Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Battery tender

2017 Jayco 19rb. Looking for a battery tender, I have two six volt batteries hooked in series, 12v 240ah, someone told me I need a tender that does 240ah in order to work properly, is this true? if so can you recommend one?
jsaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Team

We only use one 12 volt battery, but I have a Battery Tender brand for the M/C and TT batteries on the off season. They have expanded their product line considerably since we bought ours. It looks like you can now get a few of them that are 6v/12v selectable, in various amperages.

https://www.batterytender.com/battery-chargers

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaylor View Post
2017 Jayco 19rb. Looking for a battery tender, I have two six volt batteries hooked in series, 12v 240ah, someone told me I need a tender that does 240ah in order to work properly, is this true? if so can you recommend one?
That is not true. Most battery tinder (brand name) battery minder (brand name) are good for up to 4 batteries. I have several brands...this is my favorite and will work for you...link below:

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer...f-a2c47c48c32f

another good option:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...s%2C153&sr=8-8

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #4

I have been very pleased with my NOCO GENIUS10. It was highly rated and I would give it 5 stars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3QT226...roduct_details
Woollymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollymonster View Post
I have been very pleased with my NOCO GENIUS10. It was highly rated and I would give it 5 stars.

That really has a lot of nice looking functions. The clamps look like jumper cables and I would look for better battery connectors.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
That really has a lot of nice looking functions. The clamps look like jumper cables and I would look for better battery connectors.
I would like to install connectors outside of the battery box so I donít have to remove the box top every time.

I also need a battery disconnect. My trailer does not have one. The battery goes dead between trips even if all the breakers are off.

Also need to upgrade to a good AGM battery.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #7

+1 for the Noco Genius chargers. I have a marine-grade 3-bank charger installed in my boat, and a single bank installed in the passenger side firewall of my old Jeep. Both vehicles are seldom used, and the Nocos keep all the batteries in tip-top shape while they sit.

Quote:
I would like to install connectors outside of the battery box so I donít have to remove the box top every time.

I also need a battery disconnect. My trailer does not have one. The battery goes dead between trips even if all the breakers are off.

Also need to upgrade to a good AGM battery.
Yes, you should install a disconnect if you're going to leave the battery on the trailer. I always removed mine and put it in the garage on a Battery Tender (brand), but it was in "public" storage and I was afraid it would grow legs. So I never had one on my trailer.

Turning off your breakers will not help save your battery (breakers on 120V system, battery feeds 12V system). Some items like CO detectors and smoke alarms are "hard wired" and cannot be shut off unless one of the battery terminals is disconnected (hence the recommended cut-off switch at/near the battery terminal). There may be other "parasitic draws" on the 12V system, and the most efficient way to eliminate them is with a battery disconnect.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1 for the Noco Genius chargers. I have a marine-grade 3-bank charger installed in my boat, and a single bank installed in the passenger side firewall of my old Jeep. Both vehicles are seldom used, and the Nocos keep all the batteries in tip-top shape while they sit.

Yes, you should install a disconnect if you're going to leave the battery on the trailer. I always removed mine and put it in the garage on a Battery Tender (brand), but it was in "public" storage and I was afraid it would grow legs. So I never had one on my trailer.

Turning off your breakers will not help save your battery (breakers on 120V system, battery feeds 12V system). Some items like CO detectors and smoke alarms are "hard wired" and cannot be shut off unless one of the battery terminals is disconnected (hence the recommended cut-off switch at/near the battery terminal). There may be other "parasitic draws" on the 12V system, and the most efficient way to eliminate them is with a battery disconnect.
Rodger that. Mine is in public storage but, the place is gated and on video surveillance. I keep a hitch lock on and of course, all the door/hatches locked. I just leave the battery with the tender hooked up. We have 15 amp service to each spot.

There are a lot of really high dollar class A's, boats, etc. in there. A lot of them just use their factory electrical cord with a 15 amp adapter. So far, no issues.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:06 AM   #9

I think the best way to install a disconnect switch is to choose the negative side of the battery that leads to the trailer. By that, I mean that if in series, use the down stream battery negative. If in parallel, use the one that has grounds to the trailer. If there are extra ground cables on the negative post, you can make them common by attaching them together on a bolt on the tongue. Then you can run a cable between that common ground to the switch and to the battery post.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #10

One more thing, make sure to switch the battery disconnect on when towing to enable the breakaway brake cable and any other battery operated accessories. If you charge the battery with the converter while on shore power, the disconnect switch must be switched to "on."
Old 11-28-2023, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
You can get all kinds of different connectors that clip into the system instead of the alligator clips.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7...rkle_lsi4d_cta

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaylor View Post
Put a solar panel on the roof and get a cheap charge controller. It will keep itself charged whenever you park it.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Put a solar panel on the roof and get a cheap charge controller. It will keep itself charged whenever you park it.

....Until it snows...
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #14

I would highly recommend a minder that has a desulfurization mode, these pulse the battery while charging and has the ability to remove some of the sulfur that accumulates on the cell plates and do a bit of repair to the cells. I have the one listed below, it brought back my batteries (two 6 volt in series) from only taking a 75-80% to 100% charge. I also listed a pic that shows charge rate to voltage, just double the voltage if you are reading the two 6 volt batteries together or a 12 volt

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097D397M6...roduct_details

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	91200
Old 12-02-2023, 07:17 PM   #15

I you have enough to run a charger, just plug the trailer in. Onboard charger should keep it just fine.

At least it has on ours for the last 40+ years.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:44 AM   #16

Use a 12v Smart charger will keep the batteries up all winter.Hooks up to main posts …..tenders won’t be enough you would need 3 of em and you have separate the battery connections
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:

+1 I've had a couple of these for a few years to handle all the small equipment batteries as well as the cars, trucks etc. Lithium in the motorcycles are also services by this product. Can't say enough good about it.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:35 PM   #18

Dumb question! Unless you are taking the battery or batteries out and putting them somewhere else, if they are still in the RV, why wouldn't you just plug the rv into a 15a receptacle? A converter is a way better battery charger than those $20 to $40 battery minders! That is what converters are made for.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Dumb question! Unless you are taking the battery or batteries out and putting them somewhere else, if they are still in the RV, why wouldn't you just plug the rv into a 15a receptacle? A converter is a way better battery charger than those $20 to $40 battery minders! That is what converters are made for.
That is what I do and I very rarely need to add water. (AGMs)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
That is what I do and I very rarely need to add water. (AGMs)
Missouri or Colorado?
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote