Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Bathroom fan blowing in, not out

My sister and bil bought a used Jayco 29L tt last fall. Took it out for its first trip late last fall. Everything was good, except the bath fan. Like most RV fans ive seen, they suck the air out, this one blows it in. Any ideas why? Its not your normal vent bath fan, but maybe more like a Fantastic fan (i think it was another brand)? Tried messing with it (i think it has a switch on it) but it still only blows in no matter what I do. STUMPED

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
My sister and bil bought a used Jayco 29L tt last fall. Took it out for its first trip late last fall. Everything was good, except the bath fan. Like most RV fans ive seen, they suck the air out, this one blows it in. Any ideas why? Its not your normal vent bath fan, but maybe more like a Fantastic fan (i think it was another brand)? Tried messing with it (i think it has a switch on it) but it still only blows in no matter what I do. STUMPED
Have you checked the leads to see if you can reverse them?
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #3

If a search of the fan does not reveal a switch to reverse the direction of flow you will have to reverse the power leads. These fans are DC powered and reversing the power wires will reverse the fan blade direction.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
Have you checked the leads to see if you can reverse them?
Good advice, with DC motors it should be just a matter of reversing the leads.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

...or flip the motor over!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

There is a fan called 'Hengs RV Vortex' that looks a bit like a Fantastic Fan but isn't reversible. It is supposed to be an easy replacement for the factory fans.

It is likely the previous owner wanted air blowing inward so sewer smells would not be sucked into the trailer if the toilet was flushed with the fan on.

If all that is correct, I believe all you need to do is reverse the leads and the fan will blow outward.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Ill see them tonight, I will ask my bil if he can switch the leads. About a week ago, he said he reversed the leads at the battery and it still blew inward. Im not sure how it didnt blow the fuses. He may have had the shore power plugged in at the same time and im guessing it wouldnt have made a differance. Ive never had one of those fans apart. If I remember correctly, it tells what color wire is hot and cold on the fan and he said it was correct. But your right, its 12v, shouldnt make a differance what way its hooked up.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #8

STOP IMMEDIATELY and get someone involved who can figure this out. Reversing the battery leads could have damaged the fridge and other sensitive 12v items. I would hope that he didn't actually switch the +/- leads at the battery.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
STOP IMMEDIATELY and get someone involved who can figure this out. Reversing the battery leads could have damaged the fridge and other sensitive 12v items. I would hope that he didn't actually switch the +/- leads at the battery.
WHAT HE SAID! If you and your BIL aren't somewhat familiar with 12v TT systems.

DO NOT REVERSE THE LEADS AT THE BATTERY!

Temporarily reversing the leads at THE FAN should do no harm, but should reverse the fan direction!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Thats what he told me! I am an ase mechanic and understand 12v, but what he does when im not there is up to him. He is lucky he didn't damage anything and honestly im surprized that he didnt blow up the battery or at minimum blow the fuses at the connection. We are leaving on a week long vacation with them soon and I will bring my electrical tool box and switch the wires at the fan while there. Acording to him, the fan is wired correctly per what the diagram says, so maybe its supposed to blow in, but he wants it to blow out so I guess this is the best way to do it

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

My stove top vent fan was blowing backwards when we got the trailer. Factory installed the wires backwards. Switched them around and works fine now and sucks all the cooking smells and fumes out of the trailer now.
Bathroom fan should be an easy fix.