Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 05:31 PM   #1

Question Bedlift for Jay Flight Baja 183RB

Hello. Looking for advice to make our queen bed easier to lift, and use the storage area underneath.

Looked at various options, but not sure which would work.

Was interested in the Hatchlift product line. It seems that their configuration won't work due to the "T-shape" of the supports under the platform.

Any advice would be welcomed. I simply would like to be able to lift the bed with a bit of help, and be able to prop it open while organizing storage.

Thank you in advance!!

Anne
RV Newbie 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:28 PM   #2

I put two lifts in for my queen. Then we got a Zinus that ways maybe 40 pounds and wished I got heavier ones. I reinforced the bed so the lifts won't break it. Then reinforced the sides when the screws pulled out.

I tossed the screws and installed bolts and with washers.
Next will be a power lift in the middle to take out the strain and hold them up so the bed won't fall on me.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:35 AM   #3

Thank you for the advice. I had read somewhere else that the hinges on the bed might need reinforcement, if you install lifts.

Appreciate your insights.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #4

I installed of gas lifts on the bed in my 183RB. I think the picture explains how I installed them and the only modification I had to do was to add the small blocks at the bottom of the lifts. Just make sure you attach them solidly (glue and screws) as they take the full pressure of the lifts all the time.

I estimated the lift required by propping the bed open with a board on a bathroom scale positioned at the point where I wanted to install the top of the lifts. then I doubled the weight because the angle of the lifts decreases the upward force they exert.

I used a pair of 67 lb lifts. With these lifts, the bed is easy to lift and lower, and it stays open once it is up with a 3" memory foam topper and duvet on top of the mattress. Even with the lifts, I still can't open the bed with my 75 lb dog lying on it and she is stubborn about getting off.

Here is a link to the ones I used:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
20230602_090538.jpg  
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #5

Made mine electric, no more gas struts! My wife loves it, not more lifting by muscle power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FAdqJGws-PA

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Made mine electric, no more gas struts! My wife loves it, not more lifting by muscle power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FAdqJGws-PA
That might be worth it just to see the dogs reaction when the bed starts moving.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #7

I replaced ori mattress with a memory foam short queen, I think 8 or 10 inch, to duplicate the one we use at home (same brand, firmness, etc).

Changed out existing struts with a pair of 150 pound at the recommendation of Supra. Mattress doesn't weigh but a fraction of that, but is required due to amount of leverage on frame.

Bed stays down unless you want it up, then supports itself without something to hold it up.

If your frame does not have a piece of framing where you need it, add it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
I installed of gas lifts on the bed in my 183RB. I think the picture explains how I installed them and the only modification I had to do was to add the small blocks at the bottom of the lifts. Just make sure you attach them solidly (glue and screws) as they take the full pressure of the lifts all the time.

I estimated the lift required by propping the bed open with a board on a bathroom scale positioned at the point where I wanted to install the top of the lifts. then I doubled the weight because the angle of the lifts decreases the upward force they exert.

I used a pair of 67 lb lifts. With these lifts, the bed is easy to lift and lower, and it stays open once it is up with a 3" memory foam topper and duvet on top of the mattress. Even with the lifts, I still can't open the bed with my 75 lb dog lying on it and she is stubborn about getting off.

Here is a link to the ones I used:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Excellent!! Appreciate your help with this. Am going to order these today.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #9

How large are the wooden pieces that you added? Looking to source something similar.

Looking forward to setting this up.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:47 PM   #10

The blocks are about 2 x 2 x 4. I glued, clamped and screwed them to the existing frame and they seem pretty solid. They do not move when they are loaded up with the lifts. It will make sense when you have the lifts in your hands.