Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Champion Dual Fuel 3500 problems

All,
Yesterday I posted a question about an "issue" I had with my out of box experience with my new 3500. (I was so proud of my deal with Cabela's also *sigh*)

Basically, it would start, ran rough, eco switch would not work, and would not generate electricity which is a "small" problem, as you know its ...
A GENERATOR!!!

Checked plug, made sure the breaker was not tripped..
OL research.. which strangely.. it VERY hard to find OL issues with Champion.. either they are perfect (my luck) OR Champion is REAL good at scrubbing...

So called Champion this morning.. The tech asked me "what lights were lit?".. I replied "NONE"... he replied.. "no you don't understand.. What lights" on the front panel!?" I replied "None.. no lights at all" .. he replied " "Impossible".. what lights.. you know.. those 3 lights on the front panel".. I again informed him, I know what lights you are referencing.. there is no output,, its DOA! He proceeded to lecture me that it cant be true, as the Generator would not start.. As you can Imagine, the conversation digressed from there..

He than said (keep in mind BRAND NEW OUT OF BOX) I had to take it "to a service center".. that is in Denver which is about 1.5 hours away in good traffic. And have them "look at the lights"..

I said no, and could they drop ship another as I only ran it on Propane and could drain the oil.. NOPE take it to service or "Cabela's" and negotiate a refund.. and that was that..

I am leaving in a week.. so I will need to convince cabalas to refund my money, and than find another alternative.

In talking to Cabela's, it "sounds like they will be supportive".. but I have to take time off from work and drive 45 min's to my closet store to have this discussion.

You all might be asking yourself.. why am I crying about this to you all.. well my purpose and point is easy..

To poke a hole in the perception that Champion Generators are rock solid, and the same about the "great service" perception..

Their service was underwhelming and poor for my situation... and the quality of the generator obviously is poor at best..

Soo.. BUYER BEWARE if you are buying a Champion, and keep your receipt.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that but I have a 4000 watt champion and it had a small issue with it when i bought it would run good but it would run a tiny bit rough after it warmed up so called champion support service and they sent me a replacement part overnighted. (Tank vent). and this generator has had countless and countless hours on it, its 7 years old and starts on the first pull everytime. I bought it at tractor supply. I recommend this generator for anyone who cant afford $1000 dollar Honda.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

Mine only has a few hours past the 5 hour oil change but works great.

In the early 80s I worked at a computer manufacturer (ADDS subsidiary of NCR) And they used to run the new units in a heated room for 24-48 hours. If they still work, they shipped.

I also bought in the early 90s a Sony ES receiver ($1200) and it failed on day two. They replaced it immediately and lasted 15 years and I sold it still working.

I guess my point is I find that if electronics fail its often in there infancy as you have found out.

I bet if you got another one, you could grow old together with it.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #4

Hello,

Maybe.. and Cabela's so far has been great to work with.. I do have the option to get a replacement.. but to be honest their /champion service response, coupled with an out of the box experience makes me very hesitant to get another one.

I have a 2000 that always worked but was VERY twitchy, and somewhat temperamental...

My challenge is I really like the propane option... and don't want to spend $2K for a Honda or Yamaha.. not to mention the >3000 Watt which I need for my trailer weight 120 - 130 pounds.. I can handle the 100 of the champion.. 125 and above is a challenge..

I know I want it all.. you know a Generator that actually works!!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Ever thought it could be your side of the conversation with the sales rep from Champion too? If look at your story, don't get excited things can happen. Be glad Cabela's make it right for you, they don't have too. Just take a look at the RV's leaving the RV manufacturing plants, then is the generator just a small incident.

Yes you had though luck being in possession of a new DOA, which is probably a isolated incident as many have good luck with the generators from Champion and their Service and Parts department are excellent.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #6

I’ve been using a Champion Dual Fuel for 2 years now and it’s been flawless. I loved the fact that when the power went out at the campground for a few days I could throw a 20lb grill tank beside it and it ran for 14hrs straight before the bottle was empty. It powered my AC, lights, and t.v. keeping everyone happy and content. Hopefully they will get you all sorted out but I’m definitely not on the Beware side of the aisle. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Champion and their products.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

ALJO,
Thanks for your positive outlook.. and while it may not seem to be a big deal to some.., $1K to me is a lot of money.. and yes I do EXPECT the product to work out of the box.. silly I know.. and don't expect a professional phone support person to challenge and question something so obvious.. and than not give much if any attempt to assist. NOTE - they demand in their easy start guide and manuals in the box to contact them for support and not return it to the store. Otherwise I would not contacted them and just went back to Cabela's.

And yes Cabela's does have to honor their sale.(and they are) ... again.. it does not work. You cant sell something that does not work. As stated.. THEY have been great with about 3 different phones call to their professional phone support personal.

Again my intent here is to illustrate the shortfall, in my experience with Champion.. I know they have a very zealous following, and my small feedback is meant to counter that assumption.. take or leave it is up to you.

Best!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

I have to agree. It should work out of the box and you got a rude representative. It is good that Cabela is helping.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

There’s nothing more frustrating than spending hard-earned $$ on something that does not work right. My sympathies. A lousy customer service rep can make or break a company’s otherwise great reputation (which Champion seems to have.)In cases like this, I’ll often ask to speak to a supervisor or manager figuring the CSR is either incompetent, untrained or just having a bad day. That usually works. If not, then I kiss off the company and go elsewhere, leaving bad reviews in my wake. Good luck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #10

Don't blame the OP for being disappointed and angry. IMO, he drew the short straw on this one---stuff happens---even with the best of products (and companies). No company can keep all their customers happy---not even Toyota . . . or Costco (who has the most liberal, open-ended return policy in the retail industry).

I've owned 4 Champion generators and have always received outstanding tech and warranty support. As for Cabela's, through the years they've always stepped up to the plate to make every bad purchase right.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Mine only has a few hours past the 5 hour oil change but works great.

In the early 80s I worked at a computer manufacturer (ADDS subsidiary of NCR) And they used to run the new units in a heated room for 24-48 hours. If they still work, they shipped.

I also bought in the early 90s a Sony ES receiver ($1200) and it failed on day two. They replaced it immediately and lasted 15 years and I sold it still working.

I guess my point is I find that if electronics fail its often in there infancy as you have found out.

I bet if you got another one, you could grow old together with it.
Well said
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Don't blame the OP for being disappointed and angry. IMO, he drew the short straw on this one---stuff happens---even with the best of products (and companies). No company can keep all their customers happy---not even Toyota . . . or Costco (who has the most liberal, open-ended return policy in the retail industry).

I've owned 4 Champion generators and have always received outstanding tech and warranty support. As for Cabela's, through the years they've always stepped up to the plate to make every bad purchase right.
But why then do so many people on JOF expect absolute perfection? Just asking.....
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #13

Thanks Camp Now.. yes it did sour me greatly on Champion.. ended up getting my money back.. GREAT JOB CABELA'S, Now I have a decision to make.. try Champ again *gulp* or maybe the Briggs p3000.. really struggling. Fool me once.... hmmm
Old 06-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #14

Grumpy...

If expecting a new $1K generator to work out of the box generating power is expecting perfection.. GUILTY as charged. Yes I do expect that.

Now I do understand that things happen... however, I do EXPECT the seller to make it right professionally and timely, which Cabela's ABSOLUTLY did to anyone's expectation...

I also EXPECT the OEM, in this case Champion, when they insert themselves in the return process (NOTE - AGAIN THEY demand that the customer contact them BEFORE returning to the store), be professional, helpful and be willing to offer timely efficient solutions to preclude you from returning the product. They did none of these, and it fact said, return it and good luck.

Just a little perspective..
Old 06-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklwil View Post
Grumpy...

If expecting a new $1K generator to work out of the box generating power is expecting perfection.. GUILTY as charged. Yes I do expect that.

Now I do understand that things happen... however, I do EXPECT the seller to make it right professionally and timely, which Cabela's ABSOLUTLY did to anyone's expectation...

I also EXPECT the OEM, in this case Champion, when they insert themselves in the return process (NOTE - AGAIN THEY demand that the customer contact them BEFORE returning to the store), be professional, helpful and be willing to offer timely efficient solutions to preclude you from returning the product. They did none of these, and it fact said, return it and good luck.

Not to get too far off of the subject, but this is exactly the reason why I prefer to buy local unless there is no other choice. Be it electronics, RV's, appliances, or anything for that matter, I like to see it in person before I buy and know where I can take it if it doesn't meet my expectations.

I realize that isn't always possible for everyone in every situation, but it's a rule I try to live by. And, the local businesses I deal with are well aware of what the online prices are, and at least match if not do better than the online vendors.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #16

Any and ALL products will lay an egg on occasion. It's unfortunate that you got a bad one. I'm sure Cabela's will issue a refund. As far as 'contact them' before returning to the store, I've been seeing this on quite a few products these days. My rule is, if I call the manufacturer and don't get satisfaction, back it goes to place of purchase. Most states have consumer laws requiring defective products be refunded for x number of days.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #17

Midnight..
I don't think your off tropic at all...your spot on and lesson I knew, but was seduced by a GREAT deal.

My replacement, will be local, even if its about 10% higher. The local shop is meeting me halfway between the OL price and their in store price...

The OL experience is a challenge for this type of technology, and to fair, from a process perspective, puts the rep for the OEM in a no win. How can you respond to an immediate need (as was my situation) when your "process" in your tool box is a hour long commute to a service center that might take weeks for repair? Better that they stayed out of it and let the customer work directly with the store. I know why they do it, they don't want a lot of RMAs for simple issues.. but they must balance that against alienating their customers.

Thanks much for your inputs.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Camp Now.. yes it did sour me greatly on Champion.. ended up getting my money back.. GREAT JOB CABELA'S, Now I have a decision to make.. try Champ again *gulp* or maybe the Briggs p3000.. really struggling. Fool me once.... hmmm
As I posted earlier, no company (or individual, for that matter) is capable of producing flawless products and services. To be honest, the situation you described would not have bothered me very much. It happens occasionally---even with the best of companies---it is what it is.

Hope your Plan B works out for you.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Grumpy...

Was not in response to your post, it was a follow-up.to what Campnow said:

"stuff happens---even with the best of products (and companies). No company can keep all their customers happy---not even Toyota . . . or Costco"

and the fact many think JAYCO has to be 100% perfect.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #20

Ahhh. Bad assumption on my part..

I have been nothing but please with Jayco' s.. we are on our 3rd.. 1st 2 never in the shop.. this one minor issues only. You can see where the quality is not quite what it use too be.. but its covered by their warranty. Now getting into Camping World for an appointment or parts... that a different subject.. LOL