Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Question Best Quality Camper Cover

I am waiting on the delivery of my new camper (Jayco Jay Flight 23MB) but in the mean time I have started to do some research on good camper covers. I will most likely be storing my camper in my back yard for the winter and between trips in the summer. I have been advised to get a cover to protect the roof, paint and everything else from the elements. I wanted to know what brands to consider and tips to make the cover last longer.

Here is what I have found so far:

* Whatever brand purchased, make sure to strap down the cover so it's tight. A cover that flops in the wind will tear.

* Before putting a cover on, pad all the sharp corners to prevent things from snagging and tearing. (The corners of the TT and roof ladder)

As always, thanks in advance!

Andrew
WildlifeTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

We have a similar question, only we are in Arizona, where it gets pretty darn hot in the summer, and the sun will be beating down, so we wonder if there needs to be a space between the cover and the top of the trailer. Any ideas about that, too?
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #3

The value of covers is very debatable. If it doesn't fit perfect the rubbing from even a slight breeze will cause damage to the roof and paint. Where I live heat is a bigger issue, and covers will actually work like an oven. I have seen this first hand with a neighbor who supposedly had a high quality breathable ADCO cover. It cooked the finish, caused fading and cracking to the decals.

I have chose to just protect the finish by washing and waxing regularly. I was before and after each trip, and hand wax the trailer every spring and fall.

I protect the roof in a similar way -- I keep it clean and let the material do what it is designed to do. I wash the roof each time I wash the trailer.

Takes about an hour for me to wash and dry the trailer. Waxing is a big job, about 4 additional hours.

IMO the only good coverage is indoor storage or some type of pole barn.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #4

Well, I bought an ADCO cover for mine last fall from CW. Probably $350 +\- on sale.

The first day while installing one of the straps on the rear wall ripped off at the seam. Luckily, ADCO includes grommets in this area, to provide a backup method when the strap rips off.

It performed good I suppose all winter. I saw no paint or discoloration yet.

I was a little bummed when I realized I couldn't do much inside during the winter, because I need to extend the slides. When covered, you can not extend any slides.

This spring, I had had enough of winter, so I pulled,the cover off during a recent 60 deg day. Impatient.p on my part, I admit. But now I have a partially wet cover that I needed to try drying on the lawn.

Now I have a huge balled up cover that is taking up the better part of my truck bed, because I don't have a good storage bag for the fool thing.

All in all, im probably going to try selling it on Craigslist.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

I can't say specifically for Jayco, but in general my local dealers don't recommend them. I had one on my last camper and snugged it down well, but where the cover touched the roof corners, it would wear/rub the rubber roof. I had to seal those areas quite a few times. I was advised my 3 local parts places that covers aren't a good idea on rubber roof campers.

TT - 2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
TV - 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins diesel
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Uhhh....

A big ugly blue or brown tarp and bungee cords???

Murff
Attached Thumbnails
39201512442.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote