Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Battery is over charging

My 2014 Jayco Eagle keeps overcharging batteries when plugged into a power source. Battery gets so hot that the battery smokes - this occurs after a day of being plugged in to a power source (30 amp circuit). This happened to a brand new deep cycle battery that was just installed. Any help is appreciated.
Stu1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1234 View Post
My 2014 Jayco Eagle keeps overcharging batteries when plugged into a power source. Battery gets so hot that the battery smokes - this occurs after a day of being plugged in to a power source (30 amp circuit). This happened to a brand new deep cycle battery that was just installed. Any help is appreciated.
Have you checked the voltage at the battery when it's plugged in?
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

So everything was fine until the brand new deep cycle battery was installed? What problems were you having that led up to needing a new battery? Are you sure the "-" (negative) battery terminal is fastened to the trailer frame? Have you checked the voltage at the battery from the converter/charger? (Some out gassing is normal if the battery is being heavily charged, but you'd have to know the voltage to determine if it is excessive.)

I'm sure you'll hear from several others that will likely have more helpful comments.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #4

I keep a digital DC monitor plugged in to the cigarette lighter (television) outlet in my Jayco. When the converter is charging the battery, the level will read about 13.68 volts. When the converter changes to trickle charge mode, it will read about 13.2 volts.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I keep a digital DC monitor plugged in to the cigarette lighter (television) outlet in my Jayco. When the converter is charging the battery, the level will read about 13.68 volts. When the converter changes to trickle charge mode, it will read about 13.2 volts.
Same for me. Never seen my WFCO charger at 14,4 V bulk charge, it is either 13.6 V after using the trailer, or it goes into 13.2 V trickle charge mode after 2 days of no usage. To the OP: Use a volt meter to check the voltage, that will tell you if the converter stays in bulk charge mode all the time, which I think would be needed to actually boil the battery.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

Converter could be bad over charging the battery. As others mentions check the voltage
The stock converters wfco are junk. I plugged mine into generator and would only show charging at 13.6. When I used my solar panels I was getting 14.4. The battery was around 12.2-12.3 when I tested
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

I am assuming there wasn't a problem with the old battery. Check the battery voltage when under charge. If it meets the specs, then the battery is defective. I had this happen to me years ago. The battery got hot and boiled over. I checked the voltage and all was OK. Nevertheless, the battery store insisted it was my charging system and wouldn't warranty the battery. I left the crap battery on the counter and walked out - buying a new battery at another store. No problem after that.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Team

The only time I've seen a battery smoke, it had cells shorting out. A very bad situation.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

The stock converters are junk. Get one with the better battery charger built in. I was changing batteries every year. Changed the converter. 6 years so far and still going strong. it's worth the cost.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
Same for me. Never seen my WFCO charger at 14,4 V bulk charge, it is either 13.6 V after using the trailer, or it goes into 13.2 V trickle charge mode after 2 days of no usage. To the OP: Use a volt meter to check the voltage, that will tell you if the converter stays in bulk charge mode all the time, which I think would be needed to actually boil the battery.
And this is the very reason I removed the WFCO for a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger almost as soon as I got it. I did not wait for the warranty to expire. I know this put some items on the TT out of warranty immediately, but at least I know I have a properly functioned converter/charger now.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:14 AM   #11

You can check the battery at a good automotive repair shop. If it has a bad cell they can tell.

It could also be a bad converter. I had to replace mine, while still in warranty, for boiling water the battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, overcharging