Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Bathroom fan

Hey, I just wondering if anyone out there has changed the bath fan in there TT? I just found out after we bought our new to us TT that mine isn't working. When I pulled the fan down to check the wiring I found that it was never hooked back up when the previous owner had the roof replaced. I need to know if the ground wire is hooked to anything? I found the black and white wire to connect the fan to, but no green/ ground wire to hook the ground wire for the fan too. Thanks
05 GMC 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 for now:-)
FiremanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

If the fan is a 12 volt fan and if your trailer is wired conventionally, the white wire is 12 volt negative and the black wire is 12 volt positive. With 12 volt devices, I've not seen a separate ground wire - which would connect to the same place as the white wire, anyway.

If you believe it is a 120 volt A/C fan, I got no clue. There is an electrical guru or two on this forum; stay tuned for further info.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

I believe it is 12 volt fan as it has a toggle type switch on the wall like the lights do and those are 12 volt. It says on the fan to connect the green wire to the trailer ground, so I would assume that I can twist it together w/ the white wire.?.?. We are going on our first trip tomorrow night and I don't want it to end in a blaze of glory because i didn't wire the bath fan correctly:-)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanJosh View Post
I believe it is 12 volt fan as it has a toggle type switch on the wall like the lights do and those are 12 volt. It says on the fan to connect the green wire to the trailer ground, so I would assume that I can twist it together w/ the white wire.?.?. We are going on our first trip tomorrow night and I don't want it to end in a blaze of glory because i didn't wire the bath fan correctly:-)
I'm confused. If it is a 12 volt fan, and there is a white wire, black wire, and green wire, I don't understand what the setup is.

Unless, maybe, the switch on the wall has three positions? Maybe HI and LOW and OFF or IN and OUT and OFF? Could you see what brand of fan it is - maybe a model number? How about googling for install directions?

I'd just really hate to give you advice that ends up making pretty sparks!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

First if it is one of the small 5" fans in the corner of the roof vent, it is a 12 v fan. Understand that the fan is useless and moves very little air and is offend referred to as a "stink" fan for obvious reasons. I would not worry about hooking up the old fan and would highly recommend upgrading to a fantastic hi volume roof vent fan. Pretty sure there is not a green wire for 12v.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

If it's a 12 volt fan, and has three wires, it must be some sort of multi function fan, and not just ON and OFF. Maybe it is a multi-speed or reversible fan that was attempted to be installed by the previous owner - but the previous owner failed to install the proper switch? Or there is another wire lurking in the ceiling that comes from the wall switch?

Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

It seems to be a very simple fan, one speed, and on/ off. I will try to google the name for directions. I definitely says 12V DC on the tag, and it takes up the whole space of the roof vent maybe 14"-16" square.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

Just wanted to update this in case someone else happens upon this post with a similar problem. I contacted the tech line from the manufacturer and they said if their is no chassis ground to hook the green ground wire to then twist it to the white wire.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #9

There should only be two wires (positive and negative) to hook the fan to. Your AC I believe is converted to DC for all of your lights and switches. Outlets are AC 110 when you are using shore power or generator and are wired as such. I replaced my factory POS ceiling fan with a Maxxair fan. It's easy and fits in the standard 14" square framed hole in the ceiling. Use Dicor to reseal the roof where the old fan was removed.

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote