Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Bathroom Fan

We have purchased a Jayflight 212qb, which we haven’t used yet. The stock exhaust fan is one of those small fans. My previous camper had a (fantastic fan) is the small fan adequate to remove moisture from showering? I thinking about changing it out.

Kenny Garrett
Clemmons NC
kenny garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #2
CAG

Whole bunch of threads on replacing the bathroom fan including some on Fantastic fans with remotes. Use the search bar at the top of the page in the gold bar or do a Google search which will turn up some of the same threads along with videos of replacements.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

To answer your question: Yes, it works fine for DW and me for showering in the 212QBW. I know I may the only JOFer on the planet who is reasonably OK with the OEM fan. Yeah, it’s not the quietest, but it pulls enough air to keep the bathroom vented and free of too much moisture. Since I’m 6-6 I have no problem reaching the switch — no remote needed . When it breaks, I’ll probably look at a Vortex or similar. But for now it ain’t broke so no need to fix it.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
CAG

We found the OEM fan to be loud and annoying not to mentions that my 5’3” 110 lb wife could not reach the switch. It got replaced pretty quick.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Our 19RD is the little brother version of the 212QB. Same floor plan except 2 feet shorter with a corner bed. Yes the fan is a little noisy, but works in such a small bathroom. I've had thoughts of replacing it with a better one, but wonder if the increased suction would pull black tank odor if the toilet was flushed with it on. I'm sure it would be fine as long as you shut it off before flushing.

Our original fan works ok for taking moisture out when taking a shower. Not overly outstanding, just ok enough for the two of us. Just my .02 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Our 19RD is the little brother version of the 212QB. Same floor plan except 2 feet shorter with a corner bed. Yes the fan is a little noisy, but works in such a small bathroom. I've had thoughts of replacing it with a better one, but wonder if the increased suction would pull black tank odor if the toilet was flushed with it on. I'm sure it would be fine as long as you shut it off before flushing.

Our original fan works ok for taking moisture out when taking a shower. Not overly outstanding, just ok enough for the two of us. Just my .02 worth.
JFlight, if you were to replace your original fan, which would you go with? I don’t want to have to rip into roof caulking etc if I can help it. Something that just fits in the existing vent opening/housing?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny garrett View Post
We have purchased a Jayflight 212qb, which we haven’t used yet. The stock exhaust fan is one of those small fans. My previous camper had a (fantastic fan) is the small fan adequate to remove moisture from showering? I thinking about changing it out.

Kenny Garrett
Clemmons NC
I have a small fan in my bath and it will stand out the shower curtain.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

We have the 21QB same floor plan, and the only complaint we have with the fan is my wife can't reach the switch. I've never felt the need to upgrade.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
We have the 21QB same floor plan, and the only complaint we have with the fan is my wife can't reach the switch. I've never felt the need to upgrade.
We have a small folding step stool for DW. Slips right between the wall and toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
060C3B65-CEB7-4DF5-A2E2-A196BB754298.jpeg  
Old 02-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
We have a small folding step stool for DW. Slips right between the wall and toilet.
I just saw your post in another thread a couple days ago and bought one.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
JFlight, if you were to replace your original fan, which would you go with? I don’t want to have to rip into roof caulking etc if I can help it. Something that just fits in the existing vent opening/housing?
That's a good question. I was originally leaning towards a basic version of either a Fan-Tastic or MaxxFan, but those are complete replacement units. I would remove the old one from the roof. I wasn't needing remote controls, rain or temperature sensors, or a ton of speeds. Also peeked at the Heng's Vortex briefly, but haven't done a lot of research on that one yet.

We're weekend warriors, so the 6 or 7 times we use the TT each season, the 'rattlefan' works.

Another item that caught my eye, was replacing just the 6 blade with a 9 blade fan. Looking at the Camco 40428. Figured it might be worth a try for $7. I need to look at the old one first, for proper rotation pitch.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 AM   #12

Quote:
That's a good question. I was originally leaning towards a basic version of either a Fan-Tastic or MaxxFan, but those are complete replacement units. I would remove the old one from the roof. I wasn't needing remote controls, rain or temperature sensors, or a ton of speeds. Also peeked at the Heng's Vortex briefly, but haven't done a lot of research on that one yet.

We're weekend warriors, so the 6 or 7 times we use the TT each season, the 'rattlefan' works.

Another item that caught my eye, was replacing just the 6 blade with a 9 blade fan. Looking at the Camco 40428. Figured it might be worth a try for $7. I need to look at the old one first, for proper rotation pitch.
Thanks. Good ideas. If your rig is in storage and/or you can’t get to it to check the blades, I can take one of mine and PM it to you.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:39 AM   #13
Site Team

Thanks, I appreciate that, but it's right here beside the house covered up. I'm in no real rush to replace it until all this white stuff goes away. Been listening to it for 8 years anyway.

I think the stove vent fan takes the same size fan blade. That one's loud-ish too, so I may do both of them at the same time. I'll update in the spring on the merit of changing them to a 9 blade.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #14

Bathroom Fan

Thanks for the comments, will have to see how it works out. I am not concerned about ripping the existing out, and installing a higher volume fan. After retiring from the government I worked part time as a RV technician. I probably have changed out a dozen or so, don’t want to spend money unnecessarily. FYI my wife can’t reach the switch or tops of cabinets so a stepstool is a must.
Kenny Garrett
Old 02-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that, but it's right here beside the house covered up. I'm in no real rush to replace it until all this white stuff goes away. Been listening to it for 8 years anyway.

I think the stove vent fan takes the same size fan blade. That one's loud-ish too, so I may do both of them at the same time. I'll update in the spring on the merit of changing them to a 9 blade.
Sounds good. Definitely looks like a cheap alternative. I’m actually surprised at how much the stock fan pulls — can tell by how much towel lint/fuzz I clean off the screen!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #16

We have a 264BHW and the bathroom is so small, the stock OEM fan works just fine to remove moisture and oders. Both my DW and I can reach the ceiling fan switch, but for our trailer it is easy to stand in the elevated tub to reach the switch.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
My wife could not reach the fan switch either.
What I did was got a double switch to replace the existing light switch and took power from there up to the fan. Now she just flips a switch to turn on the fan, she’s very happy. 😎
Attached Thumbnails
2FDFFB22-3271-4B85-89A5-2AE10EE1CC3F.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #18

Bathroom Fan

Like that 2nd switch, any problems fishing the wire? Also I watched some videos on the Hengs Vortex fan, they carry them on Amazon starting at $36 the installation is all from inside.😊😄
Kenny Garrett
Old 02-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #19

Our trailer cane without a fan I wired in a Vortex fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industr...24433398&psc=1

I drops right in from the inside so there is no getting on the roof, re-caulking etc. It works very well in our small trailer. I also wired mine to the light switch as a previous poster mentioned.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny garrett View Post
Like that 2nd switch, any problems fishing the wire? Also I watched some videos on the Hengs Vortex fan, they carry them on Amazon starting at $36 the installation is all from inside.😊😄
Kenny Garrett
The location of the light switch in our 212qbw, is right underneath the fan and the wires go through the wall right beside the fan. So all I needed to do is drop the new wire for the fan down through the wall and grab it at the switch.