Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Hollander Mutthaulers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 493
Best wishes getting your refrigerator to work properly.

Once you get it up and running...

We hardwired a 2" computer fan that blows on the coils. It's stuck in place with industrial velro and is hardwired to a switch (from a broken coffee maker) just inside the refrig door. Really helps to circulate air and keep things evenly cooled. We can use our refrig after about 4-6 hours of cooling.

To monitor temps, we have a digital thermometer with a remote sensor. The sensor goes in the refrig and the main unit stays in the cabin. We always know at a glance what the temps are.

p.s. I see you're from Jersey. I'm a Montana boy who married a Jersey girl and is she ever the best! - and still amazing over 50 years later! They grow more than sweet corn and tomatoes in the Garden State! : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wooster
Posts: 5
And in any refrigerator you really need a load on it. They don't cool air well or maybe I should say air doesn't hold temperature well. Always put a a few bottles of water in the freezer and a couple of gallo9ns in the refrigerator itself. As some one said using pre frozen items will speed the proiocess.

Maybe you are already doing this

Garry
Garry Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:07 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Itís not likely the battery although you will get a low DC warning when youíre disconnect from shore power and using propane. If you wire the fridge direct to the battery you can fix this problem. As for the fridge not cooling I wouldnít take it in for service. Itís a common problem of too much heat in the space behind the fridge. The fix is to put in cooling fans in the external vents. There are a ton video on YouTube. The fix is not costly and will help the fridge cool more efficiently. Good luck with it
OK, thatís a new spin on this problem, fans in the exhaust vents! Thatís a fresh idea. Thank you rodpod.
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
And in any refrigerator you really need a load on it. They don't cool air well or maybe I should say air doesn't hold temperature well. Always put a a few bottles of water in the freezer and a couple of gallo9ns in the refrigerator itself. As some one said using pre frozen items will speed the proiocess.

Maybe you are already doing this

Garry
Yes, but we did this only in the freezer. The frozen water bottles in the fridge may give it the push it needs to cool down? Thank you Gary!
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Memphis
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
I purchased an SLX7 184BS trailer last September. Family loves it, except for the fridge. It never seems to get cold enough, no matter how long we keep it running with propane on and land line electric going through it.

My question is this, does the size and output of the battery have anything to do with the way the fridge gets cold? When I bought my trailer the sales rep said when needed, go with the biggest battery they offer for my trailer. Apparently there is a larger, more powerful battery than the one that came with my trailer.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
frank d.
The battery is for controls, but of little consequence to the cooling capacity, but another owner recently reported LPG issues w/ another appliance and found low gas pressure. Replacing the LP REGULATOR cured his issue and side benefit, he NOTED that "Refrig NOW works better than ever before."
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Best wishes getting your refrigerator to work properly.

Once you get it up and running...

We hardwired a 2" computer fan that blows on the coils. It's stuck in place with industrial velro and is hardwired to a switch (from a broken coffee maker) just inside the refrig door. Really helps to circulate air and keep things evenly cooled. We can use our refrig after about 4-6 hours of cooling.

To monitor temps, we have a digital thermometer with a remote sensor. The sensor goes in the refrig and the main unit stays in the cabin. We always know at a glance what the temps are.

p.s. I see you're from Jersey. I'm a Montana boy who married a Jersey girl and is she ever the best! - and still amazing over 50 years later! They grow more than sweet corn and tomatoes in the Garden State! : )
I just got my 3000rpm RV fridge fan delivered this morning. Has tons of great reviews. Weíll see😂

And as an aside,Hollander, my Jersey bred sonny boy married a Montana mountain girl, from Missoula, where A River Runs Thru It was filmed!! Tall and blonde with giant green eyes, and boy can she cook a steak! My son is a very lucky young man.
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
The battery is for controls, but of little consequence to the cooling capacity, but another owner recently reported LPG issues w/ another appliance and found low gas pressure. Replacing the LP REGULATOR cured his issue and side benefit, he NOTED that "Refrig NOW works better than ever before."
And another place to troubleshoot! Thank you, thenne, for bringing this to my attention.
frank
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Miami
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
OK, thatís a new spin on this problem, fans in the exhaust vents! Thatís a fresh idea. Thank you rodpod.
Nice pun, I just installed 2 high volume fans inside the roof vents works great. Many vids on YouTube to help with installation and results.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Nice pun, I just installed 2 high volume fans inside the roof vents works great. Many vids on YouTube to help with installation and results.
More projects?
Now I have to look into this too!! I knew I should have stayed on the guitar forum😭😭😭

Thank you rodpod.
frankie d.
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #30
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
My experience has also been much better cooling on propane than electric. Also make sure that the trailer is level. These fridges, from my exp, are sensitive to that. Another thing to double check is the wire on the fins in the fridge. I have a dometic so not sure if the norcold has the same thing but there is a white wire that connects to the sliding temp control on one of the fins. That wire comes off the plastic piece really easily and if its off you lose control of the temp.

Fact is, and Tom's may be different, my RV repair people tell me that one is not any better, or worse than the other. Outside temp is a major determination on how fast and how cold the fridge will get. The more you open the door, the slower it will cool. Some frozen one gallon bottle of water will help get it down, but again, it will not stay there if it is hot outside. I have found that shade on the outside fridge vent, and a fan or two inside that compartment will help, a few degrees. These units are just not designed to cool if temps are warm.



Check your thermister, as Tom mentioned, if that unit has one (a slide with a wire attached on the inside cooling fins. Higher on the fin it is on is best. In Arizona, during the summer and temps outside from 80 to 100+ you will be lucky to get the fridge below 50. The freezer will probably get below freezing and may make it to 0F. The fridge will not and it will struggle to stay cold.
__________________
2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP
2019 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
2011 Cyclone 3010 Toy Hauler- Sold
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax LML -Sold
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
FrankieSaysRelax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Fact is, and Tom's may be different, my RV repair people tell me that one is not any better, or worse than the other. Outside temp is a major determination on how fast and how cold the fridge will get. The more you open the door, the slower it will cool. Some frozen one gallon bottle of water will help get it down, but again, it will not stay there if it is hot outside. I have found that shade on the outside fridge vent, and a fan or two inside that compartment will help, a few degrees. These units are just not designed to cool if temps are warm.



Check your thermister, as Tom mentioned, if that unit has one (a slide with a wire attached on the inside cooling fins. Higher on the fin it is on is best. In Arizona, during the summer and temps outside from 80 to 100+ you will be lucky to get the fridge below 50. The freezer will probably get below freezing and may make it to 0F. The fridge will not and it will struggle to stay cold.

Thank you for these tips, CAG! Your time is much appreciated. Thank you again.
frank d.
__________________
2022 JayFlight SLX7 184BS Kokopelli Edition
2022 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD w/BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.