Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Battery Questions

Hi Everyone, just got out first real travel trailer a Jayfeather 25bhs 2016. Love it but noticed the battery had gone dead after about a month in storage. Now i never knew you should disconnect the battery when storing for a period of time, has anyone have some easy ways to do this time after time.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
ODH

Best thing to do is install a battery disconnect switch. The audio system and CO2/Propane alarm will drain a battery in about 2 or 3 weeks. As an interim fix you can pull the fuze for those 2 items.
ODH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #3

Just pull the master fuse at the battery much easier than putting in a disconnect switch.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

How tough are these disconnects to install. I have seen a few different models on amazon. Also where is the master fuse by the battery, I have never seen it . Thanks for the help everyone
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Battery fail?

Just along the lines of a Battery Question. We purchased our BH26 (2017) at the beginning of June. We've been on two trips and killed the battery twice. The first trip was 1 night! We assumed the issue was that the battery really didn't have a full charge. The second trip was 4 nights. Within 24 hours the battery was dead again. We used the electric jack, awning open, lights minimally (we didn't even have the outside lights on at night), only turned on the water pump when needed and the radio was on for about 2 hours. Does that seem right? Even with the Carbon Monoxide detector on?

When the battery would get really low, we'd plug into one of our vehicles for 45 minutes to an hour. The charge would show full after unplugging from the car but within minutes would fall down to 3/4. And forget about if we actually use the charging station to juice up a phone. That killed the battery almost immediately. Do I expect too much from my battery?
GravesFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesFamily View Post
Just along the lines of a Battery Question. We purchased our BH26 (2017) at the beginning of June. We've been on two trips and killed the battery twice. The first trip was 1 night! We assumed the issue was that the battery really didn't have a full charge. The second trip was 4 nights. Within 24 hours the battery was dead again. We used the electric jack, awning open, lights minimally (we didn't even have the outside lights on at night), only turned on the water pump when needed and the radio was on for about 2 hours. Does that seem right? Even with the Carbon Monoxide detector on?

When the battery would get really low, we'd plug into one of our vehicles for 45 minutes to an hour. The charge would show full after unplugging from the car but within minutes would fall down to 3/4. And forget about if we actually use the charging station to juice up a phone. That killed the battery almost immediately. Do I expect too much from my battery?

To start, the oem battery that the dealer supplied with the new TT typically has only minimal power reserve and replacing it with a good quality deep cycle or a pair of 6v batteries will greatly extend your power life. You might should also verify that your tow vehicle is supplying power to the onboard charger via the trailer plug. Many vehicles come without the fuse for that circuit and you need to purchase one at any auto supply store.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Just along the lines of a Battery Question. We purchased our BH26 (2017) at the beginning of June. We've been on two trips and killed the battery twice.
The first question is how is your TT stored? Is it plugged into 110VAC while not being used? If not, do you disconnect your battery when in storage? Are you relying on the TV to charge or top off your battery while you travel to your CG? How far down was your battery drained?
The first trip was 1 night! We assumed the issue was that the battery really didn't have a full charge. The second trip was 4 nights. Within 24 hours the battery was dead again. We used the electric jack, awning open, (these 2 items use a lot of amps, do you leave the TT plugged into the TT when you use these items it will let your batteries last a little longer), lights minimally (we didn't even have the outside lights on at night), only turned on the water pump when needed and the radio was on for about 2 hours. (depending on the volume, the radio can use 5 amps, so if you use it for 2 hours that is 10 Amp hours of your 40Ah (approx. available).
Does that seem right? Even with the Carbon Monoxide detector on?

If you have a 85Ah battery you only can use 1/2 of the Ah, so you only have about 40Ah to use. The radio could have used 1/4 of the batteries power, the jacks and awning will account for additional Ah usage.. so you may only have 20Ah for lights (20Ah/8hrs night and sleeptime = 2.5Amps an hour left), water pump (another battery killer) or ceiling exhaust fan(s), stove light/fan.... so I would have to say that you are probably expecting too much from 40Ah.

The 45 minute charge from the TT is going to be minimal.

If you are referring to the battery meter inside the TT, it is about as accurate as the water tank(s) level after about 3-6 months of use, they are ALL useless.

A few recommendations:
- Get a Digital Display Voltage meter, it is your best friend and when your battery reaches 12.0 volts, turn everything off.
- Check your water level (replace with Distilled water only)
- You can not depend on your TV to charge your battery to a full charge.
- You will need to make sure your TT is plugged into shore power 3 days prior to your outing
- Install a battery disconnect switch or pull the main 30 amp fuse when not using TT and not connected to shore-power

What a lot of TT owners do not realize that your NEW battery starts out with what ever your battery rating is (say 85Ah), each time you discharge the battery the batteries Ah's are affected, not by very much, unless you drop it down to 10.5 VDC which is a DEAD 12 volt battery.

If you want to see the ACTUAL results of a battery test (using a 15Amp dump resister) I have one on the RVing with SOLAR Social Group. Just scroll down to the Subject: The Results are in.
If your battery voltage has dropped to 10.5Volts or lower your batteries life cycle will be affected.. If it was totally drained the ability to hold a charge may have been affected.

Suggestions: It may be beneficial to pick up a small generator to help charge your batteries (unless you are like me and hate the noise, which made it easy to decide to go with SOLAR). SOLAR is not for everyone and if you always park under trees and do not have access to a lot of sunshine it would not benefit you.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

I may eventually install a battery disconnect, but in the meantime, I just unhook the negative white wire from the battery and tuck it down inside the battery box after every camp out. Its takes about 30 seconds from start to finish.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Does that seem right? Even with the Carbon Monoxide detector on?
From my own quite limited experience, that seems a little off, though not terribly so. We have a new X213, and the dealer instaled two 85Ah deep cycle 12V batteries. Without really trying (that is, plenty of lights, a bit of furnace at night, water as needed, etc), we have no problem making it two nights. Not sure how it would be on the third night, but on one trip it was reading 1/3 before we headed home, and two weeks later when I watched again it was 2/3 before we left.

I am eventually going to go 6V, but 90% of our camping trips are two nights, so it wouldn't really buy me a lot right now. I carry a generator just in case, but haven't been forced to use it yet.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Battery switch

I installed a Marine battery switch today on my golf batteries - trust me - easy peasy. I left the orange power leas alone cause I was told it is for the electric brakes...
Attached Thumbnails
Golf Batterries with Switch.jpg  
Danjo61 is offline   Reply With Quote