Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

bed support

We have a jay flight 23rb and when we camp we have noticed that while sleeping in the bed we have been waking with stiff backs. once we were home i removed the mattress and found that the underlying plywood was only 1/4 inch. when i layed down in the middle it bowed about 1 inch. I would like to strengthen the base to eliminate the dip in the middle. I was thinking of just over laying the 1/4 inch plywood with either 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. Any thoughts or concerns please advise.
tbear711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Odds are, the mattress itself distributes your load to where the plywood doesn't deflect as much, and you aren't sleeping in the sitting position, so your weight is spread out over a much greater area, again reducing the amount of sag in the plywood.

My money is just on a crappy mattress. Mine had a depression in the mattress where I laid at night with just 2 weeks of usage. I'm in the process of getting a cash out warranty claim from Jayco as we were on vacation and I had to replace it on the fly.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

thanks for the info. The mattress is a good one and when I checked the depression i was laying down.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

I reinforced mine with 2 x 2s to spread out the weight.

I then purchased a Zinus 10 inch memory foam mattress and tossed the cheapo out.

The bottom of the bed hangs out about 6 inches so I reinforced the bottom edge and we wrapped the edge with leather look vinyl leftover from another project.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear711 View Post
thanks for the info. The mattress is a good one and when I checked the depression i was laying down.
You did say layed, and I read sat... sorry about that.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Our bed broke the first night we used it (and we’re slim folks.) I braced the middle with an insulated wall and cedar plywood, and the front with bracing on hinges. It stays vertical when you lift the bed. All solid now.
Attached Thumbnails
893CF4FC-1106-4DDF-ABB4-0B187F9C8283.jpg   2163136D-C071-4EB9-8C5F-067753BD62B9.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

I built a similar center support wall and reinforced with additional 2x2's, but your cedar plywood wall is beautiful. Nice work! Does the Cedar plywood still have a cedar wood scent or was that processed out of the plywood? I would consider such an overlay for the scent.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #8

Ours broke before we even got to use it. I did what you suggested. Put another layer of plywood over the first layer. It has been fine. I can't believe Jayco used 1/4 on the bed.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

We are having the same issue. I am in the process of doing the same update as LuckyDuck. I notice in the pictures that the filler pieces next to the head of the bed are barley hanging on as well. I am going to try an add some additional support for them as well. I like the ceder plywood.

We have been struggling on where to keep the close hamper. We have a 29RKS. It has a lot of storage every where but a place for the hamper. My thought is to add a support header to the end of the bed and cut open the end platform so the hamper can slide under the bed with raising the mattress. I will take pics and then have to learn how to post them.

cheers!
OCBray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I reinforced mine with 2 x 2s to spread out the weight.

I then purchased a Zinus 10 inch memory foam mattress and tossed the cheapo out.

The bottom of the bed hangs out about 6 inches so I reinforced the bottom edge and we wrapped the edge with leather look vinyl leftover from another project.

X2 on the 2x2's no need to add extra weight to the trailer.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #11

We keep our hamper in the closet of our 195RB. I would like to add a door to the bed in front and a second to the side of the seat near the door. That would add easy access to both. Our new Zinus memory foam mattress is very heavy and the lifters are not up to the job.

If anyone has done either please post a picture. Trying to convince the spouse it is practical and not ugly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

I did something very similar yet slightly different in my 33RBTS because I didn't like the sag when laying on the bed. I took 2x2 stringers and ran them top and bottom the full width of the trailer and screwed them into the existing supports. I ran the top board just under where they didn't interfere with the hinges. Then I put 3 vertical 2x2 supports across the openings in the middle. I then took a piece of paneling and covered the added 2x2s from the storage locker side so the storage area was flush and I wasn't catching storage containers on the boards. I could finish out the under bed storage side also, but as I only store occasionally used items in there I wasn't worried about it. Now the two storage areas are separated and our bed doesn't sag anymore.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBray View Post
We are having the same issue. I am in the process of doing the same update as LuckyDuck. I notice in the pictures that the filler pieces next to the head of the bed are barley hanging on as well. I am going to try an add some additional support for them as well. I like the ceder plywood.

We have been struggling on where to keep the close hamper. We have a 29RKS. It has a lot of storage every where but a place for the hamper. My thought is to add a support header to the end of the bed and cut open the end platform so the hamper can slide under the bed with raising the mattress. I will take pics and then have to learn how to post them.

cheers!
Yes, the filler strips were just attached with small staples. They are just cosmetic, but looked bad pulling out. After reinforcing the bed frame I used small screws to attach them right. And yes, the cedar plywood still has the aroma. Great for under-bed storage of blankets, sweaters etc. I also put a 2X2 crosswise at the end of the bed, screwed into the ends of the supports that run lengthwise for more rigidity when lifting the bed.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Yes, the filler strips were just attached with small staples. They are just cosmetic, but looked bad pulling out. After reinforcing the bed frame I used small screws to attach them right. And yes, the cedar plywood still has the aroma. Great for under-bed storage of blankets, sweaters etc. I also put a 2X2 crosswise at the end of the bed, screwed into the ends of the supports that run lengthwise for more rigidity when lifting the bed.
It is nice to have a wall between the clean storage and the junk that is accessed with the side hatch.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #15

Ours broke first nigh on our new 2018 camper the screws ripped through the plywood that held the 2x2 supports.

I bought screws with large heads and used two washers on each screw one larger than the other. So there is now about a quarter sized area that has to pull through the plywood. I replaced some of the factory screws with this setup and added probably 12 more screws.

Hopefully that’s enough to hold it together.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #16

Bed Support

We have a 23RB and had the same experience. We put up the additional wall to close of the passthrough storage area and that helped but was still not satisfactory. I have acid reflux so I needed a 4" incline from the head to the foot of the bed so I built a wedge out of 1/4" plywood and 1x4 pine boards.I then attached that to the existing flimsy plywood surface. Made for a very solid bed platform. That along with a new gel foam mattress and I sleep better in the trailer than I do in my house. The link below is to my album of modifications and it has a couple of pictures. If you want more detail just send me a private message.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1578.html
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #17

I just finish doing what you did to improve bed support. Thank you very much it works Kiel a charm
Old 08-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
x2 on the Zinus. We love ours, and have transferred it from our previous camper, and now we also have one at home.
gothsqwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #19

Lightbulb try a bed spring system

We got our new Hummingbird with a 'residential' Simmons mattress.. ok it is awful - however with a spring system underneath it, like a new experience and we get great sleep on it!

This is not a commercial however we saw a froli system on a T@B video and ordered it - really makes a huge difference. $300 well spent - nothing to screw into the plywood because it floats. We'll be taking the system with us when we (inevitably) upgrade to a Jayflight or whatever comes next

Rob & Lynda
Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
tv: 2015 Chevy Tahoe LS
Finding our joy daily in camping, wine, golf, NASCAR and state parks!
njhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #20

We finally wrapped up our bed modifications. We now have a place to put our hamper and access to the under the bed storage without lifting the bed.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1534091949
Attached Thumbnails
Bed modification.JPG  
OCBray is offline   Reply With Quote