Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #21

I use a round charcoal grill from home depot. It is built heavy like a real BBQ. I'm all hardwood and charcoal at home too. I have a couple of big homemade cookers that I could cook for 50 or more ppl with.

If you can run a charcoal grill properly there is no comparison. Gas or electric can be a little more convenient, but not enough for me to drop $200 plus

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #22

I have been running the Camp Chef 90Pro for about 9 years and love the performance of it. I use their 2 burner delux grill box and the 2 burner griddle and the covers all my cooking needs from doing a reheat to baking pizza.

Pro 90 Triple Burner Stove
Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post
I use a round charcoal grill from home depot. It is built heavy like a real BBQ. I'm all hardwood and charcoal at home too. I have a couple of big homemade cookers that I could cook for 50 or more ppl with.

If you can run a charcoal grill properly there is no comparison. Gas or electric can be a little more convenient, but not enough for me to drop $200 plus
Yup!..I agree cooking with charcoal or hardwood seems to make the food taste different??.. but kids don't really care and when everyone is hungry (I'm just as guilty) and want to eat sooner than later like "now", that type of cooking is definitely not an option. Fire up the instant gas Q and hungry mouths are fed. Then I can relax with a cold one LOL!
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpi7800 View Post
I have been running the Camp Chef 90Pro for about 9 years and love the performance of it. I use their 2 burner delux grill box and the 2 burner griddle and the covers all my cooking needs from doing a reheat to baking pizza.

Pro 90 Triple Burner Stove
After having tried just about everything out there over the years... it is all about your storage capability and budget. No Doubt the Camp Chef line is Top-Notch in quality and performance -and the price reflects that too. We have the BigGas Grill that has the BBQ Box and a big griddle - or three burners.

If you are tight on storage space - opt for the two burner model.

It will be the last grill you will ever need or want.
http://www.campchef.com/stoves/16-co...ner-stove.html
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd View Post

100% agree. I BBQ or grill 95% over charcoal and/or red oak. That said I do keep a Weber Q200 in my TT and that gets used for quick cooks like burgers or chicken breasts when camping. If we are going for a week+ trip I pack a open pit BBQ as well.

IMO very little is better than medium rare tri-tip cooked over red oak. I travel the country frequently for work, I can absolutely appreciate a good brisket, but I have real sympathy for all of you that don't have tri-tip readily available.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
100% agree. I BBQ or grill 95% over charcoal and/or red oak. That said I do keep a Weber Q200 in my TT and that gets used for quick cooks like burgers or chicken breasts when camping. If we are going for a week+ trip I pack a open pit BBQ as well.

IMO very little is better than medium rare tri-tip cooked over red oak. I travel the country frequently for work, I can absolutely appreciate a good brisket, but I have real sympathy for all of you that don't have tri-tip readily available.
There is no argument about cooking over wood coals... and each has their own preference about what kind of wood they like... I can say I have never had anything cooked over red-oak, but will try it (when I can come across some)

As for Tri-Tip. If you can't find it at the local grocery store... look for "Bottom Sirloin". Tri-Tip is a "localized" name for that cut of meat, and is not used in certain parts of the country. Like a Delmonico Steak can be a different cut of meat, depending on WHERE you are.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote