Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Battery connect fuse issue

Hello, I picked up my new 2015 28dsbh yesterday and I'm currently at the campground on our maiden voyage. While unhooking yesterday and using the power jack it stopped working after a few seconds. Determined that the 30amp battery connect fuse blew. I replaced it and all is good for now. My question is should I expect this to happen often? Is this a common issue for anyone? The unit sat at a dealership for approximately 2 months before I bought it. Going forward I will keep an ample supply of 30 amp fuses just in case. Thanks
tpennington70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Team

The power jacks on the TT's have no smarts... if you extend them all the way in either direction it will blow the fuse. You need to mark the shaft to let you know how much more you can go either way. Once you hear that funny noise like it is binding, take your finger off the switch as fast as possible.

Use spacer blocks under it and watch how high you raise it and it should be OK. I also ran the power jacks 30 amp fused lead directly to the battery which does not have any additional draw from the TT's internal load. You may want to look at a slow-blow fuse for the power jacks inline fuse.

1 - Make sure that the wires are connected nice an tight for power.
2 - Make sure that you have the TT's wheel chocks in place before raising/lowering using the jack, as any shift will add stress on the jack.

Since wiring it directly to the battery, I have not blown a fuse since.

Just my thoughts

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

I agree with Mustang. Over extending the jack will blow the fuse. I did that when we first got our TT by retracting the jack all the way up. I now carry several spares. Also keep in mind that if you blow the fuse and don't have a spare one you can just back up the TV and plug into its connector. (I don't know if you need to have a battery charging line for it to work.)

I wouldn't recommend installing a slow-blow fuse because you run the risk of damaging the jack. The purpose of a fuse is to prevent damage to the equipment it is protecting.

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote