Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Yes. But, removing and reattaching the battery cable is not as 'quick and clean' usually. Some electronics don't like the intermittent connection when messing with the cables.
He is correct, the low voltage electronics do not like disconnecting the cable as it is not a CLEAN disconnect. While removing the cable, it could have made and brake contact 3 or 4 times for a split second, low voltage circuits do not really like that. Another issue is you may eventually oxidize the connections (if you do not clean them each time) or not tighten them properly and cause additional future issues.

Not sure as to what your reason for disconnecting the battery ground cable is, but to accomplish disconnecting the battery from the TT electronics just pull the main 30 amp fuse by the battery, this isolates the battery from the TT circuits (except the "Break-away" switch which will not drain the battery if it is not activated).

If you intend on doing electrical projects on the TT (like I do), I would recommend a cut off switch, other wise if you are just parking it with out shore power, pull the main 30 amp fuse.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #12

So it's best to first use my disconnect switch and then remove cables to store or replace the battery? I've got a new battery to install. I'd never thought of messing up electronics.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
So it's best to first use my disconnect switch and then remove cables to store or replace the battery? I've got a new battery to install. I'd never thought of messing up electronics.
If you have a disconnect switch shut that off before disconnecting the battery. If you do not have a disconnect switch pull the main 30 amp fuse by the battery, then disconnect the battery. Either way, if you are plugged into shore power, also disconnect that source of power.

Don
MagicJack Internet Phone

Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
If you already have a disconnect switch installed, yes; disconnect there before disconnecting/installing/removing the battery.

It's not that disconnecting/reconnecting at the battery occasionally will cause a problem with the electronics. But for those disconnecting/reconnecting frequently, a disconnect switch is better.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Sorry for the hijack. But, to overly clarify for myself, if we leave stored for a few weeks at a time with no access to 120. In place of installing a disconnect (or until we can) we can just pull the 30 amp fuse to avoid parasitic drain? Am I understanding that correctly? Any downside to doing it that way vs a disconnect switch?
KScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KScamper View Post
Sorry for the hijack. But, to overly clarify for myself, if we leave stored for a few weeks at a time with no access to 120. In place of installing a disconnect (or until we can) we can just pull the 30 amp fuse to avoid parasitic drain? Am I understanding that correctly? Any downside to doing it that way vs a disconnect switch?
Pulling the fuse is fine

Don
MagicJack Internet Phone

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KScamper View Post
Yep, just pull the inline fuse, and it isolates the battery so it cannot be drained from the parasite electronics. This is what I do when I need to. Normally I am connected to shore power while at home.
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

In many cased the 30amp inline fuse you will find is for the tongue jack. Pulling that won't disconnect your trailer.
On our trailer there is a resettable 30amp circuit breaker attached to the front of the TT frame. So disconnecting that fuse (breaker) would involve tools anyway.

I have added a disconnect switch and it works great.

If you are pulling fuses check your trailer to see if it is still getting power or you may come back to a dead battery.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
In many cased the 30amp inline fuse you will find is for the tongue jack. Pulling that won't disconnect your trailer.
On our trailer there is a resettable 30amp circuit breaker attached to the front of the TT frame. So disconnecting that fuse (breaker) would involve tools anyway.

I have added a disconnect switch and it works great.

If you are pulling fuses check your trailer to see if it is still getting power or you may come back to a dead battery.

Cheers
Good to know. Thanks!
KScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #20

I just pull the inline fuse. Did it with my pop-up and never had a issue for 13 years. Only replaced the battery once. I kinda steer clear from yanking the cables off the battery. Just because, being in the auto industry, it's a big no-no due to the electronics and programming of modules and processors. Just something I've always avoided.

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote