Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect?

HI all!

Pretty new to this forum and appreciate what I've learned lurking the last few weeks. We brought our 2017 Hummingbird 17RK home last weekend and I had a question.

Our RK has two new batteries, and while home I have the trailer hooked up to 30amp. I didn't plan on moving batteries to garage for for battery tender. Should I install a disconnect for service, boondocking or some other reason?

Thanks a lot!

Brent
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Since your keeping the rig plugged in to shore power, the converter/smart charger will keep the batteries topped off. Personally, I would go ahead and install a cutoff in the event you lost power due to a storm or such to eliminate parasitic draw.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

That makes a lot of sense. I'll be sure to do it. Thanks so much and happy holidays!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #4

I just installed one on our trailer. Got it on Amazon (Marinco 701 battery disconnect). It was less than $20 plus shipping on Amazon. The same switch at Bass Pro or other places was almost 3X the price. Makes it much easier when in storage to disconnect the battery rather than having to disconnect the neg cable each time. I have a solar maint charger I keep on the battery while in storage. Once the really cold temps started I brought the battery back to storage in the garage.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

Great price! Just ordered one! Thanks very much!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #6

You will also need a battery cable to go from the switch back to the neg side of the battery since you will put your existing neg cable from the trailer on one side of the switch. You can measure the approx length you need and pick one up for a few bucks at Auto Zone or WalMart, etc. I mounted mine on the side of the plastic battery box. It comes with one side open. You can move the little plastic insert to make another side open, depending on how you want it oriented. I mounted so the one open side is facing down to help keep water out.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

And add a note to your towing checklist to make sure it's on while towing, otherwise you will not have an E brakes on the rig if it comes lose from your tow vehicle. Of course we all hope we never need that feature but it's the reason you don't have a factory disconnect to begin with.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Team

If you are looking for the easiest way to install the disconnect switch, install it on the frame near the frame ground connection. Purchase a short (6") battery cable with a hole in the lug on each end, from an auto parts store. The switches are waterproof so no problem there.

- Remove the TT's ground cable from the FRAME bolt.
- Connect the (6") cable to the Disconnect switch on the side toward the frame mounting bolt and connect it to the frame ground connection
- Line up the switch where you want the switch
- Pre drill the screw holes in the frame for the disconnect switch
- Mount the Disconnect Switch
- Connect the existing Negative cable from the battery to the other terminal in the disconnect switch

DONE!!!

I will take you longer to go and pick up the short battery cable than it will to install everything

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
And add a note to your towing checklist to make sure it's on while towing, otherwise you will not have an E brakes on the rig if it comes lose from your tow vehicle. Of course we all hope we never need that feature but it's the reason you don't have a factory disconnect to begin with.
I opted to not break the emergency brake switch through the battery disconnect that I installed on our new Hummingbird, one less thing to worry about. They had a separate wire to the positive side of the battery for the E-brake from the factory.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

Smile

I use a much cheaper battery switch .

I just take out the fuse by the battery box.

Just saying . . . .
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #11

Thank you!!!

Great info! Really appreciate it everyone! I'll put it on Wednesday and post a pic!

Great forum!
Old 01-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #12

Battery Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I opted to not break the emergency brake switch through the battery disconnect that I installed on our new Hummingbird, one less thing to worry about. They had a separate wire to the positive side of the battery for the E-brake from the factory.

I am looking to install the Battery switch myself and I am a little confused by other information I found on the forums saying people disconnect the Negative or install the Negative pole to the Battery switch.

Does this mean you connect the switch to the Positive Pole of the battery?

Thanks
Amorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #13

I've never used a disconnect switch and I"m curious if you route either the positive or negative cable to the disconnect, your choice?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #14

It works better to install the switch on the Neg. side. Just cut the neg cable, put the end from the battery to one post on the switch and the other end of the neg cable to the other post on the switch. It will disconnect the battery when turned off, but still give you power when plugged into your 30 amp receptacle. There is also a great Hummingbird forum on facebook, a lot of good helpful people there to.
Keep smiling.
Greg
gware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gware View Post
It will disconnect the battery when turned off, but still give you power when plugged into your 30 amp receptacle.
I think you need to be careful if you do that. First, if the disconnect is open, the battery won't charge when plugged into shore power. Second, the battery acts as a "shock absorber" in the 12 volt system when items are turned on or cycled, like the water pump or slides.

Most people would suggest NOT to run your lights and other 12 volt systems just off the converter, without the battery in the circuit.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote