Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #11

I keep a shoebox size plastic storage container in the small section of the kitchen sink, and use it to hold water from washing dishes, washing hands, etc., and use that water for flushing the toilet (with the water pump shut off). I'll give the pedal a quick push (pump back on) afterwards to give the bowl a clean rinse. Then, I give the bowl a spray of my sanitizing concoction (about a quart of water, a tablespoon or so of Clorox bleach, and about 1/4 tsp of Dawn dish detergent, in an old Formula 409 bottle.) which keeps the bowl clean and deodorized.

To minimize bath water usage, unless I'm really grungy, I use another storage container filled with about a gallon of hot water. I add one or two TBS of baby wash (Walmart brand is reasonably priced), and use that to take a sponge bath. Since the baby wash is so gentle, there's no need to rinse afterwards. When I take a "real" shower, it's Navy. And once in a while, if I didn't do anything to get dirty or work up a sweat, I'll just go without.

When washing dishes, I use about a pint of hot water in the largest dirty pan or bowl, and wash the others from that. All that water gets dumped in the sink mounted storage bin for toilet use, too. Dishes are rinsed under a slowly running kitchen faucet, which also drips into the shoebox.

Heck, one time I bought a yard of sod, place it near the TT and used gray water to keep it nice and green.

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Don't know if all Jayco MH's have this feature, but ours came with a short hose and a setting on the water system that will pump water from a water can/jug into the fresh water tank. A great convenience when dry camping. We bought a 5 gallon water jug at Wallyworld that we carry in our toad.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
Don't know if all Jayco MH's have this feature, but ours came with a short hose and a setting on the water system that will pump water from a water can/jug into the fresh water tank. A great convenience when dry camping. We bought a 5 gallon water jug at Wallyworld that we carry in our toad.
You can do the same thing (and I have) by simply using the winterizing hose at the water pump. Just set the valves in the appropriate position and pump from a 5 gallon container inside the TT.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Perhaps the short hose Jayco provided is really intended for winterizing. However, I've lived in Arizona and California for nearly 50 years now and have no clue what "winterizing a RV" except to say that during winter is when we travel most often.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
However, I've lived in Arizona and California for nearly 50 years now and have no clue what "winterizing a RV" except to say that during winter is when we travel most often.
Winterizing is clearing out all the water in the RV - in climates below freezing. This is to avoid damage by expanding freezing water. It is amazing how a molecular structure change in H2O can cause SO much headache....lol
Old 02-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

Camping World has (had?) a 40 gallon water bladder that when empty, rolled up to about the size of a 12-pack. It's designed to go on your ROOF (of your tow vehicle) to fill it, then gravity drain to your fresh water tank. I purchased a small 12v water pump, which I wired to a trailer hitch plug, so I use that to transfer the water, but I've used it at the track in Dover and while beach camping without hook-ups....

Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote