Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2024, 05:20 PM   #1

Batteries…Yes again! :)

I’m considering changing batteries. Currently have 2 interstate deep cycle marine, 24 series, in parallel. They died after 2 years, again, 2nd set in 4 years. I have a battery disconnect installed.
So do I go with 2 golf cart batteries or AGM batteries? Do I need 2 AGMs if I get one with 100ah?
N Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:36 PM   #2

is your onboard charger lithium compatible?
That pair of 24 series you currently have are only good for around 75 Ah total output before 50% dead.
I think they might keep going to totally dead is why they only last 2 years.
I just pulled a 27 series Deep Cycle Walmart battery that was dated 2012, sure it was only good for lights but it still charged when I took it out.

Just to replace that pair of 24 series is going to cost you $300 for EverStart AGM deep Cycle, and again, you might have 75ah total before 50% dead.

You can buy 140 Total AH lithium (with cold protection) from amazon for $277 shipped, and it can go 90% dead, charge faster, and weighs a whole lot less. it made sense for me because our built in charger is supposed to be lithium compatible (but it still has not switched over) and the solar I have keeps it charged.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 05:37 PM   #3

First question...do you leave the trailer plugged in all the time? If in storage do you use the battery disconnect? Do you check the water level often?

If maintained properly they should last more than 2 years. Last summer I replace mine after 6 years of use, even though they weren't showing any signs of failure. My trailer is plugged in 24/7. I check the water level once a month and seldom added water.

I replaced my two originals with one Renogy 100amp hour AGM battery. After a weekend dry camping without my generator I added a second one. If I was going to do it again I would probably buy the single 200 amp hour AGM battery. I bought mine from Amazon.

For a test I unplugged my trailer for 3 weeks to see what the voltage loss would be. Went from 12.5v when unplugged to 12.3v 3 weeks later. I was impressd they held the voltage that long. I did use my battery disconnect.

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-ag...12-volt-100ah/

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-ag...12-volt-200ah/

The prices fluctuate often...check Amazon and look for a price drop.

***Just looked at the Specs for the 200ah...128 pounds!! I'll stay with 2 singles!
FMCA#544631

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 10:47 PM   #4

Thanks.
Unit not plugged during storage. I use battery disconnect during storage. Didn’t know about the water levels. Never checked until now, they were low. I added distilled water and trickle charged full. Might be to to late.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:23 AM   #5

is your storage indoors or outdoors? are you in sun where you could run a smaller solar system to keep your batteries charged in storage? In my storage area I see most RV's have a small solar system they put out on the ground. 30W should keep your 2 batteries charged. But I would recommend looking for one that you can select your battery type.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:46 AM   #6

Thanks. Yes outside in the sun. I’ve been looking at solar chargers. How would I connect alligator clips to 2 batteries in parallel?
Old 07-11-2024, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
Thanks. Yes outside in the sun. I’ve been looking at solar chargers. How would I connect alligator clips to 2 batteries in parallel?
They can be viewed as 2 batteries, but when connected together they really are one larger battery. in parallel both + are the same and both - are the same. just put red clip on either + terminal. and black clip on either - terminal.

Or better yet, wire an SAE cable to the batteries (with an inline fuse) and use that to connect the charger

Here is some directions and pictures.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:54 AM   #8

As Tow-Pro said this is the time to switch to lithium.

Some of the great things about lithium include long life, no checking or filling water, no damage if accidentally allowed to be fully discharged like lead batteries and lighter weight for the same amps available.
Some like my Renogy have bluetooth built in and the Renogy Home app will tell you how the battery is doing. Included are amps available, charge or discharge rate, temperature and much more. Good ones have internal controls that prevent over charge and several other potential problems.
Even if your built in system doesn't have a dedicated lithium charging setting it will charge a lithium battery to 80% or more and will not harm it. That is more than two Group 24 lead batteries have in them to actually use.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #9

Thanks
Old 07-12-2024, 09:38 AM   #10

Disconnect doesnt turn everything off and that is probably whats killing your batteries
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Disconnect doesnt turn everything off and that is probably whats killing your batteries
Mine shuts everything off, including the CO & Propane detector. Depends on how and who wired it.
FMCA#544631

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 10:53 AM   #12

The batteries shuld be checked a few times a years. When water is required ONLY use DISTILLED water. Any other type of water will shorten the battery life..

As for AMH batteries, I installed a group 31 a couple years ago. So far I am happy with it. I did need a new battery box.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Saban View Post
Thanks.
Unit not plugged during storage. I use battery disconnect during storage. Didn’t know about the water levels. Never checked until now, they were low. I added distilled water and trickle charged full. Might be to to late.
Battery disconnects do not fully disconnect from ALL sources.
The only way to fully disconnect is to Remove cables from the batteries when storing.
Or put your own disconnect at the battery.
I.E. Trailer brakes never disconnect as well as Solar and converter ect.

2024 Jayco Whitehawk 26FK
2022 Ford F-150 Powerboost Hybrid
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:13 PM   #14

When I installed my disconnect I made sure that when turned off that nothing works.. including the jack
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote