Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
joe in calif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Posts: 457
Battery Question

I have a 2012 Jayco 29 RLDS. My Interstate battery that came with it new is not holding a charge. I always use shore power since I never dry camp. I guess when I get home and clean it up I use battery to open and close the slides to vacuum and mop the floors but that s about it. When I check the battery status on the meter in the trailer with all other power disconnected it shows 3/4 but when I open 1 slide it goes dead. I checked it with a hydrometer and it looks like 2 cells are dead. Anyway, to my point, should I go with the same battery that came out of it, Interstate SMR 24 690 amps 140 reserve, or do any of you have a better idea?
I have read some place that 3 years is about you can get from the Interstate but since this is my first time to replace a battery I have no idea.
__________________

__________________

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
xkuzme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 280
If you don't dry camp at all... Find another group 24 battery to change it with or, or you are trying to cut weight on your tongue you could always find a smaller 12 volt battery from Battery's Plus. Get a smaller SLA battery that weights 5 pounds.
__________________

__________________
...she started talking about how I never listened to her or somethin, I donno, I wasn't really paying attention...

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 781
Lots of options. A battery tender while not in use can really improve battery life.
__________________
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C 15K BTU, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,645
I have had good luck with the Exide brand.
__________________

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sulphur Springs
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I have a 2012 Jayco 29 RLDS. My Interstate battery that came with it new is not holding a charge. I always use shore power since I never dry camp. I guess when I get home and clean it up I use battery to open and close the slides to vacuum and mop the floors but that s about it. When I check the battery status on the meter in the trailer with all other power disconnected it shows 3/4 but when I open 1 slide it goes dead. I checked it with a hydrometer and it looks like 2 cells are dead. Anyway, to my point, should I go with the same battery that came out of it, Interstate SMR 24 690 amps 140 reserve, or do any of you have a better idea?
I have read some place that 3 years is about you can get from the Interstate but since this is my first time to replace a battery I have no idea.

You use your camper the same way I use mine. Every time I stay in mine, I am either on my generator or hooked to shore power. Every time I get home, it gets plugged into my shop, and it stays that way.

I hate marine/deep cycle batteries. They require too much maintenance and they don't live a long life. For these reasons and the circumstances listed above, I don't have a deep cycle battery on my camper. I've got a pair of red top Optimas.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
Joe since you don't dry camp you can get away with the smallest battery you want to put on there.. BUT you do need a battery just incase the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle going down the highway.. (emergency brakes)
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 25
I was just going to start my own post and I saw this thread. I just bought a 2016 Jayco 25BHS a few months ago. The battery that came with it wasn't too good so on a friend's advice, I upgrade to two Interstate deep cycle 6 volt batteries.

I went camping this weekend for the first time since upgrading batteries. I plugged into electricity at the RV park. There was plenty of room so I just kept my Trailer connected to my SUV. I forgot to disconnect the power cable from my SUV to the TT. But I didn't think it mattered as I was getting electricity from the RV park.

When I got to my parking spot, I put out the two slides and brought them back in, was using the water pump a little bit but the battery was dead.

Does the batteries not get charged if you're connected to your vehicle?
earlyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
joe in calif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Posts: 457
Thank for all the replies. I do not park my trailer at my house, but I disconnect the negative cable every time I park it in the RV lot. I guess guess I can look for a lighter battery to lighten up the tongue weight. I guess 3 1/2 years is about normal life for that battery.
__________________

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
joe in calif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jacinto, Calif
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Joe since you don't dry camp you can get away with the smallest battery you want to put on there.. BUT you do need a battery just incase the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle going down the highway.. (emergency brakes)
Thanks, i never thought of that
__________________

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: smithville, ont.
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I was just going to start my own post and I saw this thread. I just bought a 2016 Jayco 25BHS a few months ago. The battery that came with it wasn't too good so on a friend's advice, I upgrade to two Interstate deep cycle 6 volt batteries.

I went camping this weekend for the first time since upgrading batteries. I plugged into electricity at the RV park. There was plenty of room so I just kept my Trailer connected to my SUV. I forgot to disconnect the power cable from my SUV to the TT. But I didn't think it mattered as I was getting electricity from the RV park.

When I got to my parking spot, I put out the two slides and brought them back in, was using the water pump a little bit but the battery was dead.

Does the batteries not get charged if you're connected to your vehicle?
To make sure... You connected the new 6volts in series?
You put the positive and negative wires to the correct battery posts?
Connections are tight?

Other then that, make sure you didn't blow the reverse polarity protection fuses in the converter (if your converter has them)
Or the breaker for the charging portion of the converter is off.
__________________

__________________
2016 North Point 341RLTS
520watts of solar. Morningstar MPPT
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.