Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #1

Bed lift for 264BHW issues

Hello all,

I installed a hatch lift brand bed lift on my queen bed. I got the correct size for my bed and installed it exactly as instructed. It worked well and quite smoothly.

During my last trip I could not get the bed to completely close. The bed top had somehow shifted forward and the frame was hitting the front of the bed side. What happened was the board that is mounted to the front of the trailer that has the hinge screwed in it pulled out of the camper on one side! That board is only being held by 3 screws and one of them is barely in the board.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is a bed lift one of those do not attempt on this model things? I hope the dealer will repair it under warranty.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

We installed below early last year and has worked perfectly, bit stiff to push bed down but DW has no problem and in always getting or putting "stuff" under bed.

10MM Ball Stud Bracket for Gas Spring/Prop/Strut (2 Pack)
SUSPA® 100 LB Gas Spring/Prop/Strut/Shock (set of 2) C16-08054

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:03 AM   #3

I had exactly the same issue, AND one corner of the bed box came apart (it must have been a hung-over morning shift at the factory, they missed the pine frame member with the only screw they used). I ended up turning the tubes around the other way so they'd push the frame towards the front, not pull it away, problem solved.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and advice. I think I'll flip mine around too. Honestly I just don't know if it's built heavy enough to handle the pressure. I thought about a folding prop rod or something. Pretty dissapointing
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

I've been considering this for my trailer. The bed is far too heavy for my wife to lift and it's not an easy lift for anyone. I installed a prop bar on mine to hold it open. Used a 1x1 light wood pole with a pin mount bracket about 12" from the foot of the bed on the center support that runs the length of the bed. It goes from there to the front of the floor where the under bed framing meets the floor. I can send a picture if my description is confusing. It works fine but I still have to hold the bed up while I put the support pole in place - a bit tricky and sure I will drop it on my head at some point. I was considering adding the lift supports that make it easy to lift and lower but sounds like they put a lot of strain on the framing that it may not be designed to handle?

I did put a thin panel across the storage bin area to separate the bed storage from the outside storage. My wife didn't want all of my "outside stuff" bouncing around and perhaps getting mixed in with the "inside stuff" that she wants to put under the bed. Made sense to me and something that I would have considered part of the standard build. Panel and vertical wood supports probably add 3lbs to the trailer and provide a bit more support for the bed to the floor in the middle - which can't hurt.

Also - I am learning the acronyms here but still don't know what DW stands for???
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
BCK

DW = Dear Wife
DH = Dear Husband
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

OH!!! That's funny - I thought the 'D' stood for something else :-).

I haven't looked - is there a sticky post somewhere with common acronyms?
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
BCK

Ha ha! There are times...
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #9

For what it's worth, when you turn the lifts the other way, they work fine since they push the bed TOWARDS the front wall. I wonder if I used heavier lifts than I needed to, and had to play around with the mounting locations, but it's all good now. At least it stays open quite positively till you close it!
I'm considering that pass-through partition mod, but after I finish the new battery/storage box mod I'm currently working on.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #10

Is there a link or part number for the bed hatch lift I can look at to get started? Not sure what options, sizes etc they come in.

thx
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 AM   #11

What I've done...

Please note that I'm not entirely sure these are the best ones to use; I MAY have over-engineered this.
Gas Props:
Amazon.com: Suspa C16-08054 C1608054 20" Gas Prop, Quantity (2), Force is 100 Lbs Per Prop and Force Per Set is 200 Lbs, Camper Rear Window, Tonneau Cover Lift Supports, Window Lift Support, Struts: Automotive
Ball end stud brakets (any 10mm ball end will work fine):
Bed Box end:
Amazon.com: 10MM Ball Stud Bracket for Gas Spring/Prop/Strut (2 Pack): Automotive
Bed Platform end:
Amazon.com: JR Products BR-1020 10mm Flat Gas Spring Mounting Bracket: Automotive
Good luck, let us all know if you try a lighter-duty support... I'm thinking it will work a little better, but don't have time/energy to fool with it.
Onwards!! LOL. Going FullTime in about a month, so the clock is ticking very very loudly.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
OH!!! That's funny - I thought the 'D' stood for something else :-).

I haven't looked - is there a sticky post somewhere with common acronyms?
The very first thread at the very top of the main forum page has the acronyms: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...nyms-2676.html

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #13

Again thanks all for sharing your experience with this.

I got the reccommended lift for the queen bed so I tthink I have the correct one. I think reversing the gas cylinders as many suggested will work.

I also thought about the partition that was suggested which would add some structure. I just don't want to mess up any warranty stuff. Judging from all the threads I read, the warranty is rather subjective so I may just go ahead and do it.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #14

Quick update:

The dealer repaired bed under warranty. None of the screws were in the studs! They actually shifted the bed over about an inch. The gas shock was rubbing one side and I had to re drill the mount to move everything over. Everything seems OK now. It sure was a heck of a hassle just to lift a freaking bed ��
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #15

I have a 267 BHS with no struts or anything under the master. I saw them added to the next model year and now am looking for a picture or measurements to install the struts. Does anyone's bed have these struts and can you send me a picture or two?
Cecil1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil1776 View Post
I have a 267 BHS with no struts or anything under the master. I saw them added to the next model year and now am looking for a picture or measurements to install the struts. Does anyone's bed have these struts and can you send me a picture or two?

I purchased the individual pieces from our dealer and added lifts to our 267bhs bed. I can get you some pics, but will be a few days. We are currently using our camper as a guest house. I think they are leaving Subday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #17

We just purchased the parts from Amazon and are going to attempt installation soon so I am interested in pictures too.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Bed lift for 264BHW issues

Hopefully these help. I just guesstimated when I did the install as I didn't really have anything for reference. If I remember correctly i mounted the bottom mount where I wanted it, propped the hatch open to where I wanted it, and just figured out from there where the top mount needed to go. I put a piece of 1x across to give the vertical 1x2 a bit more rigidity. I can get measurements if desired. I forgot about it until a few minutes ago and wanted to get pics posted. Can get measurements when I get home tomorrow, just let me know if they are wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #19

We took a different route. I pulled all the paneling off under the bed and stained the pine to match the floor. (Actually I threw away the 2x2 and replaced with 2x4, I am a big guy). My DW found bins that fit end to end under the bed.

I took the front panel and used it to block off at the head of the bed to the outside storage is straight across.

The bed is much more sturdy and we like the open access to the stuff under the bed.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvdaJayco View Post
We took a different route. I pulled all the paneling off under the bed and stained the pine to match the floor. (Actually I threw away the 2x2 and replaced with 2x4, I am a big guy). My DW found bins that fit end to end under the bed.
That is a GREAT idea! I wish I would have thought about that before we started the lift installation process.