Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Battery wiring connection question.

Hello,

Recently purchased used TT - 2005 29BHS.

Just noticed the terminals have been cut off the battery cables.

I assume the last owner had his battery stolen but failed to mention it.

There is a fat white, fat green and smaller orange / black wire.

I could not find a hook up diagram in my owner's manual.

Can someone tell me the correct way to connect these wires to my new battery?

Thanks
Chase455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Hi -- can you post a picture of your terminals? Generally, Jayco used the white wire for the ground/negative terminal and a black wire for the hot/positive terminal. In your case, I believe the green and orange/black wires go to the hot/positive terminal, but seeing the terminals would confirm. Try to determine if the white wire attaches to the trailer frame. If you have and underbelly cover you won't be able to determine by simply looking under the trailer. You'll need to remove the faceplate on the junction box, which is mounted on the front of the frame (ie, just behind the LP tanks). After taking off the faceplate, see if the white wire is attached to the frame; the white wire may have a lug end that is attached to a screw, which in turn is affixed to the frame. If so, you'll know that the white wire is ground/negative. By process of elimination, your green wire is hot/positive, and the orange/black wire is for your brake-away switch (which goes to the positive terminal).
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

TT is in storage otherwise I would look for you. If I recall, one wire goes to the electric brake module, for the breakaway system that is located on the tongue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

I had some time to further investigate your wiring situation for your model year. By re-examining your terminals, I believe you will see a (1) a white wire; (2) a green wire with an in-line fuse (where the green wire goes through a green, rectangular plastic enclosure) having at least one black wire attached to the end of the green wire; and (3) the orange-black wire. The white wire attaches to the negative terminal. The green and orange-black wires attach to the positive terminal.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Hello WIBadger,

You described my wiring exactly.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Always do a physical look see on the battery case and find the word "NEG" or the symbol "-" and this will identify which terminal on your battery case is the NEGATIVE frame ground terminal. The negative terminal cable always goes to the frame ground connection which should be very close to the battery install location.

These days it is hard to follow always having these terminals in the same spot when you change out batteries. The different company and even the same comp[any may have the terminals at different locations for different years.

So easy to get them installed in REVERSE POLARITY order.

I do alot of battery cable projects here it seems so I ended up getting one of those 8-ton hand HYDRAULIC crimper tool kits that comes with all of the various ring terminal DIES for all of the wire sizes. I use ANCOR battery cables and ring terminals from ebay sources. The 8-ton hydraulic hand crimper sells for around $60 ebay/amazon/harber freight etc...
Click image for larger version

Name:	!BvFw2pQCWk~$(KGrHqN,!gsEv1sfRRvfBMDDwU,yOQ~~_3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7540 Click image for larger version

Name:	48434XL__55900.1366152801.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	7541 Name:  ANC242276.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  16.4 KB

It is VERY IMPORTANT to have good SOLID crimped on ring terminals especially on the heavy current carrying battery terminals.

Just my thoughts...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #7

Hay thanks just browsing will save the info from WIbadger thats my campers wiring also just incase keep a folder of alll the great info I find HERE !
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #8

This info is extremely helpful for my challenge as well so thank you. I want to see if anyone can add more.

I just put both batteries back into my 31BHS after having them on a maintenancer for several months. I connect the wires just as they were taken off but once the wing nuts are tightened the wire start to heat up and fry. It immediately blew the fuse so I am hoping nothing else was affected but what could cause that? My first thought is a short somewhere but when I took the batteries out nothing was a miss.

Thanks for everyone's time
bubba1170 is offline   Reply With Quote