Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

Barker Portable Tanks and Low Drain Valves

I have a Jayco 23D and the drains are extremely low. I ordered a Barker tank but now I am wondering if I will have any trouble draining my tanks into it. I plan on using it primarily for grey water and only when my on board tank needs to be emptied.

Can anyone please provide any insight and experience in regards to portable tanks and low drain valves?

Thanks in advance

smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF, smoothy. Glad you joined us.

I have a blueboy (aka Barker 25 gallon portable tank) and it's a lifesaver on those week-long stays, especially for the gray water. While I have not had an issue with the height, others have indicated they've either had to drive up onto boards/blocks and/or dig a hole for the blueboy. My best advice is to try it and see. If the expense is an concern, maybe you could find someone to loan you theirs before you buy.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Quahog

Thanks for the welcome and response. So is your drain outlet lower than the top of the Barker? I am thinking that since the on-board tanks should be higher then the portable tank I should not have an issue. I just ordered it yesterday from Barker Mfg. Also I see you have an EcoBoost. How does it pull? I see it has very good reviews.

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #4

The drain outlet is not much higher than the top of the Barker. In fact, the drain hose does a little ~ bend but I think the force of the liquid pushes it out just fine. Since my TT tank is larger than the capacity of the Barker, it won't empty completely but it's a good balance for me. It gets me back to about 1/3 full without the Barker being overly large and cumbersome to haul.

Just picked up the truck last month and I only have one trip with the TT under my belt but it pulls like a dream. I went with the HD Payload option that gives me around 2450 lbs of cargo capacity, heavier springs, brakes, shocks, etc.

We're taking a 5k mile trip later this month so when I get back, I'll be able to give you a much better review.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

We just got a 35 gallon therefore tote for our hybrid. Ours is low to to ground as well. I couldn't get the last bit of water into the tote, no matter what I did. The rv drain line is higher then the top of the tote but I still had problems. I even tried to snake the hose connecting the tote to the camper but it didn't seem to work either. When I disconnected the tote then I'd say about a gallon of water came out from my camper.

I'm thinking of driving the camper on blocks to raise it a few inches.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #6

Sounds like a nice truck. I need to retire my 02 F150 and was looking at the EcoBoost models. Enjoy

cm

I guess I am not overly concerned about completely emptying my on board grey tank as long as I can extend my stays without having to remind my children to conserve and pull to the dump station in the middle of a stay. One less thing to worry about.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

The Barker portable tank is easy to haul too. I just slip the handle over my ball mount and drive up to the dump (at idle speed). Waaaaaay easier than moving the trailer to empty the tanks.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #8

How does it do on gravel/rock roadways? Where we are staying for Memorial Day weekend has rock roadways. I will have a water hookup but no sewer. It will be my first test. Supposedly she (Barker mfg.) is going to upgrade to some different rubber wheels because the pneumatic tires they got from the supplier did not work out. I also just picked up 3 6 gallon jugs from Walmart to use for my freshwater runs.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

This is what mine looks like and it doesn't have pneumatic wheels.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

I asked for one of these portable tanks for Mother's Day. Hey, don't laugh. I'm not into jewelry! My question is...How do the larger ones drain into the grey water, especially when the opening is 3 ft off the ground and they are way too heavy to lift?