Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #1

Best tow vehicle to upgrade to

I am looking to upgrade my TV to something beefier to tow my White Hawk 23BH. I have made one trip, to being the trailer home from Montana to Oregon with my 2014 Tahoe. I would say the it felt minimally adequate for the job.
Would appreciate the voice of experience from those who have experience towing this size/weight trailer. What do you recommend for size/model vehicle for this? We will be doing some cross country trips this summer.
CPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #2

Best tow vehicle to upgrade to

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAJIM View Post
I am looking to upgrade my TV to something beefier to tow my White Hawk 23BH. I have made one trip, to being the trailer home from Montana to Oregon with my 2014 Tahoe. I would say the it felt minimally adequate for the job.

Would appreciate the voice of experience from those who have experience towing this size/weight trailer. What do you recommend for size/model vehicle for this? We will be doing some cross country trips this summer.

Pick a 2500 in the brand with the features you like. It’s light enough for gas, but you’ll be grinning ear to ear with a diesel. Biggest prob with the SUVs are the short wheelbase and low payload capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
I would suggest most 1/2 tons if properly equipped would easily tow that trailer.

You're looking at 6500lbs GVWR, which means a tongue weight of around 650-975lbs which falls into the 1/2 category.

Obviously a 3/4 ton would also be fine, but might be more than you want to drive as a daily driver.

The gas 1/2 tons get decent mileage (ie. 2.7Eco F150) and can handle the weight of the 23MBH.

If you go to 3/4 ton gas, you're going to get rough mileage when not towing (like 15-17mpg), where the 2.7eco will get you 22-25.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

One ton two wheel drive pick up, do not here many complaining of having to much truck.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
That size TT I'd look at an F150 Ecoboost- overkill for future upgrade would be an F250 diesel.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
That size TT I'd look at an F150 Ecoboost- overkill for future upgrade would be an F250 diesel.
We have heard for the price of the Ecoboost you are close to the price of a 3/4 ton rig!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We have heard for the price of the Ecoboost you are close to the price of a 3/4 ton rig!
True - that is why when I got to 92,000miles on my F150 I now have an F250

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

As you can see you're going to get a wide range of recommendations here. I would suggest that you tell us if the TV will need to be used for other purposes as well. Is it a daily driver? Do you need an SUV? As others have mentioned you might consider something that will future-proof your needs.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

I bought towards the end of the season an 06 23b. I too feel my 1/2 ton sierra is marginally adequate. I'd prefer a 6.0 2500 and a 4l80 tans. It tows fun but is doggy in hills. The extra power would be much appreciated.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #10

I find this type of question a little silly, because we are not going to have the same driving style as others. You don’t give enough information about how you use the vehicle ever day, or how much life cycle fuel economy mean to you. You tell us about what you are towing and that the Tahoe was not to your liking, why? Was it not feeling stable, lack of power? I have had people say the load leveling suspensions cause problems with weight distribution hitch systems. If it was a lack of power, what gear ratio, engine, and transmission does it have.
I tow a 28BHBE with a 2016 Duramax Colorado. Before anyone jumps all over me for being over loaded, it was CAT scale weight loaded leaving from our first camping trip. Yes, I am close to max capacity. It pulls very well with a properly set up hitch with sway and weight distribution built in. No, it will not out run people leaving a stop light. Though as background, I am use to running a 425 hp semi with a trailer weighting between 130,000-150,000 lbs, and that demands patience because it is not fast accelerating. So, I not worried about being fast. I use this truck as a daily driver. I put on average about 21,000 miles on it a year. So, the fact that my overall mileage with this truck even after towing in still 27.4 mpg is what makes me smile every time I get in it.
So depending on your driving style, demands, and willingness to pay at the pump, is what you will have to decide. The bigger and heavier the tow vehicle allows for margin of error in driving.
tcoilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoilburner View Post
I find this type of question a little silly, because we are not going to have the same driving style as others. You don’t give enough information about how you use the vehicle ever day, or how much life cycle fuel economy mean to you. You tell us about what you are towing and that the Tahoe was not to your liking, why? Was it not feeling stable, lack of power? I have had people say the load leveling suspensions cause problems with weight distribution hitch systems. If it was a lack of power, what gear ratio, engine, and transmission does it have.
I tow a 28BHBE with a 2016 Duramax Colorado. Before anyone jumps all over me for being over loaded, it was CAT scale weight loaded leaving from our first camping trip. Yes, I am close to max capacity. It pulls very well with a properly set up hitch with sway and weight distribution built in. No, it will not out run people leaving a stop light. Though as background, I am use to running a 425 hp semi with a trailer weighting between 130,000-150,000 lbs, and that demands patience because it is not fast accelerating. So, I not worried about being fast. I use this truck as a daily driver. I put on average about 21,000 miles on it a year. So, the fact that my overall mileage with this truck even after towing in still 27.4 mpg is what makes me smile every time I get in it.
So depending on your driving style, demands, and willingness to pay at the pump, is what you will have to decide. The bigger and heavier the tow vehicle allows for margin of error in driving.

YOU'RE OVERLOADED....
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

I am not going to suggest a tow vechical I will just give my experience with my truck. Last summer I towed a 284bhsw SLX gwr just over 7k loaded. I towed with 2014 max tow f150 I towed around 5000 miles with no issues . The truck did great but it was a lease so I now have 2018 f150 max tow and it should tow even better(have not towed with the new truck yet) The only change I am making is I am purchasing a better wd/sway system before we head out to Glacier National. The truck is my wife’s daily driver and she loves it.

With that said we’re a Ford family my son and 2 brothers all tow with f150’s with no issues.

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
YOU'RE OVERLOADED....

Cat scaled just under. Don’t you read the whole post!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Cat scaled just under. Don’t you read the whole post!
I did... I just wanted to say it anyways....LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
. . . . I tow a 28BHBE with a 2016 Duramax Colorado . . . .
Glad you're comfortable towing your 28BHBE with your Colorado. Not sure it would be an acceptable match for us.

We tow our Jayco travel trailer, which only has a GVWR 700 lbs. more than your 28BHBE, with a '16, 1-ton diesel. Contrary to what some say, you can tell it's back there. The fuel economy at 60 mph is roughly equivalent to what we got towing a 5th wheel that weighed almost 3,000 lbs. more---so quite a bit more wind resistance vs. a 5th wheel. We've towed several 7,000 - 8,000 lb. travel trailers (loaded weight) with 1/2-ton trucks. It's doable, but far from comfortable for us.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Glad you're comfortable towing your 28BHBE with your Colorado. Not sure it would be an acceptable match for us.

We tow our Jayco travel trailer, which only has a GVWR 700 lbs. more than your 28BHBE, with a '16, 1-ton diesel. Contrary to what some say, you can tell it's back there. The fuel economy at 60 mph is roughly equivalent to what we got towing a 5th wheel that weighed almost 3,000 lbs. more---so quite a bit more wind resistance vs. a 5th wheel. We've towed several 7,000 - 8,000 lb. travel trailers (loaded weight) with 1/2-ton trucks. It's doable, but far from comfortable for us.

I am glad you like what you have! The post was more to get the OP to think about what they like more, and to show that driving style and comfort level is more important than someone telling them they need 1-ton dually to pull 23’ trailer. Second most important thing is proper hitch equipment set up correctly.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #17
dee

What is the colorado towing / axle and payload rating? Just curious.

I towed my 28BHBE with my ram 1500 ecodiesel(more power and bigger vehicle), and it was not very reassuring. Yes, i COULD tow it, but would rather have some margin personally. I was also at my axle rating UNLOADED......So I traded for a 2500 Ram Cummins.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
I am glad you like what you have! The post was more to get the OP to think about what they like more, and to show that driving style and comfort level is more important than someone telling them they need 1-ton dually to pull 23’ trailer. Second most important thing is proper hitch equipment set up correctly.
Our post said nothing about the OP "needing a 1-ton dually to pull a 23' trailer", or for that matter, "that we (especially) like what we have". Please reread what we posted. If anything we were less than complimentary about our own truck--lol! What we did say was, we have a preference for not using a 1/2-ton truck to tow 7,000 - 8,000 lb. travel trailers. Bottom line, there are pros and cons when using any truck as a TV.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
What is the colorado towing / axle and payload rating? Just curious.

I towed my 28BHBE with my ram 1500 ecodiesel(more power and bigger vehicle), and it was not very reassuring. Yes, i COULD tow it, but would rather have some margin personally. I was also at my axle rating UNLOADED......So I traded for a 2500 Ram Cummins.

I will have to check tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #20

Lots of nice jerk ball comments on this post tonight. Why can't people keep on point and just answer the OP question, I am sure he is now more confused than ever, he is thinking he needs a F550 to pull his trailer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote