Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Battery

Question: I have a brand new 2020 28BHBE Jayco Flight in my drive way plugged in with an extension cord to the house. Should I be doing something to protect the battery?

Not on the up an up with electricity, and I'm guessing by me plugging into the house its 15 amps???
rcouwlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

Your converter should be good as a maintainer so I wouldn't worry about only having 15 amps.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #3

Cool Thanks!
rcouwlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouwlier View Post
Question: I have a brand new 2020 28BHBE Jayco Flight in my drive way plugged in with an extension cord to the house. Should I be doing something to protect the battery?

Not on the up an up with electricity, and I'm guessing by me plugging into the house its 15 amps???
The current power centers in RV’s are pretty awesome. You can literally keep your RV plugged in for extended periods of time ( months) without any concern. They are all 3 stage chargers and after 40 ish hours of non use ( no electrical loads) the battery charger feature in your power center goes in to float (trickle charge) mode. This is very healthy for any battery, just make sure if it’s flooded you maintain the battery every 2 to 3 months by adding distilled water and not letting it go dry.
ErnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

You should have a volt meter somewhere to make sure it’s charging properly on shore power. You don’t want a blown fuse and allow your batteries to go dead. Just check them occasionally, need to check the water also.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouwlier View Post
Like others said, put a digital voltage meter on the battery and check the voltage to make sure the converter is charging it, and voltage is above 12.6, should be in the 13s if the converter is working.

Also, since you're plugged into a 15 amp line, don't try to run your roof A/C unit or electric water heater.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #7

If you have a battery shut off, make sure it’s in the “on” position when plugged in at home. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
If you have a battery shut off, make sure it’s in the “on” position when plugged in at home. Jay
Also make sure your battery connect is "on" prior to operating the slide or the tongue jack. As I understand it, you can mess up your electrical converter if the battery is not helping.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote