Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Bathroom sink leak

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, just bought a '17 jayco jay flight 26bh. First trailer ever. One of my camping buddies told me about this site as it's helped him out on an occasion. Was out for our first trip this weekend (awesome time) and noticed that the black drain pipe coming down from the bottom of the sink was leaking. Please see pic.....it was leaking right where there is some type of blank twist knob. I tried hand tightening it more but when the water was turned on it still leaked. I absolutely know nothing about plumbing. I didn't want to bring this back to the dealer if it was a quick fix as the dealer is an hour away. Other than that enjoyed the trailer. Hope someone can help.

Thanks...Joe!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Firstime Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Team

First put one hand on the fitting below that goes to the trap and the other on the fitting and try to hand tighten it a little more. If it still leaks, unscrew the fitting in the opposite direction and look for a gasket under there that is not seated properly.

Out a pan under it because there may be some water inside that will leak out while it is loose.

This should not be hard to find and repair.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Try this- loosen the black knob (compression fitting) and get the white pipe coming from the sink down into the black fitting and the tighten the black compression fitting back up. Make sure everything is straight and tight by hand and this should take care of the leak. You should check any other drains/fittings too as things can and will loosen up. Hope this helps!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

From your picture, it looks like the tailpiece from the sink is not aligned with the P-trap for some reason. It also looks like the fitting may be too large for the tailpiece as well. Actually looks like sloppy work as that bend would lead me to think that the black drain pipe behind actually has incorrect slope.

I would pop off the P-trap (unscrew both front and back of the fitting), and then reseat it to make sure it is tight both ends. I am wondering if the back connection is cross threaded and that is why it is crooked. As Norty indicates, make sure that the gasket where the black and white piece meet is tight - if it can't tighten, you might consider replacing the p-trap completely. Take the parts with you to your local Lowes or Home Despot and they can help you find the correct size to swap in. You can take the tailpiece too to ensure you get the right fit by unscrewing the black fitting right under the sink bowl. These are like a $5ish part maybe; not worth a trip back to the dealer IMO.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

[QUOTE=bankr63;445165]From your picture, it looks like the tailpiece from the sink is not aligned with the P-trap for some reason. It also looks like the fitting may be too large for the tailpiece as well. Actually looks like sloppy work as that bend would lead me to think that the black drain pipe behind actually has incorrect slope.

I would pop off the P-trap (unscrew both front and back of the fitting), and then reseat it to make sure it is tight both ends. I am wondering if the back connection is cross threaded and that is why it is crooked. As Norty indicates, make sure that the gasket where the black and white piece meet is tight - if it can't tighten, you might consider replacing the p-trap completely. Take the parts with you to your local Lowes or Home Despot and they can help you find the correct size to swap in. You can take the tailpiece too to ensure you get the right fit by unscrewing the black fitting right under the sink bowl. These are like a $5ish part maybe; not worth a trip back to the dealer IMO

First off, thanks for your replies. So, I loosened the fitting and found a hard clear plastic gasket and tried to reseat it and retighten. As you can see from the short video clip, it's really leaking. I also attached another pic that may make sense to most if not all of you...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

Okay, so nix my comment about possible cross threading of the rear compression fitting, in this new photo it looks fine. I still think that you probably have negative slope on the waste line from the photo, but that isn't really related to the leak. Just be aware that it may be an issue.

But wow, I don't think I have ever seen a P-trap leaking THAT badly; almost like the drain is pressurized (which it may be slightly if the pipe is sloping uphill). The white nylon compression seal appears to be okay from the photo, but check it carefully for a break. Does it fit fairly snugly on the tailstock? If there is much more than about 1/32" gap uncompressed, then it is probably the wrong size; replace with the next smaller size. One other thing I can think of; I once had a cracked collar (the screw on piece that compresses the nylon seal). No amount of tightening would stop the leak as it would just jump the threads when tightened.

I would take the bottom of the P (unscrew the back collar at the other side of the U), and tailstock and head over to Lowes or HD where someone will get the parts sorted out right.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Got it fixed, thanks everyone for your valued input! Much appreciated!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

What did you do to resolve the problem? Did you determine a cause?

Thanks
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

I took the tail pipe and p-trap in the house and was messing around with it and determined that was wasn't seating the gasket properly. I was sitting the gasket on top of the p-trap and matching it up to the tail pipe and then tightening the twist connector over it. The was wrong obviously as water was leaking like crazy. What I did was slide the connector on the tail pipe first then slide the gasket up alittle on the tail pipe. I then matched the tail pipe and p-trap up and hand tightened. I ran the water for few minutes with no leaks.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Amazing how some of the simplest things can cause so much trouble.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

I hear ya!