Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Baja Package

Hello,

I am trying to decide how much the Baja package helps with off-roading. I am looking at the Swift SLX series. Bigger wheels and raised platform helps to on dirt and rocky off roads, but the real issue is shock and vibration to the entire trailer and exposure of trailer to elements such as dirt, dust etc.

is anyone aware of other features to the Baja package that help off-roading or have experiences with the Baja Package?

I am also looking at Starcraft Extreme package and RPods. Does anyone have off-roading experiences or knowledge of how these trailers compare to the Jayco Baja.
Offroader53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Hi There, We just took our new 184BH Baja on its first trip last week. So I'll try to lend some insite with my limited experience . The Baja also has larger fresh water, holding and Propane tanks than the regular Swift. Comes with 4 stabilizer jacks rather than 2. However they aren't any larger, so you will be cranking them up and down a bit more. I want to say that the Hot Water tank is larger too, but I can't confirm that right now. The mud tires are LTs, C rated IIRC. This hopefully, will help prevent sidewall damage if your truly off-roading it. A nice benefit with its increased ground clearance, was the fact that I could easily store a container of firewood underneath it, to keep it dry. I found that it towed well, even with high crosswinds on the freeway. Hope that helps!
Socco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #3

Hi,

What are you towing it with? I have a Nissan Xterra.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

2010 4Runner. It managed to pull up some steep grades without too much trouble. The braking was surprisingly good, better than I expected. But after one trip with it, I ordered a set of LT tires. Those poor Ps just don't have the sidewall strength.
Socco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

That is good to know. I have off trail tires on the Nissan.

Great description on Baja version. Saelspeople couldn't tell me as much detail
Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

I also have a 184BH Baja and did our first camping trip with it this weekend. We took it to Ocean Shores WA, I towed it with an 07 FJ with a 3 inch lift. It did great! I wanted to take it on the beach, but did not. The camp site had some ruts and the trailer did great going thru them.

I have towed it a couple of times in the wind, I would recommend getting an E2 or an Equalizer WDH with sway. I did install one of these and it helped out a TON. The lift kit I have is an Old Man Emu with the stiff rear springs, but the E2 did help out a lot!!
chewey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

We have a 2014 SLX 145rb Baja Edition.
We get about 10-12 mpg when towing on highway with our '09 V-6 Nissan Xterra 4x4.
I think the real question here is just what is meant by the phrase "off-road".
The baja editions have the "spring over axle" configuration which helps prevent most drain line damage going over ruts and low points in the terrain.
They also have 4 leveling jacks which are great for un-level camp spots. The jacks are each rated for 1500 lbs. So... in theory you could raise the TT completely off the wheels because our 145rb Baja should weigh less than the combined capacity of the 4 jacks. Note:This is just the "math", not a recommendation to do so!!
Here in southern Arizona, off-roaders rate 4x4 trails on a scale from 1 to 5.
A "1" being a rough but sometimes maintained county dirt road and a "5" being a route that requires 4-wheel drive, locking front and rear differentials, and a reasonable expectation of limited vehicle body damage.
In reality, I think that the SLX baja editions are great for county dirt roads and primitive campsites, but we really need to decide what we mean by "off-road".
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #8

hi,

I would want the Jayco Baja to handle 2 type conditions with ease and without compromising the trailer. Road condition three tend to be very rocky with holes and I would not stay on such a road a long time. If the Jayco Baja can only handle a type 1 road condition, then it is not off road capable,in any sense of the word.

What do you think the Jayco 145 Baja can handle?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

I have the Starcraft 14RT version off-road trailer. It does OK here on the east side of the US where forest roads and some rock bottom creeks are about the only obstacles i have to deal with. My shocks are mounted at almost a 45 degree angle so you know they are not helping much... I do love the larger wheels and clearance under the trailer. I did have to pull out all of the under trailer wiring and re-install in a planned manner using 3/4-inch flexible PVC tubing mounted to the inside of the frames. The two or three trips out in the underbrush for me I drug off some under belly wiring. Not fun when you are 50miles from anywhere...

My under trailer wiring looks like this floorplan drawing in BLUE. The electrical boxes shown have a 2-inch hole thru the center of the box which comes up under cabinets etc on the inside of the trailer. Haven't had any wiring dragged off since..

If I was to get real serious about suspension i would install Independent Suspension like the AUSSIE Off-Road trailers have...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

Roy Braddy,

Wow that is awesome.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #11

Hello,

Here is a PDF describing the types of roads with pictures. I would add to the description that type two roads have gullies and holes from water runoff.

I want a trailer to always handle type 2 roads and sometimes it will be on type three roads as conditions do change.

PDF is from Roger Mitchell book High Sierra SUV Trails.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader53 View Post
Here is a PDF describing the types of roads with pictures.
The link to the PDF did not come thru here

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

files

I hope this works, Footnote to Roger Mitchell's book High Sierra SUV Trails for these links.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1396060677

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1396061072
Attached Thumbnails
Scan001.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

The trail rating info. that you provided is good for reference.
We use an 09 4x4 Xterra w/ locking diff. in the rear axle when we desert camp with our 2014 145RB SLX Baja edition.
We get 10-12mpg at highway speeds of around 60mph.
We need to use a WDH because the Xterra truly needs one for safe highway travel even prior to ever getting to the dirt roads. We use the WDH because the Xterra is a relatively short wheel base vehicle and without added rear air shocks, it rides low in the back.
We find that with the WDH in place the TV and TT creak like crazy when crossing deep diagonal dips even on pavement. regular dips or low points on the dirt roads are fine when using caution.
Using the trail rating scale that you provided, I would only use my Xterra and SLX baja on a "2" to "2.5" rated trail. They are both paid for and we don't want new monthly payments or repair bills.
I'm sure you are aware that many "off-road" routes change seasonally with weather and erosion. I think that you would find that it would be necessary to do a "pre-run" because a "2" rating could easily become a "4" rating and the is no turning around with a 16.5 ft. anchor behind you. Also many western dirt routes have hair -pin turns and switchbacks and a 16.5 ft SLX baja will not bend in the middle. The more difficult the off-road route becomes, the more likely you are to have potential issues with low hanging trees and protruding tree branches. You asked for opinions and observations from those who own a Baja edition!!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #15

Hi,

I also have an Xterra. It is a 2013 Pro 4X. Desert camping in winter and summer camping in Sierras or along pacific Coast.

It sounds like the Jayco does well in rough roads.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #16

I'm not sure all of that is all that is important to us anymore. We have our favorite Natl Forest and some back trails in NC we like to go down...

We seem to get there and make it back out all in one piece.. I am more interested in making sure I have enough battery power to make it through the one day/night run off the batteries and recharge my batteries the next morning during breakfast when allowed to run my generator.

My next upgrades is going to include Solar Panel on top of my POPUP. I can put three 120WATTS panels up there pretty easy. Two will have to be added after the roof has been raised. Too much weight for the raise motor it seems.

I guess out on the West side of the US you have all of these DISPERSED camping spots where you can do anything you want to do. It certainly isn't like that here on the East side of the US...

Seems like everyone here on the East side has all these rules we all must follow to make the multitude of campers happy.

When I was living in the Phoenix AZ area in the early 70s I have been known to take my brand new Jeep down the Salt River playing following the leader.. Apache trail was a favorite outing as well.

Too old for all of that now haha...

About the most difficult off-road condition I have ever done here locally is cross a rock bed creek in the George Washington up behind Harrisonburg VA on the VA/WVA wooded Mtn State line. This is near a placed called FLAGPOLE KNOB... I have winched my JEEP down a couple of rock ridge trails (Dictum Ridge comes to mind) there also but not with my trailer attached haha...

The trailers are all set up at the base camp and this is where we go drink a few cool ones before going to bed...

We do have a new trail deal going on here in along the East side of our small mtn range in VA and NC being a renewal of the 1940s gold rush days here. Lots of campers setting up at base camps and then going to all the local creeks in the zone panning for gold haha... I haven't done this yet but sounds like fun... Been watching GOLD RUSH on Discover Channel getting down all the key words to use...

Roy Ken