Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Ball Height for WD Hitch for 27DSRL

What distance have ya'll come up with for the top of the coupler when the trailer is level on a 27DSRL for setting the ball height on the hitch?
Stargabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

With that size trailer, I assume you are hauling with a 3/4 ton truck or SUV.
Initial ball height should be 1" to 1-1/2" above the coupler. (for reese hitch anyway)

Level the trailer on level ground and measure the top of the coupler to the ground.
Set your ball height by moving the hitch head up/down on your drop down bracket.
Measure and record all four wheel well heights on your TV.
Hook up your trailer and lower the tongue until the trailer is level again.
Install WD bars to hitch head, lower snap-up brackets to 90deg, then connect whatever link you can hook by hand. Then snap up the bracket.
Both WD bars should be parallel to your trailer tongue and you should have 5 links min under tension. If not, then unhook and tilt your hitch head accordingly and start again.
Once your bars are parallel w/brackets snapped up finish raising your tongue jack off the ground.
Re-measure TV wheel-well height.
Final set up should be a level or slightly nose down trailer, WD bars level to the frame and hitched wheel well height w/in +/- 1/2 inch of unloaded height.

It took me many iterations of hooking/unhooking, unbolting, tilting etc to get mine dialed in.

Good luck.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

That's a lot of information. Thank you, but what I'm looking for is that particular initial height. I don't have the trailer with me yet to take that measurement and I'm trying to get the ball height set in the hitch before I get there to pick it up. I was hoping someone might know what the height of the top of the coupler is when the trailer is level on a 27DSRL.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Not sure this will help but I have a similar trailer (28BHBE) and the top of my coupler sits right at 25 inches. That was the number I used in setting up my WDH.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargabond View Post
That's a lot of information. Thank you, but what I'm looking for is that particular initial height. I don't have the trailer with me yet to take that measurement and I'm trying to get the ball height set in the hitch before I get there to pick it up. I was hoping someone might know what the height of the top of the coupler is when the trailer is level on a 27DSRL.
Too many variables. Each TT is pretty much unique. Which springs were used that week at the factory, which tires, 10PSI difference in pressurization, did they use 4", 5" or 6" frame rails? How much offset in the axles? Which brand axles. How well was the coupler welded to the frame?

Throw in the weight of cargo and/or water....

Ask your customer to measure. Or bring a tape and the tools to adjust your hitch.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
PMC

The top of my ball is at 27 inches when I connect with my 27dsrl. My truck doesn't drop much if any when I'm hooked up and have the equalizer hitch connected and its pretty much level, maybe 1/2 inch down in the front. It tows well that way.

With my f150 I had before I had airbags which brought it back to level.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Stargabond if you email Jayco customer service they can tell you for sure. I just had to for my new trailer and they got back to me within 48 hours.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Thank you bwalton. I will do that.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Check out YouTube videos or product videos, Equilier has a great video. These leave no questions on how to setup. ..

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

I called Jayco Customer Service and she emailed me the spec sheet (which included EVERYTHING) for my Jay Feather

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote