Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Best roof cleaner?

We have a 2020 Jayfeather 22rk. It has a Diflex II TPO roof. Is that considered a rubber roof? It needs cleaning and wasn't sure we should just wash it with Murphys or is there somethings better?
loriemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #2

I have a 2022 and just used a mild solution of Dawn dish soap / water in a 5 gallon bucket and an automotive soft bristle car wash brush / wand. Worked like a champ.
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
CAG

I think there is info on this in the owner's manual at least for most RVs. Generally the suggested is Dawn and water. BUT- I did a quick Google, which is very helpful when looking for RV solutions, and there were pages of directions and suggestions.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #4

Thanks I tried Googling before I posted this and found very little info. I didn't want info from ads or sponsors. Was hoping to hear from other owners...hope that makes sense. Our manual just says use a medium brush and a roof cleaner.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms View Post
Thanks I tried Googling before I posted this and found very little info. I didn't want info from ads or sponsors. Was hoping to hear from other owners...hope that makes sense. Our manual just says use a medium brush and a roof cleaner.

They are there. I should clarify that I actually us another search engine but if I said I used Duck-Duck-Go noone would know what I am talking about. I am surprised you found little since there are a number of the usual RV "teachers" who do videos on various RV stuff who have covered this. Common question and one covered here numerous times.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Our manual just says use a medium brush and a roof cleaner.
Sounds like you got your answer, doesn't it? My manual says Murphy Oil Soap. My trailer is almost 7 years old , roof has never been cleaned and I got a bottle of Dicor roof cleaner from my FIL that I plan to use this winter in Florida to clean it. If that doesn't work, I'll use the Murphys.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #7

Small amount of Dawn in a bucket of water and a soft-bristle pole brush. Gets the roof clean enough to satisfy me and I’m the only one who sees it. It isn’t rocket science. It is covered all winter, so it is in good shape.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Sounds like you got your answer, doesn't it? My manual says Murphy Oil Soap. My trailer is almost 7 years old , roof has never been cleaned and I got a bottle of Dicor roof cleaner from my FIL that I plan to use this winter in Florida to clean it. If that doesn't work, I'll use the Murphys.
Dealer recommended Dicor as well but he sells it..so why wouldn't he? Haha. I was most concerned with the chemicals affecting the roof.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
We have a 2020 Jayfeather 22rk. It has a Diflex II TPO roof. Is that considered a rubber roof? It needs cleaning and wasn't sure we should just wash it with Murphys or is there somethings better?
To answer your question, no, it's not a rubber roof. I found a couple of quoes about cleaning and maintenance.

"Prepare to use a mild, non-abrasive household detergent as the cleaning solution. Use a floor broom or a soft-bristle, long-handle brush along with the cleaning solution to clean the surface of the TPO rooftop system. During the cleaning, be extra careful to avoid damaging the top surface of the TPO roofing membrane."

"There seems to be consensus in many RV forums that indicate Dawn can be used to clean your RV roof. The top of your RV roof should be cleaned at least four times per year and more frequently if you are traveling. Make sure and do your own roof inspection during those times and look for cracks, holes or damaged areas."

We sure don't clean ours four times a season, just once if time and weather allow, but we do check it twice a year for anything that needs sealing. That's far more important to us.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #10

Best roof cleaner

Been rving for 30+yrs never cleaned roof, too risky and ours always looks fine. Do check it twice yrly for seals. When was last time you cleaned your homes roof. Unnecessary make work that is not seen unless you are flying over it. Just keeping specialty roof cleaning co's happy
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #11

We have a Jayco Jay Flight 264 BHW and our trailer does have what is considered a rubber roof. We use Thetford "Rubber Roof Cleaner & Conditioner" that I bought online. The label says it cleans rubber, fiberglass & aluminum roofs. The product is a little pricey, but it did an excellent job cleaning my 2-year-old roof! However, I am more concerned about the conditioning aspect of this product rather than the cleaning ability, that's why we chose it for our trailer roof.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

The two types of rubber roof are TPO and EPDM, but they do have different characteristics and requirements for cleaning/ maintenance.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
As other members have suggested; mild dish soap solution, soft bristle brush, rinse. I prefer antibacterial soap for covid ; )
Anyway be sure to follow up with a UV roof treatment or it’s a moot point.
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
Anyway be sure to follow up with a UV roof treatment or it’s a moot point.
???

Your roof is already UV stable. The point of cleaning is to inspect the roof and maybe to prevent black streaks. UV treatment is flushing your money away.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #15

Full-time going on four years and 69,000 miles have never washed the roof. Inspect and use a leaf blower. We are good about having annual service and always include roof inspection. Looks great and no problems.
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdonport View Post
Full time going on four years and 69,000 miles have never washed the roof. Inspect and use leaf blower. Looks great and no problems.
I like this approach. If I use anything, it's just a little Murphy Soap. But really, less is more. Inspect it regularly and keep it sealed. That's it.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #17

I should have said I won’t clean My roof without treatment, otherwise do as you please. IMO it makes the TPO skin more pliable (it survived a hellacious hailstorm that damaged vent caps). And what’s $5.00 for a treatment, it won’t break the bank. Lol

Inspect roof regularly and keep it sealed for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
267738B5-0DE8-406F-951F-F60B5190A01B.jpeg   6E9710B5-AB97-49CC-A0E0-9B51E5EF8F26.jpeg  
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #18

Aerospace 303 Cleaner and Protectant.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #19

I use dawn (diluted of course) and the Ryobi 18 volt rotary power scrubber with the medium bristle head. I also use it to wash the vertical surfaces using the soft bristle head. The scrubber extends from 3' to 5 ' and cuts my wash time by more than half.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:31 PM   #20

Everyone talks about using dawn to clean roof, can you use it on fiberglass siding. And what do you use for mildew? Dicor maker of the Diflex 2 said dawn to clean an deluded bleach or tilex for mildew.
Any thought on this?
Thanks Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote