Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Battery getting hot

I noticed when checking the trailer for a upcoming trip i was going to do a load check on the battery and noticed it was pretty warm if not hot to the touch. Not hot enough to pull my hand off but definitely warm. I leave the trailer plugged in to keep battery charged. I thought the trailer converter system would handle that.
Am i being paranoid or is there something i need to checkout, battery issue, 12v converter?

Thank for any help
Chuck
78spster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78spster View Post
I noticed when checking the trailer for a upcoming trip i was going to do a load check on the battery and noticed it was pretty warm if not hot to the touch. Not hot enough to pull my hand off but definitely warm. I leave the trailer plugged in to keep battery charged. I thought the trailer converter system would handle that.
Am i being paranoid or is there something i need to checkout, battery issue, 12v converter?
:
We need a little more information....

First thing unplug the shore power connection.

What year is the TT?
How old is the battery?
Do you maintain the water level in the battery?
Did you have to add water lately? In all cells or only one?
Did you ever have the battery fluids drop below the top of the cells?
Has the battery ever been totally discharged (to less than 10.5VDC)?
More than once?

Have you disconnected the battery lately? Possibly reversed the cables?
Do you have a voltage meter?
What is the voltage at the battery without shore power? With shore power?

Sounds like a battery that has gone bad (cell wise).

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

I took it off the charging system and this morning approx 12 hours latter it reads 12.15 volts. It also has one cell with the water level below the plates. A friend had a battery tester BC101 and it said replace it. It's approx 1 year old but I guess I am just lucky
Thanks for your time and analysis
78spster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
I took it off the charging system and this morning approx 12 hours latter it reads 12.15 volts. It also has one cell with the water level below the plates. A friend had a battery tester BC101 and it said replace it. It's approx 1 year old but I guess I am just lucky
For what ever reason the battery got cooked. Sounds like one or more cells got low on water and as the converter continued to try to bring the battery up to full charge, it just further boiled off the water.

Even though the battery is only 1 year old, it needs to be replaced. Batteries should be checked every 3 - 6 months if left plugged in. If the battery is good and holding a charge you should not have a problem and may need to add a little water to the cells once a year or less. secret is to check regularily.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
almost every battery has a 1 year warranty.. add some water and see if they will warranty it...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote