Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

battery

Hi all just brought home our first TT 2weeks ago and went on short trip this past weekend. Is it safe to disconnect the battery cables from the battery after each trip? Also, is there a faster way to light up the water heater at the pilot? we have the Jayco flight 18.4SB.
randycr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #2

If you're not going to be using the trailer for weeks between trips then I
would disconnect the battery.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 AM   #3

Randy,

Yes, you should disconnect the battery. There are “sneak circuits” like your propane and/or smoke detectors that will continue to draw juice until they drain your battery. Be sure and remember (or mark) which are your positive and negative cables.

As to your water heater, if not used in awhile it takes a little time to purge the air from the lines.

All best, and safe travels!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Order a rv battery disconnect switch. That way you just flip a switch not take a cable off.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Order a rv battery disconnect switch. That way you just flip a switch not take a cable off.
X2. Alot easier than to disconnect and reconnect the cables each time.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
X2. Alot easier than to disconnect and reconnect the cables each time.
X3. Just a twist on or off and you are good to go — or not.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

The disconnect switch is easy. I have been pulling the inline fuse at the battery. The parasite drains on the battery will drain it within a few weeks.

At our new home, I just plug the TT into a regular 110V 20 amp outlet.

As for the water heater, not sure which one you have. I suspect you have to manually light it. I would recommend first lighting the stove, until you get a good flame. Then light the frig and water heater. This purges most of the gas line first.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Thanks for the response. Any brand battery disconnect switch recommended?
randycr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Im using this one since 4 years , cheap, low profile fit on most Batt Box easy to install and reliable https://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-...6TD9SA7RFTFHPE

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

Blue Sea is one well known brand. I use a cheapo rotary one from Princess Auto, which is similar to harbor freight. They aren't complex devices, so I'm comfortable using an off-brand.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The disconnect switch is easy. I have been pulling the inline fuse at the battery. The parasite drains on the battery will drain it within a few weeks.

At our new home, I just plug the TT into a regular 110V 20 amp outlet.

As for the water heater, not sure which one you have. I suspect you have to manually light it. I would recommend first lighting the stove, until you get a good flame. Then light the frig and water heater. This purges most of the gas line first.
Go with Jagiven on this. Instal the marine battery disconnect switch as it is easier than disconnecting a cable. If you light a stove burner first, the fridge and HWH will then fire up with no problem.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

I identified the propane and co2 detector fuse in the panel of 1 rig i had and pulled the fuse. Another rig i put wing nuts on the battery. You only need to remove either the negative or positive, not both. Now, my Eagle has a disconnect
Rgrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #13

To speed up lighting the hot water heater, I would try firing up one of the stove top burners briefly . That will help purge the lines of air and may helping lighting the water heater and also the fridge.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #14
Site Team

Here is the one I purchased on Amazon. It is replacing the original one that I installed 6 years ago and finally died.

So, your next question probably is... "Which battery cable do I install the switch on?"... That question will bring at least 25 or more personal opinions.

Mine, well I decided to mount on the NEGATIVE cable. Only had to purchase a 6" small black automotive battery cable (Amazon) with a lug on each end to fit over the mounting bolts. Mounted it next to the frame bolt that the TT's battery's negative cable is connected to. (remove the ground bolt, connect the short black battery cable to the frame and the other end to the switch. Connect the batteries negative cable to the other end of the switch and mount the switch to the frame. DONE.

Everything has a PRO and a CON, so here you go....

PRO = Everything that is electrical (minus SOLAR) on the TT is disconnected as I opted to connect EVERYTHING electrical on the switched side.. TT, tongue jack and electric TT brakes are also on the switched side. My reason is that we do not travel unless the Fridge is on, so I have to have the battery disconnect switch in the on position. Also, we use the tongue jack when departing, so the power will be needed at that point.

CON = If you hook up everything on the switched side of the switch, and you forget to turn it on when traveling, you will not have an operational break away switch (TT's electric brakes).

POSITIVE cable hookup.
PRO = You can connect the Emergency Breakaway switch to the batteries POSITIVE terminal and the brakes will work, should they be needed. You can also connect the tongue jack to the batteries POSITIVE terminal and that will work.

CON - Kind-of like defeats the purpose of a TOTAL disconnect switch for storage, but I understand some may have an issue with remembering to turn on the switch when traveling. Although you could put the Battery disconnect switch on the POSITIVE cable and connect ALL the TT's electrical to the switched side which would ALSO disconnect everything on the TT.

I hope this helps...

Below is the new switch that I just purchased.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Battery Disconnect Switch.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Sorry, I forgot to add the short battery cable purchased from Amazon.
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Battery Disconnect Switch short cable.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #16

If possible , just plug the tt into a 120 receptacle, with an adaptor, battery stays charged. no muss no fuss.
Ford ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford ECO View Post
If possible , just plug the tt into a 120 receptacle, with an adaptor, battery stays charged. no muss no fuss.
The answer is "YES" and "NO".

It depends on the TT's battery charge controller. The newer models, but you still should check out the charging characteristics of the unit, the answer is more than likely "YES". They have "SMART" controllers. On the older units, some of the battery charge controllers are not "SMART" controllers and can boil your batteries (over charge). Also, should someone accidently pull the plug, maybe to use it for some other electrical item, and forget to replace it.. well you probably guessed it, dead battery in 2 weeks or less.

I am sure others will share their thoughts also

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is the one I purchased on Amazon. It is replacing the original one that I installed 6 years ago and finally died.

So, your next question probably is... "Which battery cable do I install the switch on?"... That question will bring at least 25 or more personal opinions.

Mine, well I decided to mount on the NEGATIVE cable. Only had to purchase a 6" small black automotive battery cable (Amazon) with a lug on each end to fit over the mounting bolts. Mounted it next to the frame bolt that the TT's battery's negative cable is connected to. (remove the ground bolt, connect the short black battery cable to the frame and the other end to the switch. Connect the batteries negative cable to the other end of the switch and mount the switch to the frame. DONE.

Everything has a PRO and a CON, so here you go....

PRO = Everything that is electrical (minus SOLAR) on the TT is disconnected as I opted to connect EVERYTHING electrical on the switched side.. TT, tongue jack and electric TT brakes are also on the switched side. My reason is that we do not travel unless the Fridge is on, so I have to have the battery disconnect switch in the on position. Also, we use the tongue jack when departing, so the power will be needed at that point.

CON = If you hook up everything on the switched side of the switch, and you forget to turn it on when traveling, you will not have an operational break away switch (TT's electric brakes).

POSITIVE cable hookup.
PRO = You can connect the Emergency Breakaway switch to the batteries POSITIVE terminal and the brakes will work, should they be needed. You can also connect the tongue jack to the batteries POSITIVE terminal and that will work.

CON - Kind-of like defeats the purpose of a TOTAL disconnect switch for storage, but I understand some may have an issue with remembering to turn on the switch when traveling. Although you could put the Battery disconnect switch on the POSITIVE cable and connect ALL the TT's electrical to the switched side which would ALSO disconnect everything on the TT.

I hope this helps...

Below is the new switch that I just purchased.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang I have the same switch and wired it to the negative side. Easy to do and I always turn the switch on as soon as I hook up the TV. I turn it off when we get home from a trip and it works great.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #19

I used to just disconnect the battery when I had a single 12 volt deep cycle. Much to my dismay, the battery went dead due to innactivity. I purchased two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries hooked up in series now when I disconnect, I keep it hooked up to a Battery Tender and that keeps the batteries at a constant state of charge.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
I used to just disconnect the battery when I had a single 12 volt deep cycle. Much to my dismay, the battery went dead due to inactivity.
If your batteries are fully charged and they are in good condition (did not spend any time under 12.2 VDC) and have been properly maintained, they will last months without needing a charge. I had my original Interstate batteries sitting by my workbench and did not have a trickle charge or the SOLAR on them and after 3 months they were at 12.8 Volts. Up north I used to disconnect my batteries (fully charged) and they sat over the winter with no issues.

Are you sure that there is no parasitic drain on them? Possible a cell going bad?

Just wondering
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR