Jayco RV Owners Forum
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 264
Battery Box Fit?

I just bought two 6v batteries. In order to get a battery box Iíve got to keep the box less than 7 1/2Ē wide as thatís how wide my tongue Support is.

Problem is I canít find any battery boxes at this wide or less. All of them are like 8Ē wide. The battery measures only 7Ē wide so there has got to be a solution.

Anyone know where I can get a battery box for a 6v that is less than 7 1/2Ē wide? My battery support on the tongue canít be that unique width wide from all the other jayco trailers...

Do I need a battery box lol?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Husky911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: La Porte
Posts: 26
https://www.batterymart.com/p-hm426-...ttery-box.html
__________________

Husky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky911 View Post


Thanks but that is more than 7.5Ē wide....?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
wwt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 100
The box posted by Husky911 has mounting feet so it can be bolted down.
If the other dimensions work for you here is a suggestion.
The box will set on top of the tongue supports. Go to the hardware store and buy some 1/8" x 3/4" x 36" steel. Cut two pieces a little longer than the box width and drill a hole on each end for a bolt. Set the box on top of the tongue supports and place the steel strips on bottom of supports. Use bolts to clamp everything together. You could even bolt the steel strips to the tongue supports so there's no chance of them sliding to one side.
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 24RBS
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.4l HEMI
Sold :( 2006 Ram 3500 SRW, QC, 4x4, Inline 6.
wwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
RoyBraddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King George
Posts: 2,562
My STARCRAFT OFF-ROAD Trailer has these steel angles welded on across my trailer tongues area. I can line up three GP24 12V Interstate batteries and their plastic battery box across this area as shown here..


I am planning to mount a 54-inch TORKLIFT Battery box in this spot that will house 4ea GC2-6VDC batteries for my next battery bank giving me a good 450AH 12VDC Battery capacity for my OFF-ROAD Camping. This will extend way out on both sides of the trailer tongue area...

I will secure this new battery box using screws into the trailer tongue using the existing angle strip for my battery box guide.



Roy ken
__________________
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Husky911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: La Porte
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwt View Post
The box posted by Husky911 has mounting feet so it can be bolted down.
If the other dimensions work for you here is a suggestion.
The box will set on top of the tongue supports. Go to the hardware store and buy some 1/8" x 3/4" x 36" steel. Cut two pieces a little longer than the box width and drill a hole on each end for a bolt. Set the box on top of the tongue supports and place the steel strips on bottom of supports. Use bolts to clamp everything together. You could even bolt the steel strips to the tongue supports so there's no chance of them sliding to one side.
What he said.......bolt it on top of what you have.......
Husky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Member
 
Tumbleweed44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
My STARCRAFT OFF-ROAD Trailer has these steel angles welded on across my trailer tongues area. I can line up three GP24 12V Interstate batteries and their plastic battery box across this area as shown here..


I am planning to mount a 54-inch TORKLIFT Battery box in this spot that will house 4ea GC2-6VDC batteries for my next battery bank giving me a good 450AH 12VDC Battery capacity for my OFF-ROAD Camping. This will extend way out on both sides of the trailer tongue area...

I will secure this new battery box using screws into the trailer tongue using the existing angle strip for my battery box guide.
Roy, I have a shorter, 2 battery, Power Armor box. Absolutely love it. I had to raise it to fit on my trailer tongue due to the WD brackets.
__________________
2015 Seneca 36 FK. Purchased, used, October 7, 2017. Build 5 Console & Diamond Plate steps. Extend-A-Fill extensions. Scan Gauge.
2011 Jeep JK in trailer.
Tumbleweed44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 264
Thanks guys. My mount is dropped between the tongue frame. I guess I could place something over the top but that would look strange. I think I might just forget the battery box all. together.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Thanks guys. My mount is dropped between the tongue frame. I guess I could place something over the top but that would look strange. I think I might just forget the battery box all. together.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suppose you could buy/make a cover similar to the one that is already on most battery boxes. Then just strap it down to the batteries. I would not leave the battery and terminals completely uncovered. To me, that is just asking for connection issues down the road.
__________________

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,040
Battery Box

In my 06 Toy Haller never had a battery box had two 6v batteries. In my 16 Eagle have two battery boxes, kind of a pain when you want to check the water level.When we convert too 6v,don't think I will us the boxes! Iam sure there are pros an cons!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
__________________

bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jacyo, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.