Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1

Better rear bumper

Has anyone replaced the weak rear bumper with something that can really carry anything other than the spare tire carrier?

Would like to see some solutions - I want to put a genny box for 2 Honda 2000s on it with out it breaking off - not worried about front hitch weight - will deal with that.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Consider this bumper mod. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=4448. But consider the possible effects of having that much weight on the back on the tongue weight of the trailer.
BTW welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
Has anyone replaced the weak rear bumper....snip
Your right about that...........,

Not my TT, but a member over on another forum. The two pieces of pipe were flag holders and there "was" a small tray that held an aluminum grill (less the LP tank).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Yikes, that`s not a pretty image! And that`s not that much weight to break it loose like that, unless there were long flagpoles that stressed it even more.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Your right about that...........,

Not my TT, but a member over on another forum. The two pieces of pipe were flag holders and there "was" a small tray that held an aluminum grill (less the LP tank).

Bob
Yes, this is very close to what happened to the original owner of my TT when he just welded the receiver on the bottom of the stock square tube. The brackets did not tear completely, but almost.

Luckily, they heard their bike rack smacking the ground before the bumper came all the way off. My welder fixed the original tears and added what you can see in the thread referenced above.

Works great now as explained in the mod thread.

Mark
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Just my opinion, but I would not want to put several thousand dollars of generator on the back bumper where I could not keep an eye on it... one good bump and *wham*, there it goes, with you potentially not having any clue until your next stop...
phemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

I recently bought a 2009 26BH, and have a Champion 4000 generator weighing in at just over 100lbs. My original plan was to put the generator on a cargo rack, mated to a bumper mounted hitch. Upon investigation it turns out that the stock bumper has nowhere near the needed capacity. Now I am considering a frame mounted hitch, and going forward with the cargo rack. TV is SUV loaded with the family, so carrying the generator in the TV is simply not an option.

Thoughts on this?
thermocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

I wouldnt put my $2000 generators on the back of my trailer in plain view as well... They have to be out-of-site to be safe from sticky fingers...

They use DREMEL tools now to cut thru almost anything in 30 seconds or less...The real bad thing they usually use your trailer 120VAC to operate their dremel tool.... geeesch...

Mount them in your pass-through storage or in the back of your closed-in pickup truck bed... I can carry two 2KW Honda EU2000i generators in the two tailgate corners of my truck and they will not interfere with the fifth wheel operation. When not towing I can close my fold-a-cover folding hard plastic panels and generators are completely out-of-site and locked up and goes where I go...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

It's not uncommon for people to haul gennys in the trailer just inside the door. In fact I am sure some JOF members will say that they do it without issue. While I am not familiar with your unit dimensions if you are carefull with fuel and it's clean, put a rubber door mat under it and you should be good to go.

I would go for that over the inside of your vehicle since it's not a truck or bumper mount anyday. Out of sight out of mind until camping keeping it fairly safe too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #10

Took a closer look at the bumper after work yesterday. Basically a square tube welded to a couple of I-beams, with a piece of angle welded into the inside joints for a little extra strength. I can see why these bumpers are rated to only 100lbs. But, it seems really simple to add a couple of heavy brackets to the outer joints, which should increase the strength of the union between the bumper and the frame. I work with a structural engineer, and plan to provide him with the means to analyze what the problem.
thermocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #11

I have a 26RLS and asked the guy at the place where I had some hitch work done about mounting a receiver on the frame. he said it would take some custom work, and with the frame being so thin, he advised against it.
Jebster is offline   Reply With Quote