Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Battery issues

I have a Jay Flight 19 RD and when I purchased it in 2014 I had a dual battery installed. We don't use the trailer a lot but when we do we either dry camp or, if available, hook up to shore power. At times in the winter, I go south and hook up to shore power for a month or more. When the trailer is parked at home, at times I leave the shore power plugged in although we aren't really using anything in the trailer.

It seems to me that I have gone through batteries faster than I should. I am now on my 3rd set. I am wondering if leaving the trailer plugged into shore power, especially when it is not being used, causes the batteries to over charge or perhaps shortens their life. Is there something I should be doing to make the batteries last longer ? Or, is it just a fact of life that they rarely last more than 3 years, regardless ?
ferg8555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

I leave mine plugged is 24/7. My batteries are 3 1/2 years old and still are working fine. I check the water level every months. I also live in AZ where the summer temps are pretty warm.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

I always use a battery tender when stored at home, I hate putting the extra wear on the onboard charger. My battery is starting its fifth year and still works great.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #4

Bought our 19RD in 2011 with dual Interstate batteries. I keep the electrolyte topped off and leave the trailer plugged into shore power 24/7. Just finished 2 nights dry camping, even ran the heater a bit twice just to take the chill off, and r still had battery left when we got home.

I know they're pushing their life cycle, but they've lasted 9 years so far.
tennistime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Do you check the fluid levels in each cell?

I check mine periodically, if they need to be toped off only use DISTILLED water.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg8555 View Post

It seems to me that I have gone through batteries faster than I should. I am now on my 3rd set. I am wondering if leaving the trailer plugged into shore power, especially when it is not being used, causes the batteries to over charge or perhaps shortens their life. Is there something I should be doing to make the batteries last longer ? Or, is it just a fact of life that they rarely last more than 3 years, regardless ?
Leaving it plugged in when not being used isn't the factor. What really matters is how the batteries were used between charges. If they have been run way down during camping trips, this can damage them, and effect charge/storage longevity. Also, age doesn't mean much either, it's how they were used or abused that makes the difference.

I had to replace the chassis battery on my new rig when I first brought it home. It was only 6 months old, but apparently Jayco and dealer let the battery die too many times, and it wouldn't hold a charge.

To make batteries last longer requires CLOSE monitoring of their voltage during use. The normal deep cycle battery shouldn't be run down more that 50% before being recharged. This would be about 12.2 volts. If batteries are run down further than that, or even killed a few times, this will have the biggest effect on life, not their age.

Also , there could be an issue with your charger, which is over or under charging the batteries. Putting a volt meter on them when charging will give you some clues... A digital volt meter should be the most important tool in your toolbox.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg8555 View Post
I have a Jay Flight 19 RD and when I purchased it in 2014 I had a dual battery installed. We don't use the trailer a lot but when we do we either dry camp or, if available, hook up to shore power. At times in the winter, I go south and hook up to shore power for a month or more. When the trailer is parked at home, at times I leave the shore power plugged in although we aren't really using anything in the trailer.

battery levels
Attached Thumbnails
20200529_134830.jpg   20200529_134846.jpg  
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #8

I have two battery banks on our TT. Bank 1: two 6 volt Trojan batteries. Bank 2: two 12 volt Interstate batteries that came with the trailer. Our TT is a 2016 model year. I have switches to choose between battery banks.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #9

I did a quick read and did not see anyone mention the possibility that your onboard charging system may not be working right. If it over charges the batteries it will boil them dry. Or it may do the opposite and not charge enough. There are many posts on charging voltages and how yours should work. Research and see what your system is doing with a multimeter. As mentioned, running them dead even a few times will kill the life of any battery. Boiling partially or dry will kill them to, not using distilled will shorten the life also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I did a quick read and did not see anyone mention the possibility that your onboard charging system may not be working right. If it over charges the batteries it will boil them dry. Or it may do the opposite and not charge enough. There are many posts on charging voltages and how yours should work. Research and see what your system is doing with a multimeter. As mentioned, running them dead even a few times will kill the life of any battery. Boiling partially or dry will kill them to, not using distilled will shorten the life also.
I touched on all that in my post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Leaving it plugged in when not being used isn't the factor. What really matters is how the batteries were used between charges. If they have been run way down during camping trips, this can damage them, and effect charge/storage longevity. Also, age doesn't mean much either, it's how they were used or abused that makes the difference.

To make batteries last longer requires CLOSE monitoring of their voltage during use. The normal deep cycle battery shouldn't be run down more that 50% before being recharged. This would be about 12.2 volts. If batteries are run down further than that, or even killed a few times, this will have the biggest effect on life, not their age.

Also , there could be an issue with your charger, which is over or under charging the batteries. Putting a volt meter on them when charging will give you some clues... A digital volt meter should be the most important tool in your toolbox.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote