Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Battery Space Limited...Other Options?

I've got a 2010 Jayco Jay Feather 242 and am looking into upgrading batteries. The ones that came with it look to be of two different ages, and am just not getting the life out of them I'd like. Ideally I'd like to go with two 6v batteries from Costco, but my space is extremely limited. As you can see, with the standard battery boxes, I can hardly even fit the normal group 24 battery. I actually lost the lids because they would not fit on since the curve of the trailer takes up a ton of space. Any other options here? Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_150831.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	8363
bfisher88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I was able to get two 6V Deep Cycle batteries in my existing '05' Eagle A-frame space (25 1/2"), it's snug, but works fine.

Here is my installation: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ate+deep+cycle

If you put the battery box lids on opposite each other, will that give you a little more room? Have you checked into the single battery boxes that hold two batteries, they might not be as tall with the lid on?

Would this work: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...Dual-Batteries

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I was able to get two 6V Deep Cycle batteries in my existing '05' Eagle A-frame space (25 1/2"), it's snug, but works fine.

If you put the battery box lids on opposite each other, will that give you a little more room? Have you checked into the single battery boxes that hold two batteries, they might not be as tall with the lid on?

Bob
Thank Bob, very helpful. Looks like the site you got them from is no longer up? Any idea on what it's called or the product ID or something? May work perfectly (besides having to rework the support for the extra width). I'm not sure the aluminum box would fit into the tight space I have so Ill have to do some measuring.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

Bob
Thanks Bob. That dual box may just do thr trick. Going to measure the space today to see if it is something that I could pull off. Also need tocheck on the available height that the 6v batteries need to fit in. Thanks for the links!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

Took some measurements and I only have 9.5 inches from the rear of the battery box until it hits the diamond plate on the RV (which seems ridiculous). Now I have to decide whether to come up with some sort of mount on top of the frame and not into the frame to fit a new box. Any ideas on how to mount something on the supports for a new base?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Hellow bfisher,

I'm glad you posted this. I have a 2011 jay feather28u. The frame on our trailer is similar to yours by the look of things. In order to get the lid on our battery box box I tip the battery forward, push the lid on, and sit the battery back down. By cutting the raised portion of the front angle iron and providing support closer to your propane tanks I think you might get two 6volt batteries to fit in the space. The room I have for the front support bracket before the snap up brackets come into play is 22 inches.the length of one interstate 6 volt is 10 3/8 inches. The width of the 6 volt is 7 3/16 inches. By my estimates with the battery moved that much forward it would give you enough room for the 11. 7/16 inch height of the battery. Like you I had between 9 1/2 to 10 inches of room before my group 27 hit the diamond plate. Hope this helps.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

Ah that is a great idea. What worries me is I'll need to have a base put in since I'll have to slide the battery box forward a few inches and loses the space on the rear L bracket. My goal is to fit this box in there for two 6v, http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html , So Ill need 13 inches vertically to fit it in. May get an 1/8in metal sheet and cut it to form to go out a few more inches than where I cut off the L bracket? Thanks for that suggestion!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

If you want the covers, you might do some customizing to the lids with a dremel and a cutoff wheel. Trimming off a little of the overhang where the cables are attached might get you a little more wiggle room. I've had issues with batteries purchased at big box stores like Costco, Sams, or WW. Find a supplier who carries legitimate golf cart batteries. You might pay more up front, but they will keep you running longer into that extended stay in the woods. Not an issue for me anymore with my Honda, but still think the best batteries are well worth the investment.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

For some reason my last post was never posted. I think removing the front pillar and creating some sort of base on the existing so that I can slide the battery box forward a few inches will work best. Thanks for the idea!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

Wow, that's tight. I looked at several pictures of jay feather 242's and it looks challenging.

On my 26Bh, I ditched the standard 12v and replaced with a pair of 6v by having a local welder install a couple pieces of angle iron to the top of the A frame, but it looks I have more room than you?

I didn't have enough width to fit the batteries on the stock angle iron supports that are located under A frame like yours. There was a gas line in the way, and the existing angle iron looked a little wimpy for a pair of heavier batteries.

I was surprised that the welder did the job for only $45.00 (with me priming and painting). If you can make it fit on top of the frame that would solve it...but looks pretty skinny.

The dual 6v setup is a very worthwhile upgrade. If I didn't have room on the A-frame, even with some innovative welding, I suppose I would look at putting the batteries in the forward pass through. Maybe a piece of 3/4" ply to form a base and spread the load over a wider area, and to provide solid tie-downs for the batteries. There's the issue of having batteries in the living area, and I don't have the final answer on that. However, my 28 foot sailboat has a pair of 6v's right under the settee in the main cabin. And, ditto for just about every boat in the marina.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote