three roads as conditions do change.

PDF is from Roger Mitchell book High Sierra SUV Trails.

Offroader53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader53 View Post
Here is a PDF describing the types of roads with pictures.
The link to the PDF did not come thru here

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #13

files

I hope this works, Footnote to Roger Mitchell's book High Sierra SUV Trails for these links.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1396060677

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1396061072
Attached Thumbnails
Scan001.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

The trail rating info. that you provided is good for reference.
We use an 09 4x4 Xterra w/ locking diff. in the rear axle when we desert camp with our 2014 145RB SLX Baja edition.
We get 10-12mpg at highway speeds of around 60mph.
We need to use a WDH because the Xterra truly needs one for safe highway travel even prior to ever getting to the dirt roads. We use the WDH because the Xterra is a relatively short wheel base vehicle and without added rear air shocks, it rides low in the back.
We find that with the WDH in place the TV and TT creak like crazy when crossing deep diagonal dips even on pavement. regular dips or low points on the dirt roads are fine when using caution.
Using the trail rating scale that you provided, I would only use my Xterra and SLX baja on a "2" to "2.5" rated trail. They are both paid for and we don't want new monthly payments or repair bills.
I'm sure you are aware that many "off-road" routes change seasonally with weather and erosion. I think that you would find that it would be necessary to do a "pre-run" because a "2" rating could easily become a "4" rating and the is no turning around with a 16.5 ft. anchor behind you. Also many western dirt routes have hair -pin turns and switchbacks and a 16.5 ft SLX baja will not bend in the middle. The more difficult the off-road route becomes, the more likely you are to have potential issues with low hanging trees and protruding tree branches. You asked for opinions and observations from those who own a Baja edition!!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #15

Hi,

I also have an Xterra. It is a 2013 Pro 4X. Desert camping in winter and summer camping in Sierras or along pacific Coast.

It sounds like the Jayco does well in rough roads.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #16

I'm not sure all of that is all that is important to us anymore. We have our favorite Natl Forest and some back trails in NC we like to go down...

We seem to get there and make it back out all in one piece.. I am more interested in making sure I have enough battery power to make it through the one day/night run off the batteries and recharge my batteries the next morning during breakfast when allowed to run my generator.

My next upgrades is going to include Solar Panel on top of my POPUP. I can put three 120WATTS panels up there pretty easy. Two will have to be added after the roof has been raised. Too much weight for the raise motor it seems.

I guess out on the West side of the US you have all of these DISPERSED camping spots where you can do anything you want to do. It certainly isn't like that here on the East side of the US...

Seems like everyone here on the East side has all these rules we all must follow to make the multitude of campers happy.

When I was living in the Phoenix AZ area in the early 70s I have been known to take my brand new Jeep down the Salt River playing following the leader.. Apache trail was a favorite outing as well.

Too old for all of that now haha...

About the most difficult off-road condition I have ever done here locally is cross a rock bed creek in the George Washington up behind Harrisonburg VA on the VA/WVA wooded Mtn State line. This is near a placed called FLAGPOLE KNOB... I have winched my JEEP down a couple of rock ridge trails (Dictum Ridge comes to mind) there also but not with my trailer attached haha...

The trailers are all set up at the base camp and this is where we go drink a few cool ones before going to bed...

We do have a new trail deal going on here in along the East side of our small mtn range in VA and NC being a renewal of the 1940s gold rush days here. Lots of campers setting up at base camps and then going to all the local creeks in the zone panning for gold haha... I haven't done this yet but sounds like fun... Been watching GOLD RUSH on Discover Channel getting down all the key words to use...

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote