Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Beep, beep...Pull Over

I was a couple blocks from home, at a stop sign, when a little C class went by. It was probably from the 80's. One of those little Toyota small pickup based campers, where you wonder how the thing can possibly move.

I ended up behind it, and noticed he had a big back porch welded on the back of the thing. Must've measured three feet by the width of the camper, and had a scooter and some other gear on it. The driver side rear corner of the back porch was 6 to 8 inches lower than the passenger side...scary.

Then, I noticed that his entry steps were down. We're in town, not much traffic, and doing about 30mph. I gave him a couple short beeps on the horn to alert him. And a couple more. And a couple more. And some longer beeps. And pulled over the centerline a little and pointed at the steps. His steps couldn't possibly get any closer to the curb without hitting it. After a few blocks, I had to turn right as he proceeded merrily along.

He must have thought I was an impatient jerk who wanted to get by. But, he was doing the speed limit.

What a dope!

When I'm pulling my trailer, and someone behind me beeps their horn, I pull over.
You?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

Beep Beep Your ,,,,,,,

I was traveling a 2 lane road with my 30 foot travel trailer one time with limited places to pass. This pickup truck kept pulling out, but the road didn't have enough straight away to pass. I was starting to get angry seeing this "jerk" keep pulling out but dropping back, Finally I got to a straight stretch and pulled way over to allow him to pass. When he got along side of me he started with some hand gestures which I took as offensive, until I rolled down the window to flip him a bird when I heard him say " YOU'RE DRAGGING ONE OF YOUR BIKES." Yep.....my bike rack had broken and one bike was bouncing along behind the trailer.....Nuff said.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Team

I will usually flash my lights to get attention. Now days people seem to get offended when you blow the horn.

I have seen people driving merrily along with the antenna up. Once I get their attention, I point up and that usually does it.

If not, they are on their own.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Team

I have a friend who was driving on I-95 and a rim and tire passed him.

He looked back and saw it was from his trailer

Another on this forum arrived at the end of his daily drive and found his bikes and kayaks and carry rack gone from the back of the trailer.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

We were on I 75 south, just south of Tampa, when a truck with a triple axel fifth wheel pulled onto the highway. Two of the three tires on the driver side were blown and shredding. The third tire did not look to be in good shape. We honked the horn to get the drivers attention and the passenger leaned over to the open driver’s window over and said, “we know, we know.“. They were doing over 55. Wish I had video.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

OMG on are first fiver 2005 tore the steps right off on a big bolder in the front yard! Only did that once lol!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Probably steps down and antenna up are pretty common.. Some campgrounds have a checklist sign at the exit reminding people of things they might have forgotten to do.

Or forgotten.. Wife is often mentioned. as is Is Wife on Board?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #8

Last year at the campground we were working at, a Class C rental pulled out with the awning fully extended. We watched him go down the road to the corner. Stop at the stop sign and make a right hand turn.. Wonder how far he got before it broke or he looked in his mirror ? LOL

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

I completely ignored someone honking and gesturing to me. I had left the tail gate to the truck down after a rest break. Luckily, nothing came out. Next time I hope to be smarter when someone tries to get my attention.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

It all depends on which way they are pointing their finger ! Towards me or the RV then I will pull over. If they are pointing out the pretty clouds then I ignore them.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

When I'm pulling my trailer, and someone behind me beeps their horn, I pull over.
You?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #11

Ha, reminds me of a trip in the MH. Wife generally takes care of the inside stuff and I took care of all the outside stuff plus the slides and antennas. I had cranked down the antennas then went out and finished rolling up. We are pulling out and people are pointing so I pulled over and the antenna is standing straight up. No damage, but the wife didn't know I put it down already so she wanted to help and she cranked it the only way it would go, not knowing she put it UP again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Probably steps down and antenna up are pretty common.. Some campgrounds have a checklist sign at the exit reminding people of things they might have forgotten to do.

Or forgotten.. Wife is often mentioned. as is Is Wife on Board?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #12

Then there's the attention that you maybe don't want...

Back in the day, when we graduated from tents to our Very First Popup, we were heading out on our Very First Outing... got about a mile down the road and looked in the mirror, to see that the door had come open.

So, a quick detour into a parking lot, and I jumped out to close it, "before anyone noticed"...

I'd have got away with it, too, if it wasn't for the gentleman who'd enjoyed his lunchtime tipple, a little too much.. "Hey Mishter!! Ya left yer door open !!... *hic* Hey look, thish guy left hiz door open !" At which point, the bar emptied so that everybody could look, and agree that, yes, I had indeed left the door open...

Guess which mishtake - sorry, mistake - I'll never, ever, repeat ?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

IanP's story above reminds me of one:

Years ago with our then new Terry 2000, we were looking for a place to dry camp in the boonies on USFS land. there were already numerous people camped in the woods and it must have been a less than thrilling week for most of them.

SWMBO asked if it wouldn't be prudent to perhaps walk a distance on the very primitive road we were driving and I told her that the road was fine and we shouldn't have any problems. Being a wife who is almost always right, I drove over a large mostly buried rock and then managed to get the same rock jammed between the trailer frame and the stabilizing jack after it bent the jack. The rock was not going to move out of the ground.

So, SWMBO got out and started directing me so we could get the trailer out of the "between a rock and a hard place". After just a few seconds, the nearby campers appeared and also wanted to "help". Must have been 10 adults and more kids all yelling at me as to which way to turn. After a few minutes of that, SWMBO went and sat down on a stump and let the "natives" help. Only took about 30 or 40 minutes with all the help. Pretty sure, SWMBO and I could have done it quicker.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Just this past weekend, I was pulling out of the dump station and Mary noticed a young guy in pickup going the other way trying to get our attention. I pulled over and he was good enough to turn around and come back to tell me I'd left the TV antenna up.

This was a rural area and both of us were impressed this young guy took the time to alert us to what could have been a problem. I probably wouldn't have when I was his age.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #15

I have had three beeb beeb incidents, two pealing tires on popups I had and one for forgotten step down.

All HIGHLY appreciated.

Tried to help a couple of times, both times ignored and not appreciated.

Still try to do a good deed daily!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #16

I went to San Diego two years ago, in my truck without the trailer, and as we're getting into morning traffic heading into LA somebody kept waving at me in the lane next to me. Could not figure out what the problem was, tried to let her in, nothing. Stopped a few miles later to fuel up and discovered that the tailgate had dropped down! Luckily the way the truck was packed it was our big suitcases and the cooler at the back, which all extended up past the glass flap of the canopy, so we didn't lose anything. I make EXTRA sure to close, latch, and then pull on that tailgate now!
alegria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #17

To MURFF:
What does SWMBO stand for?
Me and DW have spent the last 10 minutes trying to decipher it? 🤪
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #18

When I'm in a campground and people are passing by to leave, I always try to take a peek. So far I've alerted people to an open window, an antenna up, a bathroom vent left up, and a cord still plugged into the pedestal.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroRobin View Post
To MURFF:
What does SWMBO stand for?
Me and DW have spent the last 10 minutes trying to decipher it? 🤪
She who must be obeyed.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #20

Just recently, my DW and myself took our newly purchased TT on our first trip. As we were travelling on a long portion of open road, a white vehicle pulled along side of us. I pulled to my right and as the vehicle pulled next to me, their horn blew. I looked at the vehicle and the female passenger pointed towards the rear of my TT. I looked in my mirror and saw that my popper hose was flapping in the wind. I pulled over and DW went back to find that the end caps were missing from the bumper. Needless to say, new caps were purchased along with two extras.
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote